Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

Post subject: direction of 1.7?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:05 am 

Hey just wanted to ask what's coming with 1.7 to hu. Recently there is nothing interesting or challenging enough. With the direction current gaming is going in particular the arpg genere, hu 1.7 is my only hope for yet another superb hard fun time, my fav patch to date was last years one I found it very chalenging therefore very enjoyable. Sadly enough even poe has been so dumbed down there is no more incentive in playing. So yea what's there in store?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: direction of 1.7?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:38 am 

Plenty of new content (new bosses and levels), plenty of new & revised skills / synergies. Based on my very limited time testing the patch, I think the veteran players here will enjoy the difficulty. I won't spoil all the big surprises though :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:16 pm 

Sounds good, I really liked the difficulty, bosses being extremly difficuld, working hard min maxing my chars farming loot, the rng crafting. Sometimes even compleatly reroling to beat another boss. Needless to say this mod really tested my knowledge of d2, so fun, at least for me. Hate the way all arpg starting to lean towards insta gratification, no fun in that for me. So any estimates on 1.7? Like 1 or 2 months?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:05 pm 

It is likely longer than 1-2 months away, though that depends on how often they work on it I suppose. They said now was a good time for the reset because it wasn't coming soon.

Now that there's no abusive items or builds, why don't you come show us how EZ 1.6c is :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:45 am 

Dosnt look like I will have time for this patch, so most likely I will start on next patch, at least things are looking that way. I think there is a lot of people out there that are looking for something like hu. D3 failed many d2lod veterans, and poe from expansion to expansion its going away from its hardcore niche. I believe hu could attract more players, but constant resets are not a good example, not saying there is anything wrong with current content. The small time I had past few months, decided to not to play cous of the reset drama.

Its good that people try to evolve hu its what keeps the community alive.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:49 am 

slappyNuts wrote:
Plenty of new content (new bosses and levels), plenty of new & revised skills / synergies. Based on my very limited time testing the patch, I think the veteran players here will enjoy the difficulty. I won't spoil all the big surprises though :)

Sounds great, especially the "plenty of new & revised skills / synergies".
I hope some useless/unused skills will be tweaked, like:
Sorc's -> Flame Wave, Firewall, Blaze
Paladin's -> Conversion
Necro's -> Attract and Confure curses (I think they have to be replaced)
Amazon's elemental arrows
Druid's -> Shock Wave
Assassin's "kicks" (except Dragon Tail)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:27 pm 

Flame wave Sorc woulbe be absolutely awesome, dream come true.

Flame wave/ Firewall ES sorc I had one before, unfortunately flame wave needs a buff in damage.

Firewall on other hand becouse of its anti counter mechanics its already very very good.
Its sad that flame wave is lacking in that build imo, otherwise it would be just to awesome.

On diferent note...

Where the hell is 1.7 god damnit :D It is about time we got something going here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:04 pm 
Game Server Host

Summer is a really busy time for me, and Brevan has been away from home for a month or so, so progress atm is mostly just play testing builds.

Need to have a chat with Brevan once he gets back and start tieing up loose ends. We'll release some documentation for everyone to take a look at soon hopefully.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:50 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Summer is a really busy time for me, and Brevan has been away from home for a month or so, so progress atm is mostly just play testing builds.

Need to have a chat with Brevan once he gets back and start tieing up loose ends. We'll release some documentation for everyone to take a look at soon hopefully.

I love that you guys keep the mod alive - truly. D2 is my big "nostalgia" game, and the HU content is great. I wish I had more free time to use for online play (I miss a good online community) but alas, I'd be unreliable for group play.

Anyways, I'll download 1.6 and see how SP feels.

Cheers!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:50 pm 

Play Hardcore. Its the only way to play Diablo.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:26 pm 

I don't have too much to say regarding the changes PureRage has put into v1.7, but they include quest-reward changes for A1Q3 and A3Q2, new areas for exploration, and plenty of improvements on the base version I had already enjoyed for a couple years.

A significant chunk of v1.7 is based on the version of HU I started modifying from, which was v1.3. Interesting times prevented me from participating in the HU community, so there are plenty of changes I haven't seen, despite helping some with v1.5 and a bit of QA with v1.6. With that in mind, there will be some features from those versions missing in v1.7 (also keep in mind that they'd return with v1.8 and maybe v1.9).

My changes to v1.3 promoted rebalancing of things like monster resistances and damage, character builds, and items. In general, I adhered to an old saying, "Some people notice a change as small as +20%, but everyone notices +33%". That means that most changes you'll experience from your gear or skills are around that range.

I was frustrated with how a character completely dominated monsters with their immunity pierced, or was completely stopped by monsters when their immunity was not pierced, so I generally reduced those numbers. Skills or gear (all slots together) generally get at most 33%ElemPierce, meanwhile monsters are generally never immune. PureRage has modified the hard-coded resistance buff named monsters get from Fire, Cold, or Lightning Enchanted from +75%Res down to about 33%, so even a named monster's resistance might be breakable. I've standardized monster skill damage as described in this thread, making it much easier for modders after me to quickly change the spell damage of all monsters. I can release what I think is a decent solo version (-20%monster damage) of the mod after a few minutes of modification.

The numbers and synergies involved in skills are generally smaller. Most skills get two synergies of 2% each (so +80% damage when you maxed both synergy skills). This means that a build is composed of 3 skills, but if you don't max all the synergies for a skill, it's not really a big deal (a skill with 80% synergies does about 30% more damage than that skill with 40% synergies). Since you'll max a 3-skill build around A4 Norm, you have plenty of skill points left to invest in skills that make up for some weakness in your skill set or gear.

I've generally organized skills into builds based on the play style of the build. I often put together skills where one hit a single target hard, one hit several targets, and the last was different. I balanced Summons into either Offensive (Golems, DireWolf, Grizzly, SkeletonMages, Raven) or Defensive. In my estimate, there are about 70 builds that I expect to be enjoyably playable, but obviously I've not had the chance to try them all. I hope some of them are a bit on the weaker side, for folks who want more challenge when they're part of a group, and I'm sure some are a bit on the strong side. One of the benefits of using relatively small numbers is that the mistakes are relatively small. I've set up most summons to use the exponential growth described in this thread, which frankly makes their growth rate quite hard to modify, but they can still be easily scaled.

Gear is being balanced around having a total of about +13 AllSkills and +30%ElemDamage end-game. The number of +Skills was chosen so that Tier5 (skill level 28+) skill damage does not dominate the skill. Fighting weapons get about +100%EDmg, while armor gets around +100%EDef meaning that upgrading them via the cube is almost always worthwhile (they'll also gain a +1AllSkills if they're Unique or Set). Rare mods are designed with the assumption that you'd roll until you got 6 mods (this means 3 prefixes, and 3 suffixes), so I was able to split an important mod (like IAS or %ED) across all prefixes or suffixes to make rares more reliable. I also used the "Max Level" column of that file so that weaker mods stop spawning for high level situations. For example, v1.7 expects your weapon and shield slots to eventually give you +3 skills each, so almost all (80%?) high-level weapon prefixes give +1AllSkills in addition to whatever they normally give (you wouldn't have to reroll for some singular +3Skills mod). I used autoskills to give +2Skills to all elite shields (there is a single +1Skill mod among shield prefixes), and +3 skills to all elite 2-handed weapons. The automods mean Runewords retain their usefulness a bit longer (I believe "Ancient's Pledge" works fine in A2Norm as well as A5Hell). I think every base item has automods. oSkills are common, since I would need a reason not to include them (we've been recently exploring lots of animation-related issues with some of these sadly).

Between the changes to monster balance, skills, and gear, I'm sure some folks will hate v1.7, but I'm also sure that most players will enjoy it.

Here is a link to the design document I wrote a couple years ago to help organize my changes. It's a lot to read, and most details are about monster, player, and skill balance. In general, when the current testers find something in the game that doesn't match the design, then the design was correct and the game gets changed. The document was written for me only, but I'm pretty sure it's not so terribly written that no one else can figure things out. It contains all the details for skills and their synergies, but nothing is written in stone.
D2 Mod Ideas

I don't think it's worth sharing an Items webpage link quite yet, since those are still changed pretty often.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:41 am 
Game Server Host

Summary of my side of things so far (mostly optional stuff and under the hood improvements):

1: Return tome (now "Tristram Codex") has been themed better. Leoric has been moved below the cathedral in Tristram.
2: Challenges have been cleaned up, and made simpler with less obscure mechanics.
3: Challenges are unlocked by completing the Gidbinn quest for the challenges difficulty and cubing the token Ormus gives you with the Codex.
4: Akara now rewards a special unique ring for rescuing cain, that can be socketed for greater customisation. (ring recieves shield mods from gems/runes)
5: Jewel crafting and tempering has been implemented. These jewels can only be socketed in an akara ring, but can be customized allowing you to design your own ring as you go.
6: Various hard coded edits and improvements (some exist in current version but had to be back ported), see addendum at end.
7: 15 new maps added, and a number of existing maps have been made bug free (Izual) or edited to link to new maps.
8: Soulmancer boss has been redesigned and added as an ending for completing a new event called Legion (no more portal abuse tactics), which is a kind of time based boss fight where you need to defend against waves of attackers while killing the boss.
This event and Soulmancer can be completed in all difficulties and in order for seperate rewards.
9: New event added which sees you fight through different parts of the City of Arimyth to reach an arena type boss fight against 3 bosses at once below each of the 3 sections of the City (9 new bosses total, fought 3 at a time)
10: UI has been adjusted for new skill tree positions.

Addendum:
Hardcoded stuff:
PureRage-DoD wrote:
Implement return tome - done
Implement socket lock to prevent some items being socketed into certain items - done
Implement respec for testing phases - done (currently also added as a reward for completing the Tristram Codex hell trial)
display hp and mp values all the time - done
unlock talic ai to allow wwing enemies - done
change crafts level req +10 +3/affix to +1 base +1/affix - done
increase def per dex from 0.25*dex to 1*dex - done
change max block cap to 66% (does not lower the max displayed value on shields) - done
fire enchanted reduced from 75% res to 33% - done
cold enchanted reduced from 75% res to 33% - done
light enchanted reduced from 75% res to 33% - done
pois enchanted reduced from 75% res to 33% - done
Magic resistant reduced from 40% fire/cold/light res to 33% - done
stoneskin reduced from 50%dr to 33% - done
lower max resist cap to 50% (before +max res stat) - done
Move skills used by moncurse to independent lines - done
move aura enchanted aura ids to independent lines - done
change aura enchanted aura level to mlvl/4 for all auras - done
change fire enchanted death effect to a new missile. - done
fix manaburn bug - done
improve akara ring reward - done (see quest adjustments thread)
improve ormus ring reward. - done (see quest adjustments thread)
Adjusted max ilvl of items sold by vendors in normal - done
Increased max ilvl for vendros to sell whites (ilvl 30) - done
Changed A5Q2 Rune reward from Tal, Ral, Ort to Gul, Vex, Ohm - done

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:11 pm 

1.7 Hype !! 8-) Awaiting patience

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:25 am 

Really interesting stuff there PureRage. Few questions:

Was there anything that could be done about fixing the Flayer Jungle maps that show a Gidbinn location that isn't really there?

Does the Akara ring have BoCL bonuses of any kind? Without that, it would either have to be an OP item, or an item you simply outgrow very quickly, regardless of whatever you can socket it with. I'm not sure how leet you intend for this item to be.

Is Jewelcrafting simply a new recipe tab being added to the power/blood/caster/etc list? Does it have its own specific base stats for each gem type and then can roll additional (and stacking) mods? ED% base jewel with ED% + IAS roll, or resist base + resist roll could be really OP but sounds interesting if it's done right.

Did you ever come up with the system to allow edits that don't require Duff to do anything on his end? If there was a way to edit minor balance issues or simply add new content without having to go though all the rigmarole, it would do wonders for the longevity of the patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:37 pm 
Game Server Host

A3 outdoor maps are awkward because they don't always spawn from the same selection of ds1's. I have notes on the full structure of a3 somewhere but i'd need to hunt out old external drives to find them. Maybe for 1.8/9

The ring varies based on what difficulty you complete the quest in. The level req also increases. The total level req is ring level + Tempered jewel level. Tempering forces the level req to what I specify in cubemain.txt, so the max level req is on the ring is 60base + Jewel level (14+(5*temper level))

Crafted jewels come with 3 stats based on the element of the gem, so max fire res, fire absorb and fire pierce at 1% each + random rare mods. You can temper the jewel after which is like a 5 max times additional craft, and you can choose any other elements you like for your 5 tempers. Tempering increases the level req of the jewel so a max tempered jewel in a hell difficulty ring would be a level 99 req, with custom stats based on how you crafted/tempered the jewel. like this:

image hosting over 5mb
Emerald craft + 5x tempers. Rings come with random skills to the same class as the +1 class, that one is a perf roll for venom build. Craft stats have been reduced to cap out at 6%. You can only wear 1.

So they can be very good or very bad depending on your level and how much time you have to craft and how lucky you get rerolling/trading for a good ring. Plus the reroll recipes and craft recipes promote trading if you decide to work on one.

I forgot about that edit, it needs tested with d2gs and that's a bit awkward as D2GS hates my new laptop for some reason.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:59 am 

Can you reroll the ring's base class+skill mods or do you have to just keep making new characters?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:26 am 
Game Server Host

You can reroll 1 ring using 3x rare rings as many times as you wish.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:47 am 

It all looks so sexy. Waiting eagerly for this. Awesome job guys. :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:52 am 

Recently I have been thinking about the abundance of + skills in d2 lod meta and its effects. Classic D2 seemed much more balanced from what I remember when it comes to itemization.

Im very excited about the + skill nerf, and the power creep cut in general, it seems like the perfect change at least in my opinion, very curious how its going to play out.

Offline Profile