Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:42 pm

Post subject: *UPDATE* Resolution is working for me.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 pm 

Steel originally told me that it wouldn't result in any FPS drop but he was completely wrong. It's a huge FPS drop for me and I have a fairly good computer.. just not an amazing graphic card.

I was pushing 300 fps standing in town before. My fps dropped a whole 200.

I already know it's going to be bad for a lot of people especially in graphic extensive areas. I know tons of people with worse comps than me and they won't even be able to play at all now I'm sure of it.

EDIT:

It wasn't a bad idea.. take that back. Was a great idea but I don't know if it's going to work on a universal level due to the much higher CPU req to run it effectively.

EDIT UPDATE:

After further testing I'm running it fine.

Last edited by Lee on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: This new resolution = complete failure
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 pm 

100-120 fps on hell tundra so far. Drops to 90 sometimes, I bet it will drop to 30 in few cases.
Game originally had requirement of p2 400mhz, any slowdowns are caused to old engine, dx8 and unsupported anymore graphic options in newest cards(you must emulate them). Try all 3 graphic options in d2vidtest.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:48 pm 

Update.. just went into Tundra WP and dropped to 0 FPS and had to CTRL+ALT+DELETE whole game frozen. There's no way this is going to work.. especially in bigger parties w/ summons etc.

I had no summons casted or merc even up. Just oak on a rabies druid. My life was halfed before I could even move due to the lag.

@steel

What is your CPU + Specs?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:49 pm 

So higher res when implemented is mandatory? It'snot just an option?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 pm 

E5200 OC to 3.5ghz
4gb ram
ati hd6850

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:53 pm 

I mean.. I don't understand how you even came up with the assertion that higher resolution wouldn't effect FPS. It's common gaming sense.. any time you increase the resolution of any game it's going to create lower FPS/higher CPU Req. It's just inevitable. The higher graphic details are and the more stuff on the screen results in needing a better comp to run it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:55 pm 

@steel E5200 wtf is that?? A pentium? And dunno abt that card.. I'll have to buy a new video card and that should fix it. I'm just worried about half the realm who have much crappier CPUS than me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:59 pm 

It's a model name, it's pentium dual core, 100$ unit with great OC capabilities.

Btw. I've tested on 2nd machine high res. It's an old p4, 2gb dram and geforce gt220 and it runs the same as here.
Quote:
I mean.. I don't understand how you even came up with the assertion that higher resolution wouldn't effect FPS. It's common gaming sense..
Not really. Modern machines should generate what's going on screen faster, playing on lower res is just forcing your cpu to stress more, d2 already is taking 100% of one core resources. Well unless you have still p3 700mhz and win98 ;/

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:03 am 

I have no idea then.... more people will have to reply to see what's going on.

Here are my specs.

AMD Phenom X4 3.0
4G DDR3 ram

ATI Radeon HD 3300 onboard video

No idea.. how ur getting better fps than me on that p4. Makes no sense.

@Steel that makes no sense at all.

Lower resolution in any game has always meant better FPS. I don't know where you get your information from or how you came up with lower res = worse fps.

People play in windows for a reason. It gives you better FPS than fullscreen.

The less that is on the screen and worse the graphics are means the easier it is to run that.

Bigger screen, better graphics = need a better comp to play.

PERIOD.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:09 am 

Quote:
Lower resolution in any game has always meant better FPS. I don't know where you get your information from or how you came up with lower res = worse fps.

People play in windows for a reason. It gives you better FPS than fullscreen.
I wasn't referring to new games, just old games badly written.
So window mode is better than exclusive mode(full screen) ?? :D you gotta be kidding me.
Quote:
Bigger screen, better graphics = need a better comp to play.
Graphics in d2 isn't vector graphics with 3000 polycount...

Btw. your graphic card isn't for playing at all. I once tested nfs mostwanted on onboard gpu and had 2-3fps. If you don't care about new cards just get an old gf9600 for like 60$ now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:15 am 

Uh.. yeah I'm pretty sure it was. Most the time for me it was anyway. I had huge issues running in full screen aka much less FPS. I could be wrong because I'm not sure if Windows mode increases graphic detail therefor lowering FPS more but from what I remember Windows utilized better FPS.

Regardless.. that isn't the point. The fact of the matter is RESOLUTION for most games means higher = higher cpu req.

I don't know what game/games your talking about. For Diablo II higher resolution means higher req.

No more discussion about resolution and fps.. this is one of the most stupid arguments I've ever had with anyone.

It's like saying 2+2 = 5.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:18 am 

Quote:
The fact of the matter is RESOLUTION for most games means higher = higher cpu req.
Your phenom is 3x better than my cpu btw... especially if it's phenom x4 x945

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:20 am 

Anyway It really depends on the community. If most people are running this fine.. forget it. I'll buy a new vid card. I still think a large portion don't have cpus that can run this resolution well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:37 am 

is there a way to make the high resolution optional? or is it mandatory for all?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:40 am 

It can't be optional with the AI increase. I've already heard that the increase in AI is very difficult as it is even in the higher resolution. Steel suggested allowing it to be optional for lower resolution but the AI increase it'd be complete rape.

You wouldn't see chargers before they charge you. etc. Someone told me a charger can charge from 3/4- almost fullscreen away in the higher resolution.

The increase in AI will make playing on a lower resolution annoyingly hard. Probably almost impossible. Would be insta deaths all the time. You get charged before you even see the charger move. Stygians hit u from off the map etc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:53 am 

I like how ppl are whining that game now is hard... it's not impossible to kill succubus, it will be just harder to do it solo.

All that scream about making game harder, to prevent solo games only to see all this whining on bnet chat "game is toooooooo hard, I just wanted to solo...", team up and you won't die on tundra. If you do then you're not much of HC. I'm not refering to LAG issues tho, it sucks to die because 10fps. Just don't say changed AI somehow makes game unplayable.

I'm looking forward to see old graphic files and AI remaining as they are now(but seeing how hc community rages I doubt it will stay).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:02 am 

?? Wtf are you talking about? Your not sounding like a very reasonable person right now. You sound dramatically childish. Think about terms of the community in entirety. Stop thinking about YOURSELF + those capable of running this and start thinking about those who can't run the higher resolution.

And who is crying on HC? I haven't seen anyone on HC say anything about the difficulty.. that it's going to be too hard. Please tell me the people on HC who have been crying about the difficulty or are you just making shit up, being over dramatic etc.

I don't care about the difficulty. I'm fine with it.. again my only concern is being able to actually play on this higher resolution.

Stop going off topic/ranting about irrelevant stuff.

I NEVER said the changed AI makes the game unplayable.

You completely failed on reading comprehension.

THIS IS what I SAID. READ BELOW THE LINE.

Making the Resolution OPTIONAL and KEEPING THE CURRENT AI will make it UNPLAYABLE FOR LOWER RESOLUTIONS.

That IS what I said/meant.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 am 

the fps drop due to high resolution is a factor that needs to be addressed. i sure hope it can be optional so other players can play on a lower resolution.

i'm not too bothered by higher aggro range because it seems to have increased the difficulty a tad bit and there is nothing wrong with that considering how many buffs we put out this patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:06 am 

Quote:
I NEVER said the changed AI makes the game unplayable.

Quote:
As I said before.. handicapping the game for those with bad computers is not a solution. I've already heard the increased AI is huge on the new resolution. It won't be playable for lower resolutions with the current AI setup. PERIOD.

and I said you can clear trash now from 1-2 screen away. With or without highres plugin. Melee won't be much affected with that. Baerk didn't include my changed missile buff so they won't shoot you offscreen. For your information succubus and healers didn't get that much of a boost. they always were shooting at you offscreen.

Last edited by Steel on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:08 am 

I agree. I wouldn't be too bothered about it either, however, according to things I've currently heard the AI is dramatically increased on all ranged monsters. You'd get raped by things off screen pretty easily in Hell.

We're talking about a handicapped game. It might be fun for someone like you and I but a majority of people running lower resolutions will quit HU for sure. For some people.. the challenge would be fun.

Just think theoretically.. buffing isn't going to compensate for it. You might think so right now but I'm already predicting what happens if it becomes optional for lower res.

Your also handicapping those who can't play in the higher resolution.

Basically most people( With badder comps )will either upgrade CPU or quit HU. My reasonable prediction.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:09 am 

Steel wrote:
I like how ppl are whining that game now is hard... it's not impossible to kill succubus, it will be just harder to do it solo.

All that scream about making game harder, to prevent solo games only to see all this whining on bnet chat "game is toooooooo hard, I just wanted to solo...", team up and you won't die on tundra. If you do then you're not much of HC. I'm not refering to LAG issues tho, it sucks to die because 10fps. Just don't say changed AI somehow makes game unplayable.

I'm looking forward to see old graphic files and AI remaining as they are now(but seeing how hc community rages I doubt it will stay).

Do you play HC? If you do then you know dying to a charger boss pack that you could not see unless you are using maphack. Is hands down frustrating.

Increasing the AI range has done nothing for difficulty. The game is swiss cheese if you can run it on high res. The worry is if you cant run it on high res and you arent able to see the full aggro focus. For example i altered back to basic res just now and succubus almost got my 100 zon from outside of my vantage point on the map. So apparently we are going to need to team with a summoner to get anywhere if we are handicapped like this.

Has anyone tested Baal or anyone like that yet? Does he auto aggro when u come down? Because I would think that it would be awfully close. Aka Icon of Evil on ur face when u enter portal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:13 am 

For your information Steel JnDmX has already tested it and verified that your wrong. Running on lower resolution will handicap those people. I don't understand how you argue about complete basic shit. It's the most annoying thing ever.

Chargers and Stygians were the only monsters to get their AI range buffed?! Are you joking me? I'm sure everything or most things were buffed in their AI range including bosses.

Just look at how big the newer screen is... and compare it to 640x480 or 800x600 on the older resolution.

IT'S A HUGE difference. It's going to be a huge problem with lower resolutions. Simple analysis of game semantics shows that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:16 am 

Steel is right about one thing. in previous versions mobs would not shoot u from beyond a certain point which is considered a screen away. However if you revert from 12xx-10xx back to what we had before the server has no way to differentiate what settings you are currently running for the mob ai therefor the mob does shoot u from considerably far out of ur range like it would at 1200 res

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:21 am 

Quote:
Do you play HC? If you do then you know dying to a charger boss pack that you could not see unless you are using maphack. Is hands down frustrating.
No but viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2850&p=23795#p23795
We can now balance game for HC so chargers use woodsticks instead of swords.
Quote:
Chargers and Stygians were the only monsters to get their AI range buffed?! Are you joking me? I'm sure everything or most things were buffed in their AI range including bosses.
Majority are melee mobs, they will need to get close to you, if you can dispose of them solo, try go back with your friends.

Honestly, you want to make this game easier now. There's no way something kills you offscreen even on tundra, groups of 3-4 succubs aren't that problem. I give up as you're only talk. Wanted harder mod, here you have it, now you want to revert so all buffs to skills remain but mobs still stand near you and do nothing.

And I'm not saying about highres, for me it can be deleted, I play always full screen on my monit (I'm not graphicbitch), just changed AI should stay.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:29 am 

Steel wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Majority are melee mobs, they will need to get close to you, if you can dispose of them solo, try go back with your friends.

Honestly, you want to make this game easier now. There's no way something kills you offscreen even on tundra, groups of 3-4 succubs aren't that problem. I give up as you're only talk. Wanted harder mod, here you have it, now you want to revert so all buffs to skills remain but mobs still stand near you and do nothing.

And I'm not saying about highres, for me it can be deleted, I play always full screen on my monit (I'm not graphicbitch), just changed AI should stay.

Steels ingenious logical opinion FTW. If we want to increase the difficulty of the game there are sensible ways of doing it. Getting charged and shot off screen is annoyingly stupid hard. It's not just "HARD" it's stupid hard. You die by something you can't even see without maphack? Thats your idea of increasing difficulty?

Difficulty can be increased in a TON of other ways that make much more sense.

Difficulty can be increased other ways if needed to be.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:38 am 

Steel wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sigh.. A challenge yes... A median esque or Trevors Mod esque hardcore is not what I want. I will not speak for the community. However an imbalance is there.

If you want AI to aggro you from 2 screens away. Go try median. Srsly ive been on there last few weeks and its retarded how easily you can die frrom an op pack of mobs that aggro u during a lag spike or something that arent even on ur screen.
We aren't playing on completely stable servers steel. So that possibility is great.

While the game may not have been balanced around HC and shouldn't be. We should be considered. Especially since myself included 8 of my people on the friends list have been around 6 seasons +. Can you name 9 on SC?

Edit: From here on im done commenting. If you feel the need to debate with me try it over private messages. I don't need to troll debate you.
And for the record. Increased AI range is a great idea for things. I just wish u could alter a certain few mobs like chargers/leapers to keep it contained especially since they aren't considered "melee" when they are leaping/charging at u, are they?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:43 am 

Quote:
If we want to increase the difficulty of the game there are sensible ways of doing it.
throw ideas.
Quote:
You die by something you can't even see without maphack? Thats your idea of increasing difficulty?
What kind of monsters? Succubus on ANC way? layout of this location make them easy(they can't shoot thro walls fui) and chargers could kill you before, you want to run with 4k sorcs on AW and not get raped?
Quote:
We should be considered.
You are ofc. Just playing HC gives you more thrill and challenge than SC, it's basically the same game as we're playing. If during this 2 weeks of TESTING we both on SC and HC comes to conclusion some of areas are unplayable cuz too high range of mobs then we can alter it. For now it's like patch is 6h, there are 5ppl on realm and you're saying game may be too hard for HC... please team up and try to clear these areas, I hope you'll have more fun and satisfaction killing entire pack of 3-4charger bosses than clearing whole tundra in 9min.
Quote:
And for the record. Increased AI range is a great idea for things. I just wish u could alter a certain few mobs like chargers/leapers to keep it contained especially since they aren't considered "melee" when they are leaping/charging at u, are they?
AI is more than 1 number. All melee got higher ai dist which just improve their line of sigh but there are other fuctions controlling their behavior. Chargers have different AIP to use skills, it controls from which dist they can use skills, so first they must get close. I carefully scrolled changed all AIP1-8 of ranged mobs but left melee untouched, so they use charge from the same distance as in 1.31 or 1.21z.

Last edited by Steel on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:59 am 

Ideas? Increase damage of monsters, add counters? Wow.. was that so hard?

Chargers + succubus hitting you off screen. Not only that but anyone want amp/fanta spike packs ftw. I forgot what they are called dunno why lol.. the guys who shoot spikes under you. Damn not playing for a month raped me.

Anyway those things will insta kill you. CE 3 screens away FTW? Diablo Fstorming you before you even see him?

Do I have compile a list to make a point?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:05 am 

Quote:
1)Ideas? Increase damage of monsters, add counters? Wow.. was that so hard?

2)Chargers + succubus hitting you off screen.
1) It's a common talk, inc damage but of whom, what's the point of increasing damage of mobs they die before reach you because low dist ai and low hp? same for counters, that will make psn even more OP as other will be afraid to shoot. Now you have more mobs on screen to take care of so you must prepare youself/team up.
2) Have you tested that, read my edit from prev post. Im currenly running AW with a melee fury wolf on hell, and chargers don't charge me from more than 1/3 of screen.
zapsslp wrote:
I can't even support loading Tundra on 800x600.

Not exactly sure why or for what reason, But I've always been able to run it before.

I've got a 2.6ghz Dual Core 4gb ram With an ATI 5570 Radeon 1gb Vcard.

Can you check viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1163 this thread, download it and provide some info. That could be some help, try all 3 display modes.
Like I said, I've run in on old p4, 2gb of ram and gf gt220(which is like hd4650) and it was OK, I used glide tho.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am 

I do feel the bigger resolution is a little over the top. Seems like a pretty big gameplay change for very little reason. I wouldn't mind giving it a go of course, but I'm definitely afraid of this bringing up more issues than it's worth.

Lee wrote:
Anyway those things will insta kill you. CE 3 screens away FTW? Diablo Fstorming you before you even see him?

Do I have compile a list to make a point?

This is what I was curious about as well.

What happens with the big resolution in areas like Durance where the healers can blizzard through walls? Do we have to tank 2-3 screens worth of healers hiding behind multiple walls? What about soul collectors casting fissure through the walls in Baal's Castle? Do all 10 mariliths that are on your screen drop volcanos? WSG's and earthquake?

How about the issue of ranged characters being able to attack from twice the distance now? If you thought namelocking a boss and dropping meteors/blizzards from a screen away was easy now... If you get twice the range to hit bosses with missile skills you get twice the distance/time to dodge their counters/attacks. Also some missiles have longer range than others. Couldn't a bowzon technically out range most bosses missile skills?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:28 am 

i just tried on both new resolution and old one and the game is lookin ok so far. tundra wp always got swamped before (nothing new) and it still does. the chargers i saw would walk up into sight range before charging on the old resolution. maybe their aggro range needs to drop since they are the notorious instagib packs for hc players.

otherwise as long as there is an optional dl available for smaller resolution i'm happy with these changes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:31 am 

I have not had any issues thus far, but I didn't mess with act5 areas as of yet. My fps stayed at a solid 75 as it always has since using glide with vsync turned on (so I don't draw 800fps).

2.67GHz quadcore
4gb ram
9800gtx+ oc
machine is closing in on 3 yrs old

I love being able to play on my main display...and I have talked a friend into getting online again since he can use his widescreen.

I don't use windowed mode.

I do feel for those that may have issues, but damn it is nice to have this addition.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:09 am 

I haven't tested it haven't had time. I can already tell you that my laptop has a better video card than what you're using Lee. That may be the majority of the problem. I'll test it later see what happens and how it works out.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:11 am 

After doing more testing.. I've concluded that I can run it fine actually. I don't know why I experienced bad FPS previously but it's not as harsh anymore.

I'm wondering how other people will fare though as my comp has newer specs so to speak despite the crappy video card.

I'll probably upgrade anyway.. buy something really cheap.. would be better than on myboard.

Also DRROD brings up several good points that need to be addressed/tested with this higher resolution. I can already see some exploitable stuff happening with amazons easily.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:35 am 

i wonderfully ran into cain crash...fucking crack addict that he is...guess i have to do a fresh install later.

Glad to see that it wasn't as bad as it first seemed for ya Lee.
I went to tundra and did have a short drop to about 65 fps...still plenty fine. I will try to test other areas at some point tomorrow or sunday...lot to do tomorrow,

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:41 am 

The only problem I have with this is I run windowed mode to watch movies in the background or listen to lectures for class. Gonna have to dual screen it again <_<

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:13 am 

How the hell do you play D2 and watch a movie + listen to lectures and focus on both at the sametime? WTF lol

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: *UPDATE* Resolution is working for me.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:31 am 

Hmm.. doing a clean install now and getting the patch added in, but from what people are saying it looks like i could be in trouble, a portion of the reason i played D2 still was because my PC is pretty bad lol

*sighs*

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:56 am 

Wow look at this storm go... Funny how it seemed to be such a good idea before hand. It's a good thing I included that compatible glide driver in the full download.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:07 am 

Baerk wrote:
Wow look at this storm go... Funny how it seemed to be such a good idea before hand. It's a good thing I included that compatible glide driver in the full download.

I will say this. Whoever put the time in for this High Res deserves a pat on the back. Well done. It reminds me of when d2 was fresh way back when and your like "the graphics are awesome!"

Also to add to DRROD. CE does cast on u from outside ur vantage point. So does the blizz mobs in a3 durance.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:59 am 

If you have problems with the fps using HighRes mods there are 3 changes that maybe are needed:
1st: switch video mode to glide
2nd: be sure to have the latest graphic card driver, cause some old ones dont support glide
3rd: If the other things didnt help, buy a new PC... lol..

you dont need much performance to get D2 running good even with HighRes and disableing it just because 5% of the community have trouble running it smooth? hell no!

also, Dav92 is working on a new version of his HighRes plugin, wich will propably run a bit better than the current one

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 pm 

ki4m wrote:
If you have problems with the fps using HighRes mods there are 3 changes that maybe are needed:
1st: switch video mode to glide
2nd: be sure to have the latest graphic card driver, cause some old ones dont support glide
3rd: If the other things didnt help, buy a new PC... lol..

you dont need much performance to get D2 running good even with HighRes and disableing it just because 5% of the community have trouble running it smooth? hell no!

also, Dav92 is working on a new version of his HighRes plugin, wich will propably run a bit better than the current one

That's incredibly ignorant. I'm not gonna buy a new computer just to play a game. That's not the main purpose of this computer for me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:37 pm 

well what is the purpose of that pc? Did you try the first things first? Are you actually using 3dfx mode? The others modes are trash.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 pm 

kramuti wrote:
well what is the purpose of that pc? Did you try the first things first? Are you actually using 3dfx mode? The others modes are trash.

I don't use computers primarily for games. I use it for browsing, microsoft word, and videos. Once in a while I'll play old games.

Yes I'm using 3d mode. And glide isn't even an option. I've tried it with other mods and it slowed down to a crawl. But I'm not looking for anyone to help me fix any kind of problems on my end. I'm perfectly capable of doing that. I only installed this mod because it was a change from vanilla but the requirements were the same. I just want to know if the 640x480 option is gone forever. That's all.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:52 pm 

Tough wrote:
Yes I'm using 3d mode. And glide isn't even an option. I've tried it with other mods and it slowed down to a crawl. But I'm not looking for anyone to help me fix any kind of problems on my end. I'm perfectly capable of doing that. I only installed this mod because it was a change from vanilla but the requirements were the same. I just want to know if the 640x480 option is gone forever. That's all.

thats just ignorant....
get the latest graphic card driver and glide will propably work fine

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:55 pm 

Well he said he wasn't a gamer. He's probably using his machine for work like editing excel, data bases etc. and play old games. Unfortunately that minor req update(when using glide) got hit him too hard.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:35 pm 

I have no problems in Tundra.....those of you crying about shit gfx have a shit gfx card. Wanting 1000 fps with onboard gfx is like wanting 1080p HD on a 13inch black n white tv.

Also had no problems in Ancients Way. Cleared most of it with my own bo and a merc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:14 pm 

Stop being arrogant assholes. My comp easily handles 200+fps with high res. But not everyone has open gl compatible vid cards (which is what is required for glide)
Now obviously u can spend 60 bucks and get 1. But who knows these peoples financial situation. All ive seen from a few that can't handle is a mode that supports their video situation. Is that really so bad?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:11 pm 

how do you get such high fps im lucky to get 30-40 in tundra with other people.

im on a laptop,"up to 275MB mobile intel graphics media accelerator 4500", Pentium dual core t3400 2.16GHZ, 2GBDDR2, 1MB L2 cache whatever that is. i play with all low options, rages edits and windowed no sound mode. play DDraw mode, glide drops fps even further and unplayable no mater the options i choose in it

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:11 pm 

I have a 3 year old laptop that I run this game on nothing new or changed in it its just up to date. I had 75-100 FPS in Tundra. Update the drivers and see a world of difference. It looks sharp I love it. I can just no longer watch movies in the background because even windowed is huge.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:45 pm 

I guess apparently people missed the part where I edited the topic and updated it?? *UPDATE* resolution is working for me.

So i'm wondering who some of you are talking to... lol.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:27 pm 

well id like to try it myself but i think itd drop my fps even further so trying to figure out if its worth it or not.

How do we know if our drivers are up to date?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:38 pm 

Dunno but you should try it to see how it is. According to a few people here you're a complete loser if your not nerdy enough to have a good enough graphic card to play video games. Ohhh the irony.. hahaha.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:43 pm 

Most graphics cards support openGL though so the glide driver runs really well. Only a minority actually have the glide run slower from what I know.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:23 pm 

One thing that may not be immediately obvious to some people who end up having the glide run slower on them. One other guy had the problem but he found tweaking settings in the glide-init helped speed the glide back up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:37 pm 

when i tried using glide i messed with every option when setting it up, testing itd say 50-60 but in actual play itd be 30 or less and un playable even windowed

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:59 pm 
Game Server Host

D2 runs at 25fps, anything over 25fps isn't being used by the game anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 pm 

In fact I'd even go as far as saying that anything as low as 10 FPS is still playable as long as you don't drop below that point (since you can still roughly see what's going at at 10 FPS even if it's not super smooth).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:04 pm 

I know for a fact that 25 fps in D2 is terrible lag. Simply create a scenario in D2 where you'd drop to like let's hypothesize and say 30 fps and then compare it to 200. The difference is huge. If I'm wrong fraps a video and show me other wise.

Well I could be wrong I can't seem to test it for myself but theoretically if your dropping as Low as 25-20 fps then your going to hit even lower than 10 fps.

I set the resolution at highest with shadows on and lightning quality highest.

And I was going from 0 - 25-30 fps and lagging horrendously ( ofc I'm using onboard video )

When I turn shadows off and lightning quality down + use 1024 resolution I have no problems at all usually 100+ fps.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:09 pm 

If you are saying 25 FPS is terrible lag then odds are it actually isn't 25 FPS you are seeing (since 24+ FPS tends to register as smooth motion to the eye).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:14 pm 

I don't think in game FPS actually works like that. If you've ever played a game like CounterStrike 1.6 or Counter-Strike:Source in that game 100 FPS << not only the best you can get but the ideal FPS that you want. Anything less results in slower cross hair recovery rate(Recoil) and lag in smoke.

I believe that scenario is relevant to a big portion of games. If there was a way to set FPS at a lower number and actually compare on D2 I'd be interested to see.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:43 pm 

I think part of it is that games have horrible frame skipping mechanisms to compensate for when the FPS isn't as fast as it should be (and it's exactly for this reason d2 goes lightning fast after a burst of graphics lag because its failing miserablely to just simply skip a ton of frames as it should after near freezing).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:08 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Ofc it is.
Quote:
According to a few people here you're a complete loser if your not nerdy enough to have a good enough graphic card to play video games.
Good enough graphic card makes me rofl. Pls tell me it requires 8800gtx (which was a high end for few years) to play game from 2001 written for directx8

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:27 am 

Part of the reason the game lags so hard though is because it can't handle more than a certain amount of missiles/summons properly (due to a horribly coded game engine).

I'll still stand by the thought I said earlier about games having bad frame skipping mechanisms (if the game had proper frame skips coded it wouldn't take longer for a targetting reticle to return to proper position after recoil in that shooter unless the FPS was really horrible).

When it comes to sudden graphics lag spikes though in d2 I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the /fps option was failing to report the actual FPS rates properly. The reason I say this was because I was fighting Andy in a party earlier and my /fps kept stating around 10 fps the whole fight. Despite the FPS being stated that low the entire fight looked actually smooth for the most part surprisingly enough (everything was perfectly seeable and it was easy to tell what all was going on).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:29 am 

Steel wrote:
PureRage-DoD wrote:
Ofc it is.
Quote:
According to a few people here you're a complete loser if your not nerdy enough to have a good enough graphic card to play video games.
Good enough graphic card makes me rofl. Pls tell me it requires 8800gtx (which was a high end for few years) to play game from 2001 written for directx8

Actually because this game was so poorly written it's harder on hardware than newer games. When this game first came out it actually burnt out a vid card and a cdrom drive of mine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:56 am 

its not terrible lag for me , but i do have the spikes or times where it goes super fast, and it is choppy in tundra with multi player, and other areas etc, not smooth but not laggy somewhere in middle for me is what im saying.

Offline Profile