Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

Post subject: Latest Single Player Version
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:47 pm 

Hey Folks,

Glad to see people are still playing! I still see some names from when I played back in 07/08!

Looking to play single player again and years ago there was separate files for single player and multi player (because multi player was impossible to beat solo). What patch should I download for single player?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Latest Single Player Version
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:28 pm 

I haven't played v1.6, which is the version currently on the realm, but I'm pretty sure I've read that there is no single player version for it.

In January, the plan is to move towards HUv1.7 (which will have a solo version), so you could get a head start by trying the testing version of that. A recent update for that test package includes Solo edition files.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:03 pm 

The current full folder download for 1.6 here is for single-player and includes Plugy. It has several skill/item/boss changes from the ladder version. It was all finished and updated November 10th.

Many people will prefer to play 1.7 on ladder because multiplayer is generally more fun but some people prefer singleplayer so they can choose to either play the 1.6 or 1.7 SP since they are very different. 1.7 is likely a more balanced and fine-tuned game with new features whereas 1.6 is more classic and has more items for fluff.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:36 am 

Ensley03 wrote:
The current full folder download for 1.6 here is for single-player and includes Plugy. It has several skill/item/boss changes from the ladder version. It was all finished and updated November 10th.

Many people will prefer to play 1.7 on ladder because multiplayer is generally more fun but some people prefer singleplayer so they can choose to either play the 1.6 or 1.7 SP since they are very different. 1.7 is likely a more balanced and fine-tuned game with new features whereas 1.6 is more classic and has more items for fluff.

Ensley, thank you for continuing to provide prompt and useful information about the mod state.

Having seen your reply in the "State of HU" thread, I downloaded all the 1.6 files and am rolling a new Javazon. That said....with 1.7 looming on the horizon, are the changes in the mod between 1.6 and 1.7 such that 1.6 save files cannot be used in 1.7 solo edition?

Having spent so many years on 1.21, to move to 1.6 (essentially starting over) I'd hate to have the same thing happen again a month later :-P

Cheers, happy holidays!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:59 am 

When I last looked into the HUv1.6 properties file, I think all of those properties still exist in v1.7 ("invalid inventory" error if properties aren't found in new version), but I'm very sure itemstatcost.txt doesn't match (controls how the mods on items are saved, this also causes "invalid inventory" error, but only when the mods on your items happen to be the ones that were changed (I think "Replenish Life" was one of many changed mods)).

If you downloaded the test version of v1.7, and made a new mod-folder (if you're using D2SE; maybe copy your entire D2 folder otherwise), then you could make a copy of your save files where every item is deleted and import that into v1.7. The main benefit of this is preserving the level and quests of the character. You'd need to use plugy to reset your stats/skill points though, but if you don't use plugy then for now the v1.7 test package has cube recipes to produce a Respec Potion (HP + MP potion), as well as any unique and set item (transmute any base item. Note this generates a copy of something that has no set/unique counterpart (e.g. Gems), which is also handy). Once you've got your characters geared up again with v1.7 items, then it's very likely that they'll still be alright for the final v1.7 update.

Alternatively, consider just saving your v1.6 characters for when v1.8 comes out, they might still be importable to that version. Also, If you intend to continue playing Solo, then there's no strong reason to switch to v1.7 until you get bored of what you're currently enjoying, v1.7 is just intended to be the realm version.

One of the themes of v1.7 is starting over (collect character builds rather than items), so it might be beneficial to start from scratch so you don't miss any early-game features (e.g. the Gidbinn quest reward for Norm or NM, or the ReturnTomb from under Tristram in Norm).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:37 am 

Brevan wrote:
Alternatively, consider just saving your v1.6 characters for when v1.8 comes out, they might still be importable to that version. Also, If you intend to continue playing Solo, then there's no strong reason to switch to v1.7 until you get bored of what you're currently enjoying, v1.7 is just intended to be the realm version.

One of the themes of v1.7 is starting over (collect character builds rather than items), so it might be beneficial to start from scratch so you don't miss any early-game features (e.g. the Gidbinn quest reward for Norm or NM, or the ReturnTomb from under Tristram in Norm).

Brevan, thank you as well for the informative reply, much appreciated :-).

Give the bold text above, I'll run a few characters (or at least 1) through 1.6 and explore what I can.

Cheers!

Offline Profile