Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Post subject: Consider using Patreon to incentiveize HU Development.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:05 am 

So, whilst we, the players, have been stuck in limbo waiting for HU 1.9 to drop, I've been doing some thinking. I've been thinking about Duff and how he provides this hosting service to this community, free of charge. I mean, I don't know the guy personally, but I assume he has a life of his own to concern himself with. Maybe a career or a family or both.

All that in mind, I can understand why resetting the latter and doing a bunch of tedious programming and testing might not be too high on his priority list. And I can understand why. Life happens, and sometimes it is very demanding of ones' attention.

I hereby suggest that we the community (preferably one of the moderators, actually) start a Patreon account where HU community members who want to incentivize the development of new projects can pool our resources. I really would like to thank everyone who has ever worked on HU. This would be a pretty great way to do it. What do you guys think?

I for one am already willing to put down $50.00 as my first donation. I really want to get this ball rolling and I think it's time I put my money where my mouth is.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Consider using Patreon to incentiveize HU Development.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 pm 

All Duff really needs to do is go to his server location and swap out the MPQ that has already been made and sent to him. If he's just not interested anymore, okay, but it can't be due to lack of free time.

As far as money goes, HU has never been about that, and money would also not really make a difference. Even if you gave me (or someone else) $500, it would not be enough to buy a second PC and internet connection to host a server.

No one is as deflated about this as I am, as I've put so much time into the patch. Unless some really wealthy person really cares about HU, then donations would serve as nothing more than a "thank you". It could also lead to a lot of greed and flawed development. Mo money mo problems.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:35 pm 

If the guy who runs Franky server uploads the patch is that good enough to play on it until duff does it for his server?
May be dumb question i have no idea how this stuff works.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:17 pm 

Only Duff (and maybe purerage) have direct access to Arimyth realm. Additional hosts must be given the IP to connect to Duff's and be on that network.

Anyone can host a D2GS server for any patch they want, but it won't be part of Arimyth. If Franky changed his patch now while still tied to Duff with 1.8, players would get bad inventory data and lose their characters.

Offline Profile