Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 am

Post subject: FAQ for HU events/cube recipes
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:45 pm 

Good day all,

Now that I'm back in one of my "Make time for D2/HU" phases, I'm interested in digging deeper into the mod again, and I realized - there's a lot I don't know about the mod. Or rather, I know that things exist, but I don't know the requirements, what to expect, etc.

Especially with the goal of drawing new players from streams and such, I thought it might be useful to expand the "Cube recipes" section of the website (http://hudb.arimyth.com/cube-recipes) or add a cube/event-related FAQ here on the forums.

Specifically (and I'm sure this isn't exhaustive):

• Challenges/Trials - maps (sold by Akara?), adding them to the Return Tome, level requirements, perhaps brief details about what to expect from the boss.
  • Land of Shadows - level or quest requirements, where to cube (A5?), can you do it more than once, what to expect/links to strategy posts, can it be done solo
  • Key to the Great Void - level or quest requirements, where to cube (A5?), can you do it more than once, what to expect/links to strategy posts, can it be done solo
  • Samhain - How to get to him, level/quest requirements (viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14465)
  • Akara rings - PureRage's and Brevan's posts on how power level works (viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14437&p=69902#p69902, viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16662), being able to unsocket them, etc
  • Version requirements for each - when was each introduced, e.g. the "Akara rings" only exist in 1.7

I'm not sure who could spearhead such a collection/post, but I appreciate your time for taking a look :-)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: FAQ for HU events/cube recipes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:00 pm 

Challenges/Trials - To me this is new for v1.7, but I think I've read that it was also introduced between v1.3 and v1.6. For v1.7:
  1. Get the ReturnTomb from NormLeoric under Tristram.
  2. Complete the Gidbinn Quest, and transmute the reward (just an arbitrary token) with the ReturnTomb. The Gidbinn reward for each diffiulty unlocks a different Challenge.
  3. Buy a MapOfTrials from Akara, right-click it to use it (you'll have an aura effect similar to Meditation for 10 seconds).
  4. Right-click the ReturnTomb while the aura is active and while your level is within the ranges mentioned on the Map and you'll be transported to the Trial area.
  5. The reward for each trial is a token that when cubed with the ReturnTomb will improve it's charm-like effects. In Hell, the reward also includes a Respec potion.

Land of Shadows - I don't do this often, so might have missed something. I think it was introduced in v1.2Xish?
  1. In Hell Difficulty, collect the 5 Keys (Hatred, Pain, Anguish, Destruction, Terror) dropped by Bosses (not Act Bosses) in each act.
  2. Cube those keys together to create the "Final Key" charm, which has charges for opening a portal. Note that in D2 if you use the last charge on an item, that charge has no effect, so your FinalKey is useless if it only spawns with 1 Charge.
  3. Use the FinalKey to spawn a portal in Act 5 (not in town).
  4. The portal leads to a chain of areas (themed after the towns of each act) connected by portals opened when you defeat a ShadowBoss. To take the Shadow's portal, you need to have completed quests for that Act (probably not all quests are needed, but you may as well do all of them before starting LoS).

Key to the Great Void - Sorry, I think this is after HUv1.3, so I know nothing about it.

Samhain - This was introduced quite a long time ago, maybe HUv1.1Xish?
  1. In the Ancient'sWay, there is an exit to "The Frozen Citadel", which has about 10 floors (5 are small, 4 are average, the last is large). There are TownPortal towers on floor 4 and the last floor.
  2. On the last floor, there is a Unique TrappedSoul (the stationary columns of people bits from A4) that when killed opens a portal to Samhain. You need Nihlathak quest complete to take this portal.

AkaraRings - Pretty sure this is unique to v1.7
  1. Looks like you've already linked to all the important information, although here's a post paraphrasing AkaraRings, Trials, Crafted/Tempered Jewels.

Uncursing the Cursed Ring, Amulet, and Sword - Introduced quite a long time ago, maybe v1.1Xish?
  1. Gather the Purification Glyphs (5 per act), and cube them with the cursed item to uncurse it (Normal Glyphs for the ring, NM Glyphs for the Ammy, and Hell Glyphs for the sword). In HUv1.7, the uncursed items are generalist items: the uncursed ring is the lowest level +Skills ring, the sword should be the highest-damage one handed weapon (but also high stat requirements (133Str 70Dex)), and the amulet should be decent for any class (Sorcs might prefer Mara'sAmmy).
  2. When Soulmancer introduced these, he asked that the Glyph locations not be shared. They were introduced to encourage players to explore optional areas (caves, tombs, etc). With that in mind, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if I share that there is one glyph in A1, two in A2, and two in A3. The glyph locations stay the same across difficulties.

Legion - Pretty sure this is unique to v1.7
  1. In the HellForge Dragon room is a portal to a new area.
  2. The new area is slightly larger than average, and has portals along each edge (i.e. 4 portals, hard to miss).
  3. Three of the portals lead to small areas with a Boss that will drop a token.
  4. The SWest portal leads to a small area where the boss drops the DaybreakSoul charm (only in Normal, he'll drop a token in NM and Hell).
  5. Cube the tokens with DaybreakSoul and it'll gain an onEquip aura that makes Legion vulnerable to the OpenWounds mod (using anything else to damage him is impractical, he is immune to everything without the aura).
  6. Note that Legion has relatively low HP for a Boss, but since OWounds is the only thing that hurts him, he feels more like a timed-battled. He is stationary but summons random guardians (clones of PlayerCharacters - SummonerNecro, WW Barb, etc.)
  7. Legion has a Regen rate, so if he's not bleeding then he's healing, so it's pretty important to run back and tag him at least once per 8 seconds.
  8. Legion drops a token that can be cubed with DaybreakSoul (as long as it's currently got an aura onEquip), to replace the onEquip aura with some mods so it can act as a charm.
  9. To defeat Legion in later difficulties, you need use the DaybreakSoul charm from the previous Legion defeat (i.e. DaybreakSoul has stats other than onEquip aura), and cube it together with a set of four tokens (mentioned at #3 and #4 above) to replace the charm-stats with the onEquip aura suitable for that difficulty. When you defeat Legion at the higher difficulty, his defeat-token will improve the DaybreakSoul charm a bit more than before.
  10. At some point in the near future, I'll be working on the WebpageMaker to mention the recipes related to DaybreakSoul. They are relatively unique, so the program doesn't know how to interpret them (they're currently at the bottom of "RecipesOther" and make very little sense).

Soulmancer - I know he existed in pre-v1.7 HU, but I also know he's different in v1.7.
  1. Soulmancer spawns when Legion dies.
  2. Soulmancer is immune to everything as long as the PlayerCharacters spawned by Legion or Soulmancer are alive.

Halls of Arimyth - Pretty sure this is unique to v1.7
  1. In the area mentioned at Legion#4 there is a path that leads away from Legion and towards a portal to the Halls of Arimyth. There is a town portal tower in that area.
  2. There are three average-sized areas to explore, each of which ends in a room and battle quite similar to the Ancients quest, but not necessarily against Barbs. The names of each opponent were chosen by PureRage, and reflect some of the longer-playing HU community.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:57 am 

Brevan wrote:
[...](the stationary columns of people bits from A4)

First, quoted for the "laugh out loud" value, regarding the Trapped Soul description.

Second - thank you, as always, for the very informative post.

Sticky request?

:D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:36 pm 

Kind of ironic that the curse items are readily available on old websites.

Also a reference to rewards would be nice.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:46 pm 

I've been pouring over the recipes and data-base files for a while now, and I still can't find where one actually acquires the crafted jewels needed to make the tempered jewel.

I didn't think that the crafted jewels would be something that would just drop form any random mob, or be able to be gambled. So, if not by those means, then how? How do I get my hands on some of these awesome jewels for the Akara rings?

Furthermore, it seems that the Akara rings from norm cannot be equipped to a character if the ring boosts a skill which the character already has at least 1 hard point in. Does this trend continue with the NM and Hell variants?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:28 pm 

The crafted jewel recipes are in RecipesRare.html, since the initial jewel needs to be rare. Otherwise the recipes are the same as any other craft.

I'm not sure what is going wrong in your tests with the AkaraRing. That ring can only be equipped to the right-side ring slot, so only one ring per character. If you've added something into the socket, then for most socketables the required level is the maximum of the ring or socketable. I think in the case of a Tempered Jewel, if the Jewel's added level (ranges from +19 to +39) was higher than the ring's level, then after socketing the required level would be double the Jewel's level (e.g. a Lvl27Jewel + Lvl30Ring = Lvl57Ring, Lvl31Jewel + Lvl30Ring = Lvl62Ring, Lvl39Jewel + Lvl30Ring = Lvl78Ring). That oddity with Tempered socketables was chosen since the tempered Jewel is potentially much stronger than the ring. Don't forget that cubing an already gemmed AkaraRing returns both the ring and socketable (handy for cases where the Jewel is the main prize to carry forward).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:45 am 

Rare Jewel + Magic Jewel + Element of choice perfect Gem + Hammer = crafted Jewel

After you have a crafted Jewel you can temper it x5 with Element of choice starstone gem and a Hammer. It will turn green text and can only be used in akara rings.

Also be ware when rolling the akara ring with 3x rare rings, it will destroy the jewel inside it.

It's also incredibly good for mercs. The physical res version I only used when soloing ancients and saw my phys res jump up to above 45+ at times. But, I use it mainly for my prayer merc as you can only get that high of life leech there.

Halls of Arimyth seems to be bugged as I and others cant enter some areas without crashing to desktop.

Offline Profile