Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 am

Post subject: D2 remastered, will we be able to mod it
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:26 pm 

I watched the blizzcon panel and they said they included offline play. They also said that you will have to authenticate it once, but then they will leave you alone. Does this mean that we will be able to mod this?
I know it's early, but figured it was worth asking.

Edit: Dug around a bit and it seems it will support mods. Will see how they handle this though.

https://wccftech.com/diablo-ii-resurrec ... pecs-mods/

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: D2 remastered, will we be able to mod it
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:52 pm 

If they don't royally fuck up this one like they did WC3 Reforged, I am totally in for a mod. If SM doesn't come back to do one, hopefully someone here does

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:59 pm 

I am still pretty baffled at why they released WC3 the way the did, especially after Broodwar redo. I never got into WC, but I have played a lot of Broodwar and SC2 (stopped cold for quite some time when they released Legacy of the Void due to the economy changes...started playing a bit here and there again during the summer).

Some things I am wondering about D2 mods:
Are going to require them on their servers.
Are they going to slam their collective fist on the long standing mods that have been around for over a decade (like this one!).
Will they at least give us the same access to files.
Will they have old patch files included or are we going to have to regenerate these on the new platform.
Are the same tools going to work, or are new ones going to need to be developed by folks like those at the Phrozen Keep?
There are more, but these are high on my list of questions.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:19 pm 

Would be great, but only Mancer mod or up to 1.5 no more :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:07 pm 

they did state there will be mod support

it'll be weird becuase there will be a toggle for old graphics + new graphics so I wonder how the custom artwork would work.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:53 pm 

Should be able to would be neet to see what you guys come up with

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:59 am 

So I saw an announcement that they were removing TCP/IP from this, and not allowing code injection.

Does this effectively destroy the opportunity of using the remastered version for HU? We have code changes iirc (sorry I never did this part of the modding and have forgotten so much of what was done). PureRage generally did a lot of this work if/when it was needed from what I remember.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:41 am 

It seems unlikely. The first obstacle would be detangling it from the modern Battle.net client. Or cloning and hacking the battle.net client to connect to a different private server. Seems counter-productive though.

Assuming there is a way to extract the game in a playable form that doesn't require battle.net login, there may be hope. That seems like a pretty difficult task though. I think it can be done because back in the day when Starcraft 2 was released, someone made a Battle.net free pirated version that you could play on single player or over LAN.

Assuming there is a way to circumvent the Battle.net client and ActiBlizzards' servers and successfully set up an alternative client with private servers, we still run the risk of cease and desist orders if the operations becomes too large, too profitable or they otherwise catch wind of it.

Technically, the same is true of all existing D2 Classic private servers and modded servers, but evidently Blizzard doesn't care enough to pay the legal fees to pursue shutting them down.

Offline Profile