Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:06 pm

Post subject: How does blocking work?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:21 am 

Hey all,

I have spent some time looking through the forum and i can't really get how blocking works, there is some ino on this forum but it is all spread around.

So i have some questions.

How is block percent calculated? Is it a dex based calculation like unmodded d2? or is it the percent on the shield? I can't seem to find any palce that tells you your current block percentage...

I hear there is a -50% penalty for barbs or something? whats the deal with that.

Can shapeshifted druids block?

Cheers guys.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: How does blocking work?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:28 am 

grymloq wrote:
How is block percent calculated? Is it a dex based calculation like unmodded d2? or is it the percent on the shield? I can't seem to find any palce that tells you your current block percentage...

As far as I know, the formula hasn't changed from b.net in this mod, so all of those calculations apply. So from the Arreat Summit:

Quote:
When a player blocks, that is, after a hit has already occurred, probability is computed that a player will block as follows:

Total Blocking = (Blocking * (Dexterity - 15)) / (Character Level * 2)
Blocking = A total of the Blocking on all of your items.

grymloq wrote:
I hear there is a -50% penalty for barbs or something? whats the deal with that.

This is true. It is a block SPEED reduction. With blocking occurs there are two things. First there is the chance that a character will actually block an attack (see formula above), then there is how FAST the block will occur. This is pretty similar to attack speeds or faster hit recovery. In this mod, it was determined that barbarians will block a little bit slower than other characters (all those muscles make it difficult to use the shield) as a way to encourage them to use 2H weapons. If you look for items that have "Increased Block Speed" or put amethysts in your shield, you can get around this.

grymloq wrote:
Can shapeshifted druids block?

I believe they can. Block speed becomes important for shapeshifters as well though because they attack SO fast, that taking time out of your attacks to block with your shield can really slow you down. That is why most really fast druids will stick with 2h weapons so that the speed of their attack is not interrupted by a slow shield block.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:56 am 

Thanks, this helps a lot.

A few more questions, if a barb is using concentrate, they don't need to worry about block speed much right? because they don't go into block stun?

Also how do I find out my current block percentage? I seem to remember it being a tooltip on defense or one of those stats, but I can't seem to find it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:14 pm 

Try looking here: http://www.baronsbazaar.invisionzone.com/ppr/ there are a few different calculators available. As long as bnet mechanics haven't been altered should work. Of note on the block calculator you need to know the block% on HS if applicable. It will tell you dex needed to achieve max block.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:05 am 

Base block factor is lower than in d2 so you'd have to add(or remove if you want to know what's your current max block) like 10 more to base shield % in that calc
Druid has 10 instead of 20 (bnet 1.13) base block factor. Other things works the same as normal.

Offline Profile