Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:38 am

Should the future patch have Hardcore mode?
Yes 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
No 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: Should HU still have a hardcore mode?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:45 pm 

Just wondering what people think, if a new server were put up for this game.

With the playerbase being smaller these days, do people think dividing it between SC/HC is good or bad? Would people who prefer HC be content with SC, or would you just not play? Do people enjoy having SC and HC characters?

Feel free to state your case for or against this. HC would not be removed unless people were overwhelmingly against it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Should HU still have a hardcore mode?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:26 pm 

I don’t play hardcore so I guess it’s kinda biased for me, but viewing your point you’ve made about how small the community is I agree to take it out to funnel players together.

More ppl start playing again then bring it back next patch?

I’m a no for hardcore.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:56 pm 

I nevervplayed hardcore due to living in Europe and Asia with lots of lag/ping issues.
But i imagine that once you are a hardcore player there is no way back to softcore. I would leave both options available.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:13 pm 

I voted to keep HC because I don't think removing HC would improve things.

I know a fan of HC could just make a SC char and delete it once it died, so there isn't much reason to keep HC, but I've never heard of a HC fan willing to do this when I've raised the option (They come up with other reasons not the play SC).

I'd think that HC fans being forced to play with SC chars might just use it as a reason to quit if they were leaning that way anyways, so I don't think the player number would increase.

If HC fans stuck around to play with SC chars that they deleted upon death, then I think they'd play mostly password protected games (if only to prevent SC PKs), so I don't think there would be more games for SC folks to join.

That said, HC players generally know a fair bit about D2 and how to play HU, so it would be awesome if they helped some of the players new to the game learn about stuff (might help keep players around longer, which extends the chances of them bringing their friends into the game). Back around 2010, I recall the Strategy & Tactics forum being used more to talk/debate information useful to newer players, but I don't see much of that anymore, so maybe folks prefer in-game chats for that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 pm 

Brah! That's all I play is Hardcore! Fuck off with that "should we keep it?" shit. Yes we should keep it! What kinda god damn question is that?

Don't like HC? Don't play HC. Simple as that.

Look man... I've been playing Diablo 2 and various mods for it off and on since the game debuted. Hell Unleashed is one of the toughest, most fun and best mods out there. I came here because Vanilla D2 ceased to be challenging and entertaining years ago. Even on HC Ladder, B.NET is a snoozeville.

And don't be so quick to discount us HC players. We have cleared Hell on the ladder before. I myself have a 92 Necro in a5 Hell.

Hardcore isn't just a part of the game. Hardcore is at least a third of the player-base.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:45 am 

As I sit here thinking about why I don't play SC, a couple things come to mind-

1. The adrenaline rush. Even if I tell myself I will delete my char on SC after I die, I never do, and I never get that rush during a nasty boss fight.

2. The player-base. Yes, there are plenty of good players on SC, but there's also a bunch of filthy casuals and moochers. Quality over quantity. I'd rather wait for one person to log onto hardcore and we duo the whole game together like savages than join up with a big party on SC where people are begging for free shit and hanging in the back of a boss fight (then ninja looting the drops). Then again we had qwaz, but I digress.

2.a. The mindset. I know several veterans who will choose to spend a season/ladder on SC rather than HC because they can't dedicate the time and effort to HC. Basically HC is try-hard mode, whereas on SC you can get poked fun of if you try too hard. People on SC seemingly LOVE dying over and over at boss fights and running to their corpse as one person kites the boss and keeps them from healing. This type of play is not appealing to me, so I would end up never playing in pub games if HC was not an option, therefore negating the goal of increasing the player base.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm 

slappyNuts wrote:
As I sit here thinking about why I don't play SC, a couple things come to mind-

1. The adrenaline rush. Even if I tell myself I will delete my char on SC after I die, I never do, and I never get that rush during a nasty boss fight.

+1 to that icant play sc even if i dont really have the time to make an efficient char on hc anymore i just cant invest any time into sc !

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 pm 

Why would one ever remove this feature?
I rarely play HC, but there is a massive difference in appeal.
Glad that some of the HC folks have spoken up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:20 pm 

I voted to keep HC too. Just gauging people's interests. Damn Chen, calm down.

Offline Profile