Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: What kinda sorc.... @_o
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:33 am 

cd on casts dmg is applied close to geddon but not quite that bad

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:37 pm 

call me newbie zikur but i have no clue what you mean by that :(
understand cast delays but is it worse then normal for blizzard?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:54 pm 

unless its different than i remember blizz has a cd just like orb. whereas nova does not and also applies aoe evenly and has tanking abilities. tho i have never had an end game fnova sorc so i lack experience.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:28 pm 

oh ok i see what you are talking about. Yeah i guess there just isnt that many end game sorcs. well atleast on hc. and what im seeing over all most people think meteror is the best... still waiting to see what people think

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:44 pm 
Game Server Host

just need a decent tank with you if you are on a sorc. Make a blazer if you want something for a change.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:50 pm 

Using Shantu's Sorc Skill Calculator in a thread a few posts down, I checked the numbers for level 40 synergized cold skills with lvl 40 CMastery (+225%):

FNova = 10-15k
Blizz = 24-25k

The cast delay of Blizz is pretty much 2 seconds, and it lasts 4 seconds, so you can stack it at most twice (so 50k dps). As Zikur mentioned, it's damage is a little sporadic, like Armageddon. It's not too bad, but it's technically possible for critters to be hit lots or not at all.

Considering the lack of delay for FNova, I'm sure it's reasonable to assume 8 frame breakpoints (3 casts per second), so just tripple the dps of FNova to 30-45k. As Zikur mentioned, this would be nice and consistent damage. FNova affects are very large area, but only close to the sorc. That's alright since this Sorc's high level Armor spells give some respsectable tanking ability. She could always hide behind a merc anyways, just like a Blizz sorc.

I think the biggest issue with FNova is that it's damage is oddly well balanced compared to monsters, making it appear underpowered relative to MShot zons, Poison builds, or Bone necros. Around level 36 (20FNova, 15 Synergy, 1pt CMastery with +6AllSkills), it should be doing a modest 850dmg. By lvl 60 (20FNova, 30 Synergy, 10 CMastery, +10Skills), it's doing 2.7k percast (maybe 2-3 casts per second, so about 6k dps). You might feel underwhelming compared to other popular builds.

For comparison, the Blizz sorc at lvl 36 (9Blizz, 20 synergy, 1CMastery, +6AllSkills) is doing 1.6k per shard, and at lvl 60 (20Blizz, 25 Synergy, 15CMastery,+10Skills) is doing 8.5k per shard. The Blizz number is bigger, and the dps is probably higher, so looks better.

As for your original question, Blizz vs Static, just use the calculator to look up what the Static build is like at some levels that interest you, and compare them to the Blizz/FNova numbers I supplied. You might want to answer the question of, "What kind of char to I want to play, a long-range caster or a short-range caster."

If you wanted something to be different.... Blazer it is. Just be prepared to play in a different style that you might not be used to. Also, expect other players to not cooperate. Don't get a tank merc, A1 works well since they stay put when you teleport into your Blaze patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:08 pm 
Game Server Host

I like frost nova, mainly for the cold shields. You can kill bosses with the cold shields alone. Some monsters inferno causes counters (the things in a4) and die almost onstantly to your counters. If you go all diamonds in equip its possible to take no damage against nm diablo and he will kill himself on your shields while you semi afk playing solitaire or something. You can comfortably double your dps calculations on an fnova sorc (more since the ranged counter can trigger every frame with some attacks and has around the same damage as fnova when fully synergised). It all depends on how you set yourself up. If you can negate the incoming damage (disciple set, absorb rings and diamonds in equip) you will be an amazing killing machine. I got bored of mine though and kinda ruined my own fun by equipping her like that. She was a soloing machine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:46 pm 
Game Server Host

yeah i have a blizz sorc doin about 33k dmg and in hell it seems like it is nothing. Tried to kill cow king (pi/ss) with her and some lower res from a nec and it was absolutely pointless. So disappointed at that time. Then again she was level 87 with full tals on so maybe that was the problem...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:53 pm 
Game Server Host

ben got his up to 65k blizz and about the same ice blast lats season im sure.

Tals is crappy, not enough pierce etc. better using a unique setup.

Waterwalks, 3 blizz stillwater, 3 cold circ, snowclash, zaka amu, etc. is >> tals

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:03 pm 
Game Server Host

agreed....just lazy. don't play her much been spending more time on cl/lite/cb sorc

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 am 

Bob908 wrote:
agreed....just lazy. don't play her much been spending more time on cl/lite/cb sorc

Agreed. I love my CB/TK sorc. She's now fully decked out (missing only like 4 perfect light facets) and is doing 11k CB and 68k TK with a fathom (i prefer that over knowledge for non immunes). Her -enemy lightning res is at around 130, and she can even gain another skill from boots once i swap out a couple of plain light gcs for light fhr gcs (she's wearing sandstorm treks for now for fhr). Besides being a little fragile, she's completely exciting to play. I'd choose a light sorc... they can do both bosses and trash well, and have multiple good moves to spread around, not to mention a great defensive skill in eshield.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:12 pm 

holy cow after reading this... all i got to say is, i need a new name now O_o...
blizz sorc fun in normal but looks pissbly lame in hell lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:38 am 

i hit 50+k with my fnova sorc a couple seasons ago iirc. wouldnt recommend playing one in HC though

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:19 pm 
Game Server Host

They are fine for HC as long as you stack MDR/PDR. Mine was HC.

Offline Profile