Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

Post subject: 1.7 Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:50 pm 

I got a ring from Akara with +1 to pole arm mastery (barb only), does this skill still exist and work even though it doesn't show in the skilltree?
What is "vampiric touch"?
What does "power: 10%" mean?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: 1.7 Questions
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:13 pm 

Your AkaraRing is an interesting "feature" of v1.7. Polearm mastery was removed from Barbs, but it was placed as a hidden oSkill on 1-Handed weapons because that skill is what actually gives the benefits of the Barb's "OneHanded Mastery" (i.e. points in OneHandedMastery do nothing until you wear a weapon to receive the stats). This means that your AkaraRing could give a Barb the stats from investing in OneHandedMastery regardless of the weapon being used. This means your ring is relatively powerful for melee Barbs who want to spend points in OneHandedMastery while they use other types of weapons. ThrowingMastery holds the stats of TwoHandedWeaponMastery and SpearMastery holds the stats of RangedWeaponMastery.

Vampiric Touch is a new skill that belongs to no class. As an oSkill, it would let you cast an Enchant clone (doesn't stack with Enchant or its clones) that temporarily grants +%ARating, and an effect similar to life steal (you get a few HP for every hit, regardless of the target's Leach resistance or how much physical damage you do). VampTouch synergizes with EShield and BoneArmor (+%ARating and duration, similar effects to Enchant). Other Enchant clones include ShockingGrasp (LtngDmg, Synergizes with EShield and BoneArmor similar to Enchant's synergies) and ChillTouch (ColdDmg, Synergizes with ShiverArmor and BoneArmor).

"Power 10%" is already described in PureRage's post detailing some features of v1.7. Basically, as you get injured, you'll be granted a buff based on how low your HP get and the power level of the ring. If you add a tempered jewel to the ring, it will raise the power level, but also the required level.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:05 pm 
Game Server Host

You can put any socketable into those rings (Gem/Rune/Jewel). A gem or rune will add it's shield mods.
You can remove the socketable by cubing the ring alone. The socketed item is also returned, so you can adjust it to whatever you need at the time.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:31 pm 

VampTouch, ShockingGrasp and ChillTouch work like Enchant and wont work with smite, correct?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:38 pm 

I didn't test it, but VampTouch should work with Smite. The +HP onStrike mod certainly does at least, which was one of the main reasons it was put on the Hsaru set. The others are just ElemDmg to Attack, like Enchant, so no luck there. Note that Kick and Shield damage is relatively high already to account for the loss of those mods.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 am 

The barbs one-hand/two-hand/range masteries don't show up in the char screen.
Does ranged mastery benefit bows and crossbows?
Does a javelin in melee benefit from one-handed mastery or ranged mastery?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:32 am 

Almost no passives show up in the char screen until your "+AllSkills" level changes (i.e. Skill shrine, BattleCommand, items, join a game, etc). Sorry for that inconvenience, it usually only affects new characters since their level changes several times a game. I'd recommend picking up a 2-handed weapon (they all spawn with +1AllSkills) and keeping it on switch, so when you place a skill point you can just weapon switch to and from that weapon and move on. For a Barb, BattleCommand is available at level 6, and is a good solution.

Ranged Mastery benefit bows, crossbows, and throwing weapons (during melee and thrown).

If you check the WhiteWeapons webpage, you'll notice that just about every weapon has an automod related to a hidden oSkill. That oSkill determines which mastery it benefits from.

The WeaponMasteries in v1.7 apply their +%ARating and %CriticalStrike regardless of which weapon you're attacking with, but only weapons of the appropriate type spawn with the appropriate Mastery oSkill. For example, you can have Lvl20 OneHandedMastery, but only 1-Handed weapons have the hidden oSkill that gives your character +%ARating and Crit for the points you placed in OneHandedMastery. If you had Lvl20 TwoHanded and OneHanded Mastery, then all of your attacks would gain the +%ARating and Crit from both skills regardless of which weapon is currently attacking, but only if you were able to hold a TwoHanded weapon at the same time as a OneHanded weapon. The swords that have +Paladin and +Druid skills count as OneHanded swords (as shown in the WhiteWeapons webpage).

Possible known exploits (they're not game-breaking exploits, since you'd have to spend a lot of skill points for the extra offensiveness, leaving you pretty fragile, but I suppose 1-point investments could be worthwhile):
  • Equip a OneHanded weapon with a ThrownWeapon (Axe is the way to go here since their average damage is highest), you'd possess the oSkills for OneHanded and Ranged Mastery, so could gain benefits for both weapons from both skills.
  • Find an AkaraRing with +PoleArm (aka OneHanded), Throwing (TwoHanded), or Spear (Ranged) Mastery. Those three Barb skills were the ones overwritten to provide the PassiveState that actually gives your Barb the stats from his weapon masteries, but they still show up with their old names since I never actually renamed them (didn't think anyone would see). That ring would allow the stats of an extra WeaponMastery (probably 20%Crit, 50%ARating end-game).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:11 am 

Thanks all the very detailed answers :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:26 am 

Brevan wrote:
+PoleArm (aka OneHanded), Throwing (TwoHanded), or Spear (Ranged) Mastery.

So a hell akara ring with both +PoleArm +Throwing could do some good strafe with Siren's song...

Are you sure the skills are linked as you said?
From the barbs skill tree it looks like this:
OneHand - Sword symbol
TwoHand - Pole symbol
Ranged - Throwing Axe symbol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:18 pm 

In the skill files, I edited the Barb's Masteries in his skill tree in the order OneHanded, TwoHanded, Ranged, and then edited the hidden masteries in that same order. This meant that Polearm=OneHanded, Throw=TwoHanded, Spear=Ranged. If I'd taken a step back and thought about it more, or if I'd foreseen the potential for items to get +ThrowMastery, then I might have tried to make things more intuitive. When I was done with skill editing, I edited the descriptions to use symbols that were a bit more intuitive (most swords are 1 handed, Polearms are 2 handed, and the ThrowMastery symbol is about as close as I can get to a Ranged icon).

Yes, the AkaraRing you mention with the two hidden passives would provide a noticeable extra chunk of damage (if you actually spent 60 skill points to max those masteries, then you deserve it and I hope it does well. If you spent 22 points (20 +1 +1), or even just 3 (1+1+1), then it would probably still be pretty noticeable). "Siren's Song" doesn't have any PierceTarget, but you could wear it with RazorTail (oSkill +5Pierce) and Age of Wrath Barbhat (33%Pierce).

It should make an excellent BowBarb (phys damage (maybe 1-pt Berserk with a big fat weapon on switch (maybe upgraded unique BalancedAxe (RangedMastery benefit), or Titanblade)), durable despite no Zon summons), even if you only get one or none of the hidden Masteries on AkaraRing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:37 pm 

How can I run multi char in both single player and the realm when it comes up. We used to use d2loader which I still have on my computer but don't rem how to set it up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 pm 

I wrote step by step instructions in the stickied can I multibox with d2se.

If you aren't using d2se, find out a way by yourself how to use d2hackit with multiple windows.

Offline Profile