Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:06 pm

Post subject: holy crap
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:33 pm 

For as many years as this mod has been active, I never thought I would see the day when it would be this.. dead. Goodness what happened?!

Lifes what you make it, so make it how you want to live it, if your life isnt what you wanted, then maybe you should change it.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: holy crap
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:15 pm 

you scared em away

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:01 pm 

Hello, its true. I think they will not return the old patches.. I 4 years played on these server

I grew up where, when a door closed, a window didn't open. The only thing I had was cracks. I'd do everything to get through those cracks - scratch, claw, bite, push, bleed. Now the opportunity is here. The door is wide open, and it's as big as a garage

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:30 pm 

twistedmoonz wrote:
For as many years as this mod has been active, I never thought I would see the day when it would be this.. dead. Goodness what happened?!

You know what happened just like we all do. People started to make changes to what Soulmancer originally had... and it got further and further away from what made HU great. (Not to say that people haven't put a LOT of work into what patches we have.) I would love to go back to what it used to be.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

What is the general consensus on some of the overall positive and negative changes since I stepped down?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:58 pm 

One of the most debated topics is regarding the removal of Skiller GCs (they are currently not in the game). Lots of people think it's just straight up imbalanced to have them due to the late game impact, others find it to be the best end-game grind reward to keep the end game enticing.

Some positives:
I think a positive that everyone can agree on is the new areas. There are the challenge areas and a few new end-game areas and bosses with neat rewards.

Some bug fixes have been made, such as rebuilding the area before izzy to resolve the dropping issue, some collapsing of things like barb masteries to help with state overload, etc. I'm sure there are more I'm missing.

New area under Tristram - you can now enter the Cathedral and find Leoric there. He drops a dusty tome, which doesn't create a TP, but it ports you back to A1 (one way trip). It's a nice QoL change for all the long dungeons where the boss doesn't make a portal.

Several QoL changes, like the ability to BO in town, skills like FA and enchant not being targetable (just an aoe skill that hits everything).

Some much needed nerfs, like reducing cooldowns on castable summons that could tank bosses indefinitely (spamming vine at bosses)

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. There have been so many patches

EDIT: Edits

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:21 am 

Soulmancer wrote:
What is the general consensus on some of the overall positive and negative changes since I stepped down?

It's tough because the jaded viewpoints of "old schoolers" are crippling to the progress of the mod in the current day and age.

Because of the age of the mod, the game itself, the playerbase being ~30 years old with jobs/families/lives, it's no longer feasible to follow the elitist mentality of "HU should be super hard and require 3-4 people with no lives to grind and progress together unless you play the 1 or 2 OP builds, then maybe you can solo/duo most of it after 200 hours of playing."

IMO any future patch should be designed so that the game IS soloable by nearly all builds, even if it requires a lot of farming/crafting/gambling/rerolling RWs/etc. Then also have a very large increase in difficulty and XP for each additional player. These need to be so extreme that 1 person who just loads in 5+ bots will not be able to even kill trash unless the player severely overlevels+overgears that area.

The main problem with this is people abusing single-spawn of bosses, and I don't know if that can be fixed. Perhaps there's a way to make it so all players get ported out of a "boss area" if someone joins the game while also resetting the boss area itself, or some other way.

There also needs to be more incentive for people to keep playing, like skillers as slappy mentioned. More items and areas that require lots of time and effort and are rewarding.

1.6 had a lot of advertising through Twitch using big streamers to provide marketing to people who'd never even heard of the mod, and it ended up having a ton of players. Unfortunately, 1.6 had some bad errors that required resets, and this made people give up. Then when 1.7 came out, it was SO different that many more people gave up. Then when 1.8 came out, people said it was more like 1.6 but it was too hard so they gave up too.

The bottom line is if newcomers can't somewhat-casually play the mod without being a tryhard nerd who already knows everything about the mod, then every future patch will just be the same 10-15 people who play for 2 weeks and then get bored.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:57 pm 

Imo theres enough casual mods around and I dont think HU could really contend with mods like Median XL, Path of Diablo or Annihilus. The reason I like HU is bias towards team-play. I agree that 4-5 player for success requirement is a little bit overkill, but game expecting you having a 2-3 person party with roles is good and is core/essence of Hell Unleashed. I'm not really sure, how exactly 1.8 was "way too hard", especially compared to 1.7, lol. My gaming experience this season was really positive, we did play duo with Void from level 1 to the end (all ubers included) without any abuses and it felt quite balanced and fair for the most of the game. In my opinion, if HU will be tweaked towards solo play it ends up being in a "german mod" category and will be forgotten completely very fast.
What actually rebels players from playing, in my opinion, is lack of sober documentation and slack servers. It seems that they are different in some ways (different gold caps char can wear). Also, they crash quite often, so players get stuck in the games and end up waiting for quite long time for reset to continue playing and latency/ping isn't the greatest. Pot stacking in the cube isn't the best mechanic ever made either :D

PS: I'm not complaining, actually I'm very thankful to hosters for letting us play this decent mod together for free, just decided to post my vision of the current situation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:36 am 

You make a good point about the extra stuff.
-Better, more reliable servers (NA and EU locations)
-Better, up-to-date website with better functions than just the webpage maker gives for new players
-Public testing server so people can test together and hopefully squash more bugs/errors
Perhaps some other stuff...

My upload is terrible or I'd be the first one to volunteer to host a test server. This is what someone with a great PC and strong internet would have to help with.

Also, making it so the mod can somewhat be mostly soloed would not make it casual if the settings are similar to what I suggested. If the xp and drops are not good when solo, but you get big XP and drop/MF% increases with more players, plus MUCH stronger monsters. I actually don't know if you could edit monster treasure to adjust based on the amount of players. I imagine you'd have to have a seperate treasure list for every player count and some kind of script that activates/deactivates them. But if you could, it would be a strong incentive to play with others.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:34 pm 

Soulmancer wrote:

overall the complexity went up and the simplicity went down. gear became weaker but easier to get in a lot of ways. the game was more dynamic in a lot of ways in the older versions, since then its become more and more narrow in what works and what doesn't. overall i think at this point in time what people are looking for is something more fun and accessible to play.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:54 pm 

Rix wrote:
Imo theres enough casual mods around and I dont think HU could really contend with mods like Median XL, Path of Diablo or Annihilus. The reason I like HU is bias towards team-play. I agree that 4-5 player for success requirement is a little bit overkill, but game expecting you having a 2-3 person party with roles is good and is core/essence of Hell Unleashed. I'm not really sure, how exactly 1.8 was "way too hard", especially compared to 1.7, lol. My gaming experience this season was really positive, we did play duo with Void from level 1 to the end (all ubers included) without any abuses and it felt quite balanced and fair for the most of the game. In my opinion, if HU will be tweaked towards solo play it ends up being in a "german mod" category and will be forgotten completely very fast.
What actually rebels players from playing, in my opinion, is lack of sober documentation and slack servers. It seems that they are different in some ways (different gold caps char can wear). Also, they crash quite often, so players get stuck in the games and end up waiting for quite long time for reset to continue playing and latency/ping isn't the greatest. Pot stacking in the cube isn't the best mechanic ever made either :D

PS: I'm not complaining, actually I'm very thankful to hosters for letting us play this decent mod together for free, just decided to post my vision of the current situation.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:20 am 

Soulmancer wrote:

In my opinion, from playing HU on and off for years, experiencing some of the shittiest builds (during older patches) namely zealer paladins and getting raped by iron maiden which every boss would cast, i noticed the mod progressed a lot from other peoples input and patch updates and i think from around the time or not long after when all the set items were mixed around is the time we started to see a plateau and decline in update quality within patches.

Now ive switched back to vanilla D2 for a little to see what the difference and appeal is of the mod in comparison, and i noticed its the freedom the mod gives in class builds that made it great, being able to build a healer with multiple auras to do his job and not being restricted, was awesome! building a barb with the ability to be a healer was awesome, i know its all simple shit, but the healer barb never de-valued a healerdin, because naturally a healerdin is going to be better at his own job. Im going off on a tangent now so i think i should leave it at that

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:52 pm 

nostalgia

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:01 am 

I've been on and off this mod Since the early 2000's around the first or second patch.
I always go back to it because I still enjoy it and like it better than all the others.

HU forever!

Offline Profile