Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:52 pm

Post subject: Re: HUv1.7 Download
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:38 am 

UmphreysMcgee wrote:
It's funny to see people say "Back in the good old days of 1.21 or 1.3" when overpowered builds ran rampant and everyone had an EZ button. Everyone complaining has no sense of seeking any sort of challenge.

It's funny when I hear people bring this up, those are the people who never had a character past Nightmare yet they complained how easy the game was. :lol:

I've talked with Brevan for a while on this patch and done hours of testing. I just have my doubts.

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am 

Cory wrote:
UmphreysMcgee wrote:
It's funny to see people say "Back in the good old days of 1.21 or 1.3" when overpowered builds ran rampant and everyone had an EZ button. Everyone complaining has no sense of seeking any sort of challenge.

It's funny when I hear people bring this up, those are the people who never had a character past Nightmare yet they complained how easy the game was. :lol:

I've talked with Brevan for a while on this patch and done hours of testing. I just have my doubts.

Do you remember the knockback LOS heros? So hard right? Or the stacking of skill GCs? Or the oskill masteries on end game weapons that tripled damage output? Please I've gone through every iteration of HU since before 1.21z, there was never a truly "difficult" version except for 1.4 when the boss locations were switched around and damage was spiked out of control.

Your doubts that you listed all scream "I made a character in hero editor and dabbled a bit"

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:46 am 

Cory wrote:
[*] Most the uniques are removed.
[*] Most sets are removed.

True. The ability to upgrade more items makes some of their exceptional/elite upgrades redundant (and thus they were removed), it does take away from the MFing experience.

Cory wrote:
[*] Uniques and Sets that remain have been edited.

Right, but they kind of had to be to get them in line with the lowered values as well as the complete removal of auras on equip.

Cory wrote:
[*] All skills have been edited.
[*] Skill synergies make no sense.

The synergies seemed weird to me at first, but it opens up lots of hybrid builds and since most of them are lower values (like 2% per point), I don't view them as necessary. I've tried builds that are completely unsynergized and they have all worked out really well.

Cory wrote:
Can you tell me why would you farm in hell in this patch? Just leo/cloister run with horker and stack gold to buy gems and crafting supplies.

This is also true. Brevan has mentioned that Hell was intended to be mostly about collecting trophies. Since there aren't a ton of lvl 90/95 items to grind out, it will be mostly about crafting and working toward taking down bosses rather than grinding.

That being said, it's really easy to add more unique and set items in future patches for the people who love the grind. I think 1.7 is going to be a solid baseline for future patches. Of course there will still be imbalances that will get exploited after a meta develops, but that has been the story for every HU patch since 1.3.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:01 pm 

You know what was a fantastic trophy that made characters strong, made you want to grind regardless of gear? Skill gcs. They're fantastic, the game when they existed had an actual economy that revolved around them. It turned strong characters into powerhouses when you started to accumulate them. And yes, when you capped out your inventory with +skills, it did trivialize a decent bit of the content but when you spend that much time on a character it probably should.

They got removed, there was the addition of soul shards. No where near as fun as GCs, because you were forced to go back and fight bosses for them and their drop rate was pretty high(and later absolute?), but it was something to work towards. Now soul shards are all but worthless, so nothing to farm there boys. This is pure speculation from what I've read but uniques are dead? Sounds good, so we can't even farm for 95s anymore. What's there to do? Craft? Crafting isn't fun. Crafting is killing easy mobs for gold, buying shit, and sitting in town looking at your cube the whole time.

I think the biggest disappointment is how gradual you ramp up in power. Stats give very little health and mana, to the point where not going max block is folly. It's to be expected when you devalue health to such a degree though. Skills and more importantly their synergies are the biggest offender. Firstly the one point into a skill every two levels is retarded, but whatever, change basic shit for the sake of changing it then label it 'to help with mana issues' when mana issues should never be a thing in the first place. But beyond that points in synergies are so low you barely see an increase in damage.

I think the worst thing is the normalization of damage. In the past there were choices between damage/utility or damage/survivability, but they tend not to exist anymore. Some examples were defensive passives vs synergies on WW/frenzy barbs. BO vs increased health. Almost every sorc had choices between ES and damage(I think TK was the one exception). These are largely removed with the possible exception being charged bolt, but you could never justify it since synergies are so poor and the majority of the damage is upfront in the skill's 20 points.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 pm 

I think that the this thread needs to be for the download. Comments about content, balance etc should have a different thread. I am kinda tempted to split it, but will leave it be.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:40 pm 

@Kramuti
Feel free to split this topic, I've already been having trouble constructing a list of v1.8 and v1.9 suggestions because I just can't find where folks put their comments. Seems a shame to lose lots of decent ideas.

@Angel
I'd agree that good use of FOrb can yield more damage than IBolt. FOrb has a cast delay, but since your sorc would probably be on the run anyways (there are still counters in v1.7, but they're usually 5%onStruck), the cast delay might not be important.

I consider an item a trophy when it serves to show that you overcame some challenge. If players don't feel like collecting trophies then they could consider starting a new character, perhaps a build they haven't tried before.

@Minu566
PCreeper - The early game is pretty easy in general, especially for poison skills (their main draw back is supposed to be that they take longer to deal the same amount of damage (good for Kiting strats, terrible for Tanking strats)). Tanking A1Norm is pretty trivial (ReplenishHP or PDR/MDR alone should work). By about A3Norm most skills are working as intended.

A1 to A2 BPrisons - These monsters count as level 50 in Norm (In NM and Hell, non-boss monsters are always the level of their area regardless of their level in the files), so I could see where a fresh character could struggle with them. Consider using Leap, LeapAttack, or Teleport to ignore them. They count as Undead, so HBolt and perhaps Sanctuary would do very well. My Merc and I usually get out well within a minute, so explore options to see what works best (you only have to break 1 of the 4 Prison sides (i.e. RegularAttack works better than Zeal or DoubleSwing), they're weak to PhysDamage). Folks are welcome to remove this feature in v1.9, but since the prisons are non hostile yet add an interesting play experience, I kept them for v1.7. I'm glad you've only rarely encountered them, they are spawned only by enemy archers onStrike (more details in the Monprops webpage).

Wake of Fire - Yup, this is a bug, thank you for pointing it out. I've made a note of it for when things get worked on again. WoFire is a level 6 skill in terms of its balancing, so it's the skill tab position that is incorrect (a hard change for me due to lack of software and experience editing D2's graphics).

HShock - I'd agree the HolyAuras make quick work of the early game (they're level 6, so you could probably get them before leaving BMoor when monsters are still level 1-2). As Angel mentioned, the defensive Resist auras max at level 10. There are other skills with a reduced max level, often that occurs when I was worried folks would accidentally click and waste a point, or when I was unable to make the skill more meaningful (Howl and BattleCommand max at level 1, Teleport at level 10; I was tempted to reduce the max level of most curses). I wanted the Resist auras to have a meaningful improvement per level (at least 1%), so they must have a reduced max to remain easily balanced.

RightClick skills - You probably meant Left click. I'd agree that there are some skills that don't work well on left click, such as auras (they shouldn't be left-clickable in v1.7). I haven't experienced any other troubles myself, but I know that some skills on left-click require you to hold down the shift key to cast them (otherwise you'd walk to the location instead). During Testing, I was asked to make more skills left-clickable and saw no reason to refuse the request. If you find that feature isn't working well for you for some skill then stick with the traditional options.

@Tsume
Does Soulmancer set's hat really have two capital 'S's? Silly stuff indeed, sorry I never thought to check. For jewels, the IAS mods are free, they occur on every jewel affix (feel free to confirm via the Affix webpages), most mods that aren't especially practical (i.e. not %ED and %IAS) have some minor free mods like FHRecovery and FBRate to make them more practical. There are several uniques with a single charge of something to synergy-bug some skill on the item. It's certainly possible for players to use those items and bug their own skills, but I'm pretty sure there aren't any significant exploits (those charges don't increase damage much if at all). In some cases, the charge is there just so that a proc'd summon survives (e.g. Herald of Zak shield, Kethryes'sFlight bow). I'd agree that there's lots of potential for confusion, but questions get answered and things get clear.

I'd agree that Soulmancer produced an excellent base game in HU, but he also made mistakes. 'Member when HU had huge amounts of CrushingBlow because Soulmancer didn't know what that mod did? That correction was made, folks learned a lot, and we moved on. After a dozen revisions, most folks agreed that HU was doing really well.

I made changes to v1.3 because I'd played it enough to be bored with it, so for me v1.7 was designed purely to change things and make it take a long time for me to exhaust the possibilities. PureRage was interested in using my files for his additions because my files are relatively clean and contain some improvements to make future modding much easier and less error prone.

@Cory
Whichever way forward you choose, I don't mind lending a hand. I don't remember all of v1.3's issues, but I recall enough that might help me search faster than you. Some details are in this thread.

Please let me know which v1.7 builds you had in mind for being poor/irrelevant in this thread, I've been looking for a build to play at reset, but I don't want to choose one of the strong ones because I'm looking for something more interesting.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:20 pm 

Thanks for all the stuff you guys did. Ready to go when the switch is flipped!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 am 

You're delusional if you think crafting is some sort of challenge. Killing a boss is a challenge which is rewarding by giving you things.

Killing a1 mobs that drop absurd amounts of gold because you stacked goldfind then swapping to a -price gear set and buying materiels, then playing put shit in the cube and transmute simulator for literal hours to get a decent drop isn't fun. It isn't challenging minus the fuck it makes me want to kill myself and I have fight that suicidal instinct the whole time I'm doing it.

Some other little things that aren't fun nor rewarding but give you literal best in slot items? Rolling rares.

You know what would give it a minor semblance of accomplishment? Having to use those now useless soulshards the boss drops to roll high end crafted gear.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:10 am 

Really. Can we keep this for download only.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:42 pm 

I fail to see why it matters. This is the best place for a hub of opinions on the patch, since it'll be the most visible.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:35 pm 

Because people that are looking to download it are most likely worried about getting things to work, and seeing if other had the same issues. Instead they get to read through opinions that have zero to do with the point of the thread. The download of it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:03 am 

@Braven
when u upload a new version plz let us know what to dl :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:27 pm 

Currently there are no further updates intended for v1.7, but I would certainly let folks know if something came up.

When a v1.9 Suggestions thread comes out (probably in summer), I've been keeping a list of things I notice people mention or minor bugs (WakeOfFire skill icon placement, Death'sSet's flawed +Dmg/Lvl, +MinDmg/Lvl not applied to throwing attacks, etc) that have been found. I'd expect those issues to be fixed at that time.

At the moment, the only potential bug that hasn't been confirmed, but would motivate me to ask Duff to update the servers is a bug that prevented players from experiencing new content like Legion.

If there were some server-side update, then I'm sure we could roll together some other corrections like Death'sSet (already confirmed that simply moving the mod to the Gloves makes the set work as intended).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:48 pm 

I've updated the Webpage Maker to produce slightly updated webpages and updated the Webpages download links to refer to updated files.

Changes:
  1. Added speed, range, str/dex bonus to white weapons page.
  2. Added MinReqLevel to runewords page (i.e. it just looks up the level of the runes and finds the highest).
  3. Recipes now check if an input is Unique or Set when only its name is provided (i.e. you could select "Rixot's Keen" or "uni,ssd", but I was only checking the latter), rather than assuming it was a miscellaneous item and tossing it to RecipesOther.html.
  4. Cube Recipes now report restrictions for the recipe (e.g. "inputs must be from same difficulty" or "only cubeable by Amazons", etc). Note that this isn't necessarily easily readable, but it might at least let folks ask more targeted questions when something isn't working.

If folks want to discuss the content of the webpages, then I'd recommend posting in the Webpage Maker topic so that I'll be able to find the information later.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:30 pm 

A client-side update has been prepared to fix the Legion and Halls of Heroes client-crashing bug. Since this is a client-side fix, the server will not updated with other minor fixes like Death'sSet's +Dmg bug. The first post has the fix and instructions, but for convenience it's also here:

Place this data folder in your Diablo2 folder or D2SE HUv1.7 folder, and run the game with "-direct -txt" arguments.
Download Update: WinZip , 7Zip

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm 

i downloaded the winzip under the two updates for maggot lair and crash error, placed it in data folder with direct txt, but when i go into the west area hall of heroes my client crashes

/e: i tried multiple times to enter it and it keeps crashing. now i tried north hall of heroes and that one didnt crash. strange

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 pm 

i was able to enter north and east without a problem, the only one causing the crash is west.

but something else in east, dr rodriguez has apparently a lot of invisible missiles that deal dmg out of nowhere and he can oneshot in melee sometimes for no apparent reason

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:51 pm 
Game Server Host

Invisible missiles and unedited D2Client.dll points to faulty install. This topic suggests you have a bad install or missing files: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19560

Create a new folder in your MODS folder.
Extract the core to that folder.
Extract the chosen patch to the same folder.
Make sure there is no data folder before next step.
Extract the mini update to the same folder.
Run the mod from that folder.
Report back.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: HUv1.7b Download
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:25 pm 

I've changed the set of HUv1.7b BitTorrent files, so if folks were having trouble downloading with that option, then they should be able to download the new set, and use 1 of those 8 files to get the package they'd like.

When you've finished the download, you'll have a folder with three files in it, but you can ignore/delete the files ending with
"..meta.sqlite"
"...meta.xml"

Those files were added by the group hosting the files for torrenting, and I guess are just related to their inventory system.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:48 pm 

Delete thez patch. 1.7b so retarding for play

I grew up where, when a door closed, a window didn't open. The only thing I had was cracks. I'd do everything to get through those cracks - scratch, claw, bite, push, bleed. Now the opportunity is here. The door is wide open, and it's as big as a garage

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:27 pm 

okay I downloaded both single player ones, regular resolution and high resolution. extracted them into a HUv7.1b folder in my D2SE. the game starts and I can make a character but when I try to start a game during the loading screen where it shows a door opening I get
'UNHANDLED EXCEPTOIN: BREAKPOINT (80000003) and another that says (c0000005)
then the game crashes.

I had a previous version working for a while until I got cain. then every time I clicked on him it would crash, then it started randomly crashing.

all my other mods work just fine through D2SE
I am running on windows 10 unfortunately. with a 64 bit system.

I read in a post here about core files and all. I am assuming the core files are included in the download links on this thread? I know the other versions there were two links for d2se. I can not run this mod outside of d2se either because I do not have a diablo 2 cd that will work with v1.10

I am running as administrator and have tried both windows XP service pack 2 and 3.

as for people running into privilege errors try turning off your data execute prevention, right click my computer, properties, advanced, click settings under performance, click data execution prevention. then browse and add d2se or diablo 2, or if they are there already remove them. windows blocks some unknown programs from running as a safety measure. I had to add The Hell mod ion this list to get it to work.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:57 pm 

HUv1.7b now includes the core files in every package, so you already have them.

Unfortunately I've never encountered the 80000003 error and the c0000005 error is so general that it doesn't help (My usual solution to c0000005 is to reboot the machine, it seems to work every time). An online search for 80000003 implies that it is related to graphics. Maybe double check that you've configured Glide or maybe try DirectDraw (assuming your video card supports this, use the VidTest program to check)

The install should be as simple as the first step mentioned in the original post, since you've already got D2SE up and running with other mods.
Assuming you've got D2 installed to C:\D2\
  1. Make a new folder in the mods folder, e.g. C:\D2\MODS\HUv1.7\
  2. Copy the package to that folder and extract it. You should end up with about 30 files and the Webpages folder. e.g.
    C:\D2\MODS\HUv1.7\Webpages\HOME.htm
    C:\D2\MODS\HUv1.7\patch_d2.mpq
  3. Start D2SE, select the mod from the list on the left. You might need to configure the video settings in the top right (Glide (this also has settings), DirectDraw, etc). When you're ready to start the game double-click the game banner on the left.
  4. Some things to confirm that you're playing Huv1.7b (let me know which fails):
    1. Check that bows are sold at Akara and require 10Str and 30Dex.
    2. Check that your new character starts with 10k gold, 30Stats, 1SkillPoint.
    3. Check that a level 1 Necro can place a point into RaiseSkeletonMage.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:48 pm 

alright that worked like magic. I was having problems with an older version and tried ddraw and it didn't work. I didn't think to try it on this version. and yes it is the correct version. now for step two. I quit my job and get a divorce and only play Diablo. thanks

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:05 pm 

Excellent.

Keep in mind that HUv1.7 was intended to bring back some of the Challenge that HU is known for, but there are plenty of players who didn't appreciate how that was implemented in HUv1.7. If you're in the groups that would enjoy monsters with less life or spells costing less mana, then go ahead and cube up some of the charms available in the Solo version and described in the opening post. If you're not enjoying the play style of the build you started towards, then feel free to make a Respec potion and try something else.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:07 pm 

yea it all is working fine. I think I am running into the invisible missile issue when I get to the boss in the den of evil. it just randomly takes health. I am going to do a fresh install of diablo 2 and d2se and add the mod to that and see if it fixes. I love the challenge though. reminds me of netherworld rises. the necro summons are super weak though. pretty much no HP. :) awesome mod though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:47 pm 

Corpsefire's invisible missile is a thing I couldn't find the solution to (the files do not show that missile, but I've only checked 2-3 times so maybe I keep missing it). I think he's the only case of it, and if you go into melee range he'll attack rather than lob his fireballs+invisi-oddity.

KingLeoric's aura (looks like Sanctuary, Seraphim also use it) removes HP from you, but that's not an invisible missile even though it might seem like it is.

If the necro summons you meant are Skeleton Mages, then their theme is to be glass cannons, so high damage and low durability. Same with Golems and SpiritBlade (although each is immune to their element). Skeletons and SkeletonKnight are the flip side, but you can always use an AI curse like Confuse, Attract, or DimVision to deal with trash. In short: experiment. There are several solutions to any problem but it's up to you to find one of them, or read about the solutions found by others.

Here's a thread discussing Summons:
http://forum.arimyth.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16788

Offline Profile