Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 am

Post subject: first glance review/rant on HU and how to improve it?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:49 pm 

(What im about to say applies to many other mods as well..)

Most Skill lvl requirement is meaningless

MOST skills could be obtainable at lvl 1 and there is absolutely 0 balance issues.
For example, Leap. Why it requires lvl 6 or so? :D Think about it. Its just funny.
Same goes for skill such as Leap Attack, Bash, Stun, Concentrate, Double Swing, Double Throw, Berserk. Those skills do different things and its just up to the play style/build of each person to choose what he wants.
At the current stage only Frenzy and WW (maybe WW?) might be kind of too strong for starting lvls. Frenzy is certainly superior to Double Swing so it makes sense that it requires higher lvl. BUT if thats the case, then why even bother having Double Swing in the first place? Its just another useless skill like Leap. I mean, even if u keep the lvl requirements, that doesnt make Double Swing or Leap any more useful. I honestly dont know what could be done with Leap to improve it but if u want to make Double Swing comparable to Frenzy, maybe make it deal a lot more dmg compare to Frenzy (since Frenzy is all about speed).
So there is no reason to NOT be able to learn these skills at lvl 1 considering the meaningful limited factor are the skill points.
OFc barb is just the example. Same way of thinking applies to all classes.

Monster density too high

I know that the mod is meant for many ppl and not solo. But if u go solo and single target build the monster density it so annoying.
I just dont see why i have to kill them, yet they are annoying following u around.
Its like the game forces u to go AOE build.

Charms

Same thing in many other mods, they fill your inventory.
Why not just get rid of all charms? :D OR make them the rarest drop in the game so that u even forget they exist until u pick up one, PLUS keep only the small ones and get rid of the medium and large.

Healing Potions

60% hp in 6 seconds is kind of OP. I think 60% HP in 10-12 seconds sounds better. (less spammy) Forces more careful playstyle.
And why do they drop so often?:)

2Handed vs 1Handed weapons

I have seen one mod addressing this issue (Eastern Sun). Btw same issue exists in Torchlight 2.
In D2 1hand + shield or offhand are almost in all cases preferable to 2hands (yes 2hands melee are weak).
I would suggest boosting them in some way.

---
I think this is mainly it. i have some other not-liking but ill skip them :D

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: first glance review/rant on HU and how to improve it?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:50 pm 

no comments? i feel so lonely :(
where am i wrong or ignorant?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:41 pm 

Skill level requirements do have a purpose in that there are only 5 tiers of growth for spells in this game, and each tier gives you more "bang for your buck" on damage, i.e. going from level 29 to 30 on a spell often adds a lot more damage than going from level 4 to 5.

So for some skills like Hydra, if you could use that at level 1, we'd have to really tank the growth of the first couple tiers at least, but to make the high tiers the same as they are now, you'd have to all of a sudden have these massive jumps in damage to compensate. I can't even remember exactly what level the tiers are to be honest, but I think tier 3 starts at like 20? So once you had skill level 20 (including +skill items) your damage would like triple or something, and that's just dumb. If there are other mods that let you get Hydra at level 1, then their skill gains/items/monster progression must be completely different, OR you'd have to leave the skills as completely linear in growth through all tiers, which again, means you'd have to have very OP items for late game that give you like 25% fire damage per item to make up for the shitty base spell scaling. You can operate this way, but this is not how HU operates.

The rest of your post is all opinion, and I think just about everyone would disagree with most of it. :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:45 am 

cool :)
I want to insist on charms. I think they defeat the purpose of the inventory itself. Just make the game more frustrating.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:15 am 

Use the cube....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:20 am 

Mrawskrad wrote:
Use the cube....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:08 am 

right, well i havent seen how "fixed" cube works with charms.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:26 am 

i mean use the cube to put items in when you pick them up

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 am 

oh.. so the cube is the inventory...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:18 pm 

I am not sure that I understand why you would want to keep small charms only. It goes against your entire argument.
That said, please don't remove them. It would require another rebalance. This is not something trivial.

As for no skill reqs. Every rpg i have played has some sort of level requirement. Without them, there is little sense of progression, AoE would have to be nerfed to the ground (hurricane lvl 1? nty).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:36 pm 

As the title says: this was a first glance review / rant, plus im noob to HU.
This is more like a discussion, hope something useful comes from it.

So, why suggesting only small charms goes against my argument?? im confused here :D

Meaningful progression is good, but meaningless and forced progression is the delusion of prograssion. Basically what i am saying is that the skill that requires lvl 6 must be truly better than the one that requires lvl 1.

When it comes to balancing. AOE skills should always do less dmg than single target skills. Its common sense, if your AOE does more dmg than the ST skill then why even pick the ST skill in the first place?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:31 am 

I've always felt like there should be a separate inventory, or at least a dedicated part of the inventory reserved purely for charms. I've seen at least one other mod do this, and it worked well enough.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:34 am 

yeah cause charms defeat the purpose of the inventory. it requires a little honesty to admit that, but well you know how fun boys are :)

Dedicated inventory would require coding. I think my suggestion above is something every mod should do. It increases the value of charms and adds more endgame content.
OR
another suggestion would be. Limit the number of the charms u can have in inventory. Dont know if this requires coding.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:56 pm 

I remember Path of Diablo have that. In reality you don't really need this - only thing you have to do is to never fill more than half of your inventory with charms :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 pm 

D2 item management always feels a bit clunky, even with plugy.
The way it is now the cube is the place to carry around items while the inventory is filled with charms. That makes the cube unusable for most of the time.
I would like a second cube!
One for carrying items and one, smaller one, for actual of cube recipes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:48 pm 

solution... infinite cube carry.... :p

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:54 am 

Here is a quick improvement on the mod.
Highly reduce the amount of chests, barrels and all the similar item containers. THEN, increase their chance to drop unique/set items (since yellows are useless anyway).
Right now they (the containers) are ALL OVER THE place, so u have two choices, open them every 5-10 meters or IGNORE THEM ALL. Both choices are awful.
The point of the game isnt to run around opening chests... Those *present containers* ARE part of the game but should stay very minimal. Call them **Present Containers**.
My suggestion will make them truly unique and a wanted feature. Players will actually be happy to find a chest, barrel etc.
Hope you appreciate the great suggestion i am sharing with you, i could go more deep about them but ill cut it here.

And if u think what i suggest is bad then u shouldnt create any game in the first place ! :D (brutal ! ).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:58 am 

Well okay, maybe that isn't a "bad" suggestion, but to say this is a quick improvement is foolish. Changing the spawns of barrels and chests in every static and random gen map, as well as their treasureclasses, would be a monumental task, for something really quite trivial. This is just something that would take forever to accomplish and no one has the desire to bother with.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:57 am 

oh... i see.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:59 am 

Quote:
And if u think what i suggest is bad then u shouldnt create any game in the first place !

I don't believe that it is possible to pack more irony into a single sentence.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:03 pm 

: )

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:48 am 

I just saw that the mod 'Path of Diablo' has split the inventory in two sections. The upper part is for items and the lower part for charms. Charms only work if they are placed in the lower part. This arrangement seems like a neat design.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:54 am 

This is also from Path of diablo:
"Transferring items to and from the stash or cube can be done easily by control-clicking items. You can even drop items to the ground in a single click. This greatly reduces time spent on inventory management."

Offline Profile