Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

Post subject: Remove join restriction for advanced characters
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:22 pm 

With the community as paltry as it is right now we need all the fresh blood we can get. The game is only a step up from solo right now, with how few people are on the realm.

A lot of people are not interested in joining a teamwork mod where they cannot join the team in a reasonable time frame, nor are people interested in starting "throw away" characters to get the newcomers to the party.

Please and thank you.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Remove join restriction for advanced characters
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 10:18 pm 

I am also in favor of this. If players want to restrict higher level characters from entering their games, they can simply use the level restriction option when they go to create the game. There is no need to try and force them to refrain from using their higher level characters to clear lower level content.

Especially seeing as the difficulty restriction can be easily circumvented.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:10 pm 

I remember when this was implemented - I was in favor of it at the time.

The difference between then and now is that there were several hundred players on the realm, it wasn't hard to get a group together just by logging in and looking at the games, or even visiting the chat.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:11 pm 

No thank you.

This was put there for good reason. It isn't as harsh as it was when first implemented. I get the point about difficulty being a bit higher than in some previous patches, but I would rather come to a better situation in that regard than removing this restriction.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:28 pm 

I didn't make any point whatsoever about difficulty. I like the difficulty. I like overcoming odds and surmounting challenges. You know what I like to do that with? Friends. Friends that are interested in playing the game but that don't want to have me reset a month of progress.

Frankly, I don't want to reset that month of progress, either, only to have a character that is stuck in the same boat, forever deficient and incapable of moving for lack of parity in such an inane statistic as the number of characters we each have.

I'll reiterate, again, that the realm is on its last legs. In my month of pretty darn regular and lengthy playing since I came back I have seen a whopping 4 people that I did not drag to the realm myself. Four. 2 of those have been perhaps just a couple times.

I began playing with a bud, and we are consistent, but as always, more people = more efficient clear of content, better loot more often, and generally more fun. We have two others, long time D2 fans, that are interested in playing with us but the join restriction splits our prospective party in a way that turns away all of us. It is not healthy for the realm.

I love HU, it is definitive Diablo II, D2 done right. I argue that the join restriction is not helpful for the community right now; if we can breathe more life into the realm then it can be re-evaluated.

The prosecution rests.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:25 pm 

To be blunt, this is the same argument that was used 5-10 years ago.
I am more willing to deal with the issue as it is, than having it routine for someone to grab a level 90 character to defeat NORMAL Andariel.

This was the state of nearly all public games. No thank you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:52 pm 

Respectfully, agree to disagree.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:43 pm 

in case you are wondering, there has been a workaround to this since it was first implemented. all you have to do is park your hell guy in a hell game, open a 2nd window, try to open a normal game on it, and then use a 3rd window to join that normal game on your normal guy while you get the "failed to join" on your hell guy since hes already in a game. the game now has all quests open and any high level can join. that being said, with such a major flaw in the system it should probably just be removed if anyone can be bothered to make the change.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:18 pm 

Pious wrote:
in case you are wondering, there has been a workaround to this since it was first implemented. all you have to do is park your hell guy in a hell game, open a 2nd window, try to open a normal game on it, and then use a 3rd window to join that normal game on your normal guy while you get the "failed to join" on your hell guy since hes already in a game. the game now has all quests open and any high level can join. that being said, with such a major flaw in the system it should probably just be removed if anyone can be bothered to make the change.

This is what I was referring to when I said

Neoiceshroom wrote:
Especially seeing as the difficulty restriction can be easily circumvented.

All you need is the ability to multibox and the join restriction is effectively nullified.

My suggestion to you if the issue doesn't get resolved is to simply download D2SE and use it to muti-box so you can circumvent the join restriction like the rest of us do.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:40 pm 

Ya, that has been known for a long time. It is unfortunate. However, it HAS kept the public games rather free of people pulling in strbarb101 to swat norm andy.

I know it's not much more than an annoyance to those that use it routinely, but it has served its purpose for the most part.

Do people seriously want to go back to the LoD rush?

Offline Profile