Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:42 pm

Post subject: Quick Question about HC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:52 pm 

So guys after PAINSTACKING gruel 4.5 hour battle last night, a team of us were able to take down baal in normal... God i can only imagine this in hell .. is it even possible lol?

Anyways, i only played normal so i can get to making a hardcore character which leads me to my question.

How is the HC community and is it worth playing HC in this MOD?

I've played HC on D2 Vanilla for past 10 years and think SC is garbage - no challenge.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Quick Question about HC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:01 pm 

HC is much more difficult here than on b.net.
The HC community here is significantly smaller which can make getting a team together more difficult, but it is also more tight knit and competent on average than SC, which means that when you DO get a team together, those people generally aren't standing their with their heads up their ass and instead know how to play their characters well.

Personally, I have been very happy with softie as I don't have the time to invest in to HC and I don't get frustrated with the noobtards, but I played HC on this mod for several years before that and really enjoyed it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:07 pm 

Blue pretty much nailed it. It's been pretty slow the last couple days as far as getting a party together is concerned, but once one comes together you can run through acts really quickly. What this has lead me to do is have multiple characters in different acts/difficulties to catch the run wherever it may be happening.

Pretty much everyone knows each other on HC.. that's an aspect I really enjoy. People are very generous with gear and helping out - something I never experienced on b.net.

I always play HC, I find it's just so much more rewarding. You just gotta play smart and if you're lagging don't go out and fight. Use common sense.

My acc is slappynuts when you wanna play :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
HC is much more difficult here than on b.net.
The HC community here is significantly smaller which can make getting a team together more difficult, but it is also more tight knit and competent on average than SC, which means that when you DO get a team together, those people generally aren't standing their with their heads up their ass and instead know how to play their characters well.

Personally, I have been very happy with softie as I don't have the time to invest in to HC and I don't get frustrated with the noobtards, but I played HC on this mod for several years before that and really enjoyed it.

Well that's not a lot of motivation to start playing HC :).

I really do want to try it though...

Can you give me advice on which char is ok to start in norm for just clearing bunch of people and getting good gear in Normal setting?

I am watching assassins clear hoards of things with traps on normal in an 8 person game.. i was very interested and always loved making sin's...

Can you help me out?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:14 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
Blue pretty much nailed it. It's been pretty slow the last couple days as far as getting a party together is concerned, but once one comes together you can run through acts really quickly. What this has lead me to do is have multiple characters in different acts/difficulties to catch the run wherever it may be happening.

Pretty much everyone knows each other on HC.. that's an aspect I really enjoy. People are very generous with gear and helping out - something I never experienced on b.net.

I always play HC, I find it's just so much more rewarding. You just gotta play smart and if you're lagging don't go out and fight. Use common sense.

My acc is slappynuts when you wanna play :)

That sounds awesome... ill be home in 4 hours from work and will start a HC char.. thinking SIN unlcess my comment above gets picked on...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:25 pm 

I'm personally not a huge fan of trap sins, and haven't seen much this season. However, I've seen some ridiculous kick sins that can clear mobs like crazy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:36 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
I'm personally not a huge fan of trap sins, and haven't seen much this season. However, I've seen some ridiculous kick sins that can clear mobs like crazy.

That might be what i am thinking about...

How are Nova Sorc for clearing? I've seen some really good ones around.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:41 pm 

I haven't seen any nova sorcs yet, but pretty much every sorc build is good for DPS, only problem is being 1 shotted by ancients, raped by insane hell spawns, or pwned by chargers/leapers :P.

I built a barb as my first, only to find out that melee/phys has been significantly nerfed this season :/. So now I'm working on a fire claw druid, so I can still tank, but also do some elemental dmg.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:01 pm 

u should probably think about a character that has better survivability for your first hc char to get some gear farmed if you die.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:48 pm 

stars wrote:
u should probably think about a character that has better survivability for your first hc char to get some gear farmed if you die.

Well I see nova sorc tearing shit apart in normal... i was going to try and be one of those..

Any thoughts?

I really honestly can't stand druid's or barb's so anything other than that is fine...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:53 pm 

If you're not to experienced with HU, I'd definitely suggest rolling a character with some durability. Rabies Druid is one of the strongest untwinked characters around, and once you hit around ~65, you really begin to destroy.
Add that in with a strong self-life buff, and the best party life buff in the game, you have a pretty strong character who's also safe.
EDIT: Ah, just read you don't like Druids.

Summon Necromancer is still a very solid soloing class, but not until you get some Enigma love. Until then you're still effective (having a Necromancer for Charger areas, Ancients, and Achmel is a godsend) while of course being the only necro build who has enough points to max both Amp & LR.

Sins are definitely a good class, and not a bad pick for a first run-through in HC (fade & Clawblock make for ez living in any sin build). They're just selfish and don't bring a party buff, which can sometimes be an issue when rolling untwinked and new.

Just pick something your comfortable with until you get a good grasp on what can kill you and what can't.

Anyway, if you need some gear or any help, lemme know. Just whisper me on *Abominae

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:07 pm 

Abominae wrote:
If you're not to experienced with HU, I'd definitely suggest rolling a character with some durability. Rabies Druid is one of the strongest untwinked characters around, and once you hit around ~65, you really begin to destroy.
Add that in with a strong self-life buff, and the best party life buff in the game, you have a pretty strong character who's also safe.
EDIT: Ah, just read you don't like Druids.

Summon Necromancer is still a very solid soloing class, but not until you get some Enigma love. Until then you're still effective (having a Necromancer for Charger areas, Ancients, and Achmel is a godsend) while of course being the only necro build who has enough points to max both Amp & LR.

Sins are definitely a good class, and not a bad pick for a first run-through in HC (fade & Clawblock make for ez living in any sin build). They're just selfish and don't bring a party buff, which can sometimes be an issue when rolling untwinked and new.

Just pick something your comfortable with until you get a good grasp on what can kill you and what can't.

Anyway, if you need some gear or any help, lemme know. Just whisper me on *Abominae

Thanks so much for this feedback man. I love the suggestions but I really hate melee characters so thats why i was wondering if a nova sorc or trap sin works.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:17 pm 

Benjamin wrote:
Thanks so much for this feedback man. I love the suggestions but I really hate melee characters so thats why i was wondering if a nova sorc or trap sin works.

I understand. I definitely wouldn't be rolling a melee character untwinked this patch. They require a lot of gear, and now honestly just require twice the work with half the reward to stand up against anything elemental.

A Trap Sin is really great trash clearer and one of the most durable casters. You get an easy 60%+ block and you easily have enough points to max Fade for a free 20% damage reduction. You also get more pierce much more easily than most elemental damage builds, so it's easy to keep your damage strong. (-100+ from Shadow Killers alone end-game!)

Fire or Lit, they both work pretty well. Most prefer Fire, as Wake of Fire is an amazing trash clearing skill. I'd be careful though, WoF tends to cause an assload of counters on bosses and usually isn't appreciated. Fire Blast spam isn't the strongest boss DPS, but it allows you to hang back and deal consistent damage, which is nice.

If ya do decide to roll one, lemme know. Should have an assload of Assassin gear laying around.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:22 pm 

Abominae wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I understand. I definitely wouldn't be rolling a melee character untwinked this patch. They require a lot of gear, and now honestly just require twice the work with half the reward to stand up against anything elemental.

A Trap Sin is really great trash clearer and one of the most durable casters. You get an easy 60%+ block and you easily have enough points to max Fade for a free 20% damage reduction. You also get more pierce much more easily than most elemental damage builds, so it's easy to keep your damage strong. (-100+ from Shadow Killers alone end-game!)

Fire or Lit, they both work pretty well. Most prefer Fire, as Wake of Fire is an amazing trash clearing skill. I'd be careful though, WoF tends to cause an assload of counters on bosses and usually isn't appreciated. Fire Blast spam isn't the strongest boss DPS, but it allows you to hang back and deal consistent damage, which is nice.

If ya do decide to roll one, lemme know. Should have an assload of Assassin gear laying around.

Abominae your really awesome man... i am starting a sin 100 % than if you can help me out... i am at work and will be home in about 2 hours and get right on and play.

Not sure if you are bored right now but i can send you my acc info via PM and you can mule some stuff over for me? :)... That would be awesome!

I would love you foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr especially if you have irathas set for early on :).

PS. Does FCR Affect how fast you lay traps or is it IAS like in Diablo 2?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:46 pm 

Benjamin wrote:
Abominae your really awesome man... i am starting a sin 100 % than if you can help me out... i am at work and will be home in about 2 hours and get right on and play.

Not sure if you are bored right now but i can send you my acc info via PM and you can mule some stuff over for me? :)... That would be awesome!

I would love you foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr especially if you have irathas set for early on :).

I'm not a set type of guy (as in I rarely pick it up), but I can easily toss you together uniques & gear til 40ish. When ya get higher than that I can help ya out with whatever as well.

Just gonna make a mule account with your stuff on it / some other starting items and PM you the Acct/Pass.

Also, Trap casting is still based on IAS, which you get a ton of from BoS & Sin Claws. FCR only effects a Sin's shadow discipline skills.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:48 pm 

Abominae wrote:
Benjamin wrote:

I'm not a set type of guy (as in I rarely pick it up), but I can easily toss you together uniques & gear til 40ish. When ya get higher than that I can help ya out with whatever as well.

Just gonna make a mule account with your stuff on it / some other starting items and PM you the Acct/Pass.

Also, Trap casting is still based on IAS, which you get a ton of from BoS & Sin Claws. FCR only effects a Sin's shadow discipline skills.

Dude your just amazing... big hug from me :)!!!

What lvls do you have so far? Did you want to play together tonight maybe?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:53 am 

i'll make a few rando chars with you if you around. i got that low set aswell if you really want it

usually on after 5ish central time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:21 am 

Imperial wrote:
i'll make a few rando chars with you if you around. i got that low set aswell if you really want it

usually on after 5ish central time.

Sounds really good man.. just sent you a PM.

Quick Update guys...

Started a new char last night on HC and got to lvl 19.5 in about 3 hours playing solo... was able to beat blood raven, griz, and king leoric fairly easily at low lvls... almost got owned by the countess but thats because i ran out of potions. I had a public game up for about 4 - 4.5 hours and not one person joined my game -- sadly enough. I have a feeling this is going to be one lonely time playing lol. But i did see a game up for people playing in Act 4 killing Diablo -- ill have to catch another batch of folks i guess.

Anyways, if anyone else is on add me to your f list *Benjamin

PS. Abominae thanks so MUCH for the mule of stuff... you literally hooked me up with the best trapsin stuff for low lvl.

Thanks!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:47 pm 

yea with the gear abom hooked you up with you should be good to run wps solo until you get stuck at andy.
you are experiencing what it will feel like the first couple weeks of HC/HU. Since it's a tight little community, everyone runs together. If you miss the boat (that team that was in a4), then you either gotta convince some of those guys to make a new char and run with you, or wait a couple random people to run with. After you get everyone added on your friend list then you'll find it's much easier to get a party together since you can just message everyone saying 'IM FUCKIN STUCK AT ANDY SOMEONE HELP ME PLZZZZZZ'. Most likely there is someone not doing anything important who has a character in normal who will be happy to help you.

Sorry I missed you last night, some very generous necro helped me past a1 Hell on my main (see I was in the same boat as you, stuck at andy for like a month cuz the party I got to Hell with is in a4 now!!! sounds way too familiar lol). Lesson learned, don't miss the boat! Sucks having to work... ><

tonight we will run. I got a palli in a3, we'll kill andy, run a2 (lvl my merc some :D), and if we can get a party we'll breeze by dury and meph too. Diablo usually requires a re-gear :P, or tons of diamond sockets ><

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:19 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
yea with the gear abom hooked you up with you should be good to run wps solo until you get stuck at andy.
you are experiencing what it will feel like the first couple weeks of HC/HU. Since it's a tight little community, everyone runs together. If you miss the boat (that team that was in a4), then you either gotta convince some of those guys to make a new char and run with you, or wait a couple random people to run with. After you get everyone added on your friend list then you'll find it's much easier to get a party together since you can just message everyone saying 'IM FUCKIN STUCK AT ANDY SOMEONE HELP ME PLZZZZZZ'. Most likely there is someone not doing anything important who has a character in normal who will be happy to help you.

Sorry I missed you last night, some very generous necro helped me past a1 Hell on my main (see I was in the same boat as you, stuck at andy for like a month cuz the party I got to Hell with is in a4 now!!! sounds way too familiar lol). Lesson learned, don't miss the boat! Sucks having to work... ><

tonight we will run. I got a palli in a3, we'll kill andy, run a2 (lvl my merc some :D), and if we can get a party we'll breeze by dury and meph too. Diablo usually requires a re-gear :P, or tons of diamond sockets ><

Awesome im excited!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:46 pm 

slapdick you know i woulda came back for yahs if i had a char to kill that titty peirced hoe with.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:03 pm 

ur so kind imp <3.. man honestly I was starting to give up on my thrower just cuz running out of axes is so annoying. Not to mention I had a revelation of: what can tank, do high ele dmg, and is a good party char?=fclaw druid; so I started building one to be my end game char. I realized my barb was going to have limits as far as hell is concerned, but then tosh(?) gave me some fuckin sic gear so I'm excited to run with the thrower again. I got canyon wp on my lunch so just need a team to take dury.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:24 pm 

damn, this got me exited about hc and I've never really played hc...at least not seriously. Though I just started using HU like 4 days ago so I'm at least gona run through nm before I decide if I'll do a hc char.
Not sure I'm patient enough to play hc though, but it seems fun as hell.
Quick question: is bone necros good in hc?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:29 pm 

Verb wrote:
damn, this got me exited about hc and I've never really played hc...at least not seriously. Though I just started using HU like 4 days ago so I'm at least gona run through nm before I decide if I'll do a hc char.
Not sure I'm patient enough to play hc though, but it seems fun as hell.
Quick question: is bone necros good in hc?

Hey brother... i rolled a sin last night but i messed up on skill so i am re-rolling today... i have some low gear i've gathered through running raven and griz and leoric so i can hook you up.

You want to start a new one with me tonight? It's really fun!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:31 pm 

well it looks like theres going to be a couple new chars running through, so it might be a good time for you to start :P

it's not so much patience, but more playing within your means. know your strengths and weaknesses, and tuck your dick between your legs around chargers/leapers lol. no room for a big ego in HC

oh and dont hit any of those fucking fire shrines... i accidentally hit one and almost killed my whole party of lvl 90/100s.... SORRY GUYS! ><

Quote:
Hey brother... i rolled a sin last night but i messed up on skill so i am re-rolling today... i have some low gear i've gathered through running raven and griz and leoric so i can hook you up.

yo man no shame in admitting you died! :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:41 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
well it looks like theres going to be a couple new chars running through, so it might be a good time for you to start :P

it's not so much patience, but more playing within your means. know your strengths and weaknesses, and tuck your dick between your legs around chargers/leapers lol. no room for a big ego in HC

oh and dont hit any of those fucking fire shrines... i accidentally hit one and almost killed my whole party of lvl 90/100s.... SORRY GUYS! ><

Quote:

yo man no shame in admitting you died! :P

Hey punk wtf lol... i died but i re-rolled a sin.. shes lvl 29 but i invested into freaking light sentries when i decided to be fire... still going to use her as a backup but want to re-roll just fire...

Dont be mean to me jerk :(

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:25 pm 

i was just playin around. gotta give you SOME shit since I'm not the newest guy in town anymore lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:40 am 

well atm I really cant make a hc char, think I have to clear baal on one char first.
Though does anyone know if bone necros are good in hc? the one I'm playing now is kicking ass like crazy and with the mealstrom wand+bone armor you're almost immortal(almost....).
I'll get back here when I've cleared normal on one char though to see if theres any lowbies around :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:39 am 

Verb wrote:
well atm I really cant make a hc char, think I have to clear baal on one char first.
Though does anyone know if bone necros are good in hc? the one I'm playing now is kicking ass like crazy and with the mealstrom wand+bone armor you're almost immortal(almost....).
I'll get back here when I've cleared normal on one char though to see if theres any lowbies around :P

Ok well let me know either way and i will be here to help you out... i am collecting all lowb gear and stocking up for people that start... i can help you out -- just got some necro items through my act 1 tun through...

add me *Benjamin

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:17 am 

cool I will, you can add me to I'm *stiltzkin

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:32 am 

Verb wrote:

You don't have to defeat Baal to be able to play HC

You can either ask a HC player to create an account for you, or use a program to patch your registry so the game thinks that you've already beaten Baal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:05 pm 

yeah I just did the later thing with the registry and I now can make a hc char :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:00 pm 

Verb wrote:
yeah I just did the later thing with the registry and I now can make a hc char :D

Awesome man!

Welcome to HC... another SC player converted!! YAY!

Offline Profile