Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 am

Post subject: Hell Unleashed 1.6 --- SP and LowRes
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:46 pm 

Hey there, honoured devs,

I have an important question to address to you (and I think many of us would like to ask you this). Besides the multiplayer community, there are those (including myself) who do not have the time to commit to full multiplayer (scheduling problems with friends, work, etc). Is there a possibility that you release a toned down singleplayer variant of the latest version of the mod (I mean completable on SP, not downright impossible like the MP one). Also, is there a way for you to at least leave the option for certain oldschool players to play in 800x600 (low res)? Seeing a version like that would be awesome and I think that most players of the community would appreciate it.
Thanks and keep up the good work!

Rock n' Roll, baby ;)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Hell Unleashed 1.6 --- SP and LowRes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:42 pm 

HUv1.6 will probably only be continued for another 2-3 months, so I think the changes above will need to wait for v1.8 (probably based on v1.6).

HUv1.7 will definitely have a solo version (20% reduced monster damage across all attacks and skills, no other changes). I only play HU in 800x600, so v1.7 will support that. I haven't tried higher resolutions, so I'm not sure what changes are needed to support it, but I know PureRage and some of the v1.7 testers play on higher resolutions so those should be supported as well.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:03 pm 

@Brevan
Why u work on 2 different versions? isnt 1.7 the "evolution" of HU in general?
or 1.6 cant be soloed? is it that hard?
im confused ....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:52 pm 

HU has been around for a long time, and has changed many times. The versioning number can be misleading, since after version 1.21 (about twenty revisions by Soulmancer, he mentioned he was getting bored of HU and wanted to move on), the versioning then went to v1.3, v1.4, etc. (Soulmancer had nothing to do with these). HU was initially designed to be a multiplayer mod, but Soulmancer went with community suggestions/requests, and developed a solo version and generally made Normal difficulty easier for newer players.

When I was away from the community (didn't even have decent Internet for a year) starting around 2010, I decided to work on my own version of HU (based on v1.3, I just wanted to change some fundamental things like scaling player defense/offense and increase the number of builds). Since I liked those changes, I offered my files and design document to some of the folks modding HU while I was away, and around 2015 PureRage mentioned that he was interested in incorporating them into v1.7.

One of the main benefits of having two versions of HU is that while one version is on the realm and being played and generating suggestions from players, the other version is down and being improved, fixed, or tested. This way HU could evolve in two directions. At the moment two possible directions are very tough bosses (HU became known for this) for the v1.6 and v1.8 (even versions) series, and tough trash (HU was known as relatively tough in general, especially the first few versions) for v1.7 and v1.9 (odd series). I don't know what directions will eventually be chosen, but those two sound reasonable. I think switching between the two varieties would be nice, since I get bored of things that don't change.

Since I haven't played v1.6 I don't know if it can be soloed. I understand that there's no "solo" version, since it's quite a lot of work to change the multiplayer version into a version with reduced damage for very skill and monster (I have a way to simplify this in the future, so solo versions should be easier to release). Last I remember, HU was pretty simple to solo in Norm as long as you were playing one of the stronger builds, built yourself to be tanky (collect gear specific to the next boss to overcome, get as much Vitality as possible, etc), and generally know the tricks to doing well in games like D2 (kiting bosses is a great strategy, etc). I once soloed the Ancients with a sorc in NM just by teleporting around while my A1 merc shot them. They died eventually, but I wouldn't call it a fun battle.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:48 am 

So basically 1.3, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.9 (eventually) are the same version
and 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 (eventually) is the other version.

thanks a lot for your replies !

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:11 pm 

Interesting! The information provided was very useful indeed. Yet it leaves a single question: when can we expect a 1.7 release? I think most die-hard fans are drooling in anticipation :D

Stay a while and listen! :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:32 am 

DoubtFuLMind wrote:
So basically 1.3, 1.5, 1.7 and 1.9 (eventually) are the same version
and 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8 (eventually) is the other version.

thanks a lot for your replies !

Not at all.
1.3s were the first extenstions of soulmancers work. 1.4 was a redoing of some things, including movement of bosses which sunk it. 1.5 was Mrawskrad work where potions were standardized, hp pools looked at, different skills for a lot of classes. 1.6 was an extension of 1.5 in someways, but there were a good number of snafoos.

1.7 undoes the potions and hp adjustments in favor of going back to 1.3 and basing things there before changing...and A LOT has changed...i won't give spoilers as it is not my place. Whatever happens afterward will depend on who will work on it, and what is really wanted...and some (semiplanned) stuff that several have had in their minds.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:09 pm 

@kramuti

thanks!!
What do u mean there were snafoos? (i dont know what the word means). You mean snafu? (which is chaos i think?). :roll:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:50 pm 

yes. snafoo, snafu, whatever:0
As far as to what they were, just take a gander at the old threads. Not really worth bringing up again.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:03 am 

Which one would u play? :) (solo)

Offline Profile