Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 pm

Post subject: New changes in 1.7 patch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:58 am 

Since hardly anyone plays anymore the single player MOD should be added to multi.
To give the odd few that still play a chance to progress. I am lol 30 stuck in act2 and spend 90% of my time having to solo everything until I get stuck and need to beg and msg a high lvl chat to try and come carry me since there isn't anyone playing at my lvl.
I want to give this game another chance but so far am finding myself giving up already. Nooooo.......

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: New changes in 1.7 patch
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:27 pm 

If you are stuck at level 30 in this patch, you are not going to make it past level 20 in the next patch. There are some builds you simply cannot go and expect to solo the game. Also there's usually 5+ people on all the time except the middle of the night and this isn't 2010 or a new patch.

If this patch is too hard then this mod is probably just not for you because most of the "pros" here would tell you this may be the easiest patch, it just requires farming/crafting etc like every other one, but no immunities is massive.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:43 pm 

There isn't much I can say about the current version, although usually the early-game is pretty simple if you're stacking PDR/MDR in your gear. It doesn't take too much to be immune to trash damage in the early game (even in v1.7 - early PDR/MDR makes for pretty smooth sailing to char level 30). That aside, maybe experiment more with your character's skills and ask for tips and tricks in the Strategy forum. When you post a question there, let folks know what kind of play style you're aiming for (melee, range, summoner, etc), and whether or not you'll be fully geared (maybe you have a dozen Mule accounts or offline-hero editor), playing with a group, etc.

I know in the past there hasn't always been a solo version of HU because it takes quite a lot of work to create (hundreds of monsters need to be studied to determine how their skill levels should be changed). For v1.7 there will certainly be a Solo version available because I found a way to set all monster spell damage to be based on a formula that uses their level (details here for those interested). Along with a file change that reduces monster non-spell damage, I think nothing more is needed for a decent Solo Edition.

v1.8 is welcome to use the same method of manipulating monster damage (either by taking the v1.7 skills.txt and missiles.txt files, or re-implementing the method those files use).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:00 pm 
Game Server Host

Ensley03 wrote:
If you are stuck at level 30 in this patch, you are not going to make it past level 20 in the next patch.

This isn't true, difficulty increases as you progress, not the other way around. Nobody should have any issues making it to ~late act 4 in 1.7 solo and you are level 70-75 by then.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:35 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Ensley03 wrote:
If you are stuck at level 30 in this patch, you are not going to make it past level 20 in the next patch.

This isn't true, difficulty increases as you progress, not the other way around. Nobody should have any issues making it to ~late act 4 in 1.7 solo and you are level 70-75 by then.

Not sure how it couldn't be true since it's been said that the gear is much more simple and old school, so even if some of the skills are vastly different, the gear difference would likely hold someone back even more if they already felt it's too difficult right now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:42 pm 
Game Server Host

Enemies don't have 1.6 damage/hp values. You're assuming nerfs to players without touching monsters and keep forgetting it's not based on 1.6. When we say numbers have been reduced, we mean everything is using smaller values, not just half of it. It's not just 1.6 with nerfed items :o .

Did you read the design document? It has been available for a month now, and everything is layed out there in detail.
Bottom of Brevans post here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14092&start=10

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:18 am 

I'm generally not one to assume things, but 1.6 is specifically designed to not have any real difficult bosses for any build until you get to Duriel, which would put you around level 36. Along with more powerful items and more options, that's why I believe it's highly unlikely that someone who's stuck at level 30 in this patch (stuck on what? the summoner? wtf?) will have much success in 1.7, or any other patch in the history of ever.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:04 pm 
Game Server Host

Ensley03 wrote:
I'm generally not one to assume things, but 1.6 is specifically designed to not have any real difficult bosses for any build until you get to Duriel, which would put you around level 36.

You haven't played 1.7 so you are assuming :). The level scaling is also faster in 1.7. It's fairly easy to reach 30 in act 1 and have access to all character skills.

Edit: Examples at the same point in the game you are talking about (Both solo'd to act 5 eventually).
Melee Sorc:

Summon druid:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:40 pm 

public test version of 1.7 is available in the suggestions forum for anyone that may have missed it. 1.7 is considerably different from 1.6 so keep that in mind while trying it out!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:14 pm 

Can't wait to try it out, sadly I can't do it still for a few days. But a quick question:

Looking at the screenshots, will the original act/difficulity/area based potions return (light, med, etc.) along with rejuvs? Not judging as I haven't tried it yet, but I remember it was a relief when they got standardized throughout the game.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:38 pm 
Game Server Host

Yeh potions are back to normal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:56 pm 

Kevin too good at game though needs Nerf.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:24 am 

can I play it multiplayer? Or is someone hosting a server I can connect to? no point in playing by myself, not as fun

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:33 am 

Since v1.7 is only for testing right now, there shouldn't be a server running it. You could try playing on Arimyth via OpenBattle.net, I know you can get a game started at least, but I've not had any luck joining other v1.7 games, or having others join mine. My network setup might have issues though, so give it a shot.

You are welcome to play v1.7 with others though, via TCP/IP ("Other Multiplayer"). I'm pretty sure you'd have to configure port forwarding for Diablo2 since it's a pretty old game.

If you can't find others, then Normal difficulty shouldn't be too hard if you're playing with a merc and don't mind abusing the testing-recipes to get yourself fully socketed up or with an item you'd like to try out. Trash monsters are pretty easy to tame if you've got something to manipulate their AI (Attract, Confuse, DimVision, BlindsTarget, Convert, Howl, GrimWard, CloakOfShadows, MindBlast, Decoy or other Summon, Freezing effects... pretty sure that's nearly everything). You can find some curses on any wand as an oskill, or skull-craft for onStruck/onStrike procs if your class can't afford the mana for casting.

The value of testing solo is that you'll be more aware of when your build is behaving strangely, rather than just assuming the other player is behind the shenanigans. The value of playing in a team is that you'll have an idea of how other builds react to the same situation (some monsters are weak to elemental damage, yet a phys-damage build could leach his way through a massive mob without taking much damage). Feel free to play both.

If you've already played some, then can you explain why it wasn't much fun? I've already made changes to the Charger Paladin because I decided to play with one after hearing Shantu's unhappiness with them. He didn't get around to providing feedback, but at least I became aware that an investigation was needed. I've also recently made changes to low level physical damage on weapons, since I was able to find an error in how they had been balanced previously. Those changes are likely to be shared publicly within a week.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:20 pm 

I had no luck with open bnet either, but you can play over Gameranger or hamachi if you have someone to play with. They are both virtual lan services but I prefer Gameranger so that's what my post is going to be about. Gameranger works only with a non-D2SE install though.

First, download and install the client from http://www.gameranger.com/. You will need to register.
Gameranger runs the "Diablo II.exe" that is selected in your preferences and it refuses to run files named anything else. Since the mod requires the "-direct -txt" command line options to be present, the client won't be able to load the mod. To circumvent this, rename your "Diablo II.exe" to something else (say, Diablo_II.exe) and update "Hell Unleashed.bat" with the new name.
After that, you need to download the new Diablo II.exe that I have created. My exe simply runs "Hell Unleashed.bat", which will in turn run the original exe with the correct command line options.

Please note that I have only been able to get this to work with the D2Loader "Diablo II.exe" from the 1.10 backup folder, which can be found in your 1.6 install folder. You may need to copy it over to your 1.7 install.

I think that's about it, let me know if it's unclear.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:55 pm 

@Brevan

I prefer multi because it adds another aspect to the game that I miss in SP..
Solo feels lonely + I'm never prematurely optimizing my builds, takes out the fun for me. I always play the momentarily most fun / viable build mix and a lot of times it works out just fine :)

After reading the change log the only thing I can think of while waiting for 1.7 is that I'd love to participate in modding

if only I knew my way around the source (1997 kid haha)

Shame we don't have any guides on how to get started with HU modding, would love to contribute and get more experience in a low level language, deved for about 4 years now.

For me the idea of looking in to the D2 source is a holy grail lol. Been basically growing up on it, love every second and I always revisit.

maybe someone can point me to the right direction or I'll just do some more digging myself

@Shantu - thanks man. sounds like a giant pain in the ass to set up for the first time :lol:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:51 pm 

ferologics wrote:
Shame we don't have any guides on how to get started with HU modding, would love to contribute and get more experience in a low level language, deved for about 4 years now.

As it turns out, kev (purerage) created the "homemade" section of this forum dedicated to that:
viewforum.php?f=25

Here you are, young padawan:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4282

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:29 pm 

Diablo modding generally does not include editing source code.

When Diablo starts with the "-txt -direct" tags, it's being told to look for the data folder, and within that the excel folder, and within that the text files that are little more than detailed config files. The text files are easily opened in any spreadsheet application (I use OpenOffice, but clearly the D2 developers used MSExcel). Each spreadsheet is arranged similarly to a database that has been somewhat normalized (redundancy removed). My advice for learning to mod is to first review the FileGuides. Those guides were created by folks who often used good-testing methods with trial and error to figure out what each column of the text files appeared to control.

The only thing that required developer knowledge was producing the WebPage Maker, and the hard-coding edits PureRage provides (I believe he's using little more than a hex editor to edit the binary (AssemblyCode) itself). If you'd like a copy of the Python code (you mentioned having developer experience) that I wrote for the WebPage Maker, just let me know, but keep in mind that like the v1.7 Design Document, it won't super easy to follow.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:41 pm 
Game Server Host

I use ollydbg for code edits since blizzard never released the source. Most of the time will be spent locating the code section and identifying what each instruction is doing (unless it's already on PK, then you just go to address > edit > done). Being able to attach to the program and debug stuff while the game is running is a massive time saver, and being able to see values that are stored in registers is especially useful. Hex editors like XIV32 are perfect if you already know the location of each byte you need to edit.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:49 am 

I didn't see a 'v1.7 idea/suggestion thread' so I guess I'll try here. Is there any way to code in new throwing pots i.e. rare/unique throw pots with an affix or three? Or have them affected by %skills to make them somewhat usable with a niche build? Always thought it would have been a neat thing for diablo even when I was playing on live. I don't know what the constraints on throwables are as far as coding goes, and I don't even know if it is possible. Just thought it was kind of a squandered item in diablo, would have been cool to see it used mid / late game.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:20 pm 

I'd like to see more interesting throwing pots too, but the two varieties that already exist are surprisingly hardcoded. I eventually gave up trying to edit the poison variety and settled for giving them levels appropriate to their damage (level seemed like the only thing I could change). For exploding potions I was able to adjust the damage, quantity, and level, so there are some that exist at levels 10, 50, and 80, with AoE damage appropriate for that level (about 20% trash monster HP as damage). When it comes to throwables, I might be able to do some interesting things via procs on throwing weapons (javs, etc).

If you've been testing v1.7, feel free to reply to the threads in the suggestions forum with other things you'd like to see changed, or builds that seemed like you weren't getting what you paid for.

Offline Profile