Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 am

Post subject: patch?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:08 am 

are we going to get a 1.6c update or not?

it looks like duff and ensley are having a dick measuring contest instead of doing what is best for this mod. put in his update and if it sucks then fire him and have someone else fix it. this is what other mods do....

he wants to fix poison nec which is shit and you wont let him why? this community seems even worse than eastern sun but we will go back there if nothing gets fixed here

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: patch?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:29 am 

Well since he posted I will say something. I am in Germany and often have 250-300+ ping but I choose to play this mod because I have met a few nice people. I do not want to go back to ES because it is less like real Diablo and more custom.

I do find it strange that reading the history here shows there are only 1 patches every 1-2 years here and no updates. It looks like now you have a new modder who wants updates but can't access it.

There was an old mod called Nezeramontias, mostly FR/DEU players, and they did an update every month and a reset every year for 3 years. Then they stopped doing updates, and everyone quit playing because nothing was changed or fixed or added on. They tried to come back years later but it was too late. Maybe think of this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:05 am 

It looks like a lot of new players voted for the update. Maybe we need a new poll without duped votes?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:30 am 

There will be no patch for the time being. There were a couple patchs/hotfixes and two resets a couple weeks apart. The "new" players voting were just to stack the deck in favor of yet another reset. The modder while I appreciate his efforts lacks long term mod experience. There will be another patch a ways down the road, it will have some new features. The current patch, while not great, is playable.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:47 am 
Game Server Host

Syndo wrote:
It looks like a lot of new players voted for the update. Maybe we need a new poll without duped votes?

As I understand it, the duped votes were for the patch. I doubt you'll get another poll after the way the last one was handled. Blame the vote spammer.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:56 am 

kwikster I didnt say we need a reset. As Hhax said other mods did updates monthly and nobody complained. I havent seen anybody say they are against the changes except for the gambling and IIRC it got changed back. constant updates and feedback lead to the game being better. unless many people post they hate the changes then they should be put in. if people do hate the changes then you get a new modder.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:19 am 

I voted no for the update but this past week has had a big drop in players. I only saw 1 Hell game last night and it was 2 people in a passworded game so I was just playing by myself.

If a patch or reset will create some new hype then I vote yes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 am 

Timberhoffbandi wrote:
I voted no for the update but this past week has had a big drop in players. I only saw 1 Hell game last night and it was 2 people in a passworded game so I was just playing by myself.

Same. Currently the realm is pretty empty and most people already left.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:02 pm 

Riem821 wrote:
Timberhoffbandi wrote:

Same. Currently the realm is pretty empty and most people already left.

Have not noticed any difference the last weeks.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:24 pm 

Not really any different from any other reset or patch - usually 6-8 weeks into the ladder, most people have done what theyve wanted to accomplish and start to fizzle out. There is only so many times to play the game over and over until you get bored.

I don't think a patch or a reset will change the amount of players that is currently playing. The update won't change much and people who arent playing anymore wont come back for some balance fixes. A reset is discouraging at this point because it will be the 3rd reset in 2 months, people don't want to replay the same patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:51 pm 

We have done a reset every year, generally around the holidays since Soulmancer left it to us. Those that are very experienced at modding have families, jobs, etc that do not allow for much else.

Doing updates every couple of months is not a good thing in my opinion anyway. Hell, it takes a few months to get a serious patch even done in my experience. I personally do not see a reason to do a lot of updates, unless it is just fixes to what was done for the patch. Maybe doing things twice a year would be nice, but see above.

Also, it takes at least a month to find most of the bugs that are going to be in any large patch. This one is no exception. The difference was that the patch to fix it also implemented more things...and of course some it broke. This type of repetition is not good for the game, it leads to frustration for a lot of players.

There is only one person that takes care of our realm (Duffbeer). He doesn't even play the game, or at least I have not seen him in years. Yet he still updates for us, resets the servers all the bloody time, has repeatedly made the forums a cleaner place, etc. Why does he do this at all? He must care about this mod a lot, even though he has zero direct benefit.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:10 am 

This is a pointless thread. Most people would agree now that the update should be put in but Duff doesn't want to and its up to him.

Syndo wrote:

I'm not going to look like a jackass and create another poll that won't matter, but you go ahead and let me know how it goes. I already pulled off everything I had on Dropbox anyway.

I'm sorry to anyone who dislikes the current patch. I tried my best and unfortunately it took until 1.6c to get to a great patch that will never be realized. I likely won't be posting or playing HU anymore and I wish you all the best.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:16 am 

Ensley03 wrote:
This is a pointless thread. Most people would agree now that the update should be put in but Duff doesn't want to and its up to him.

Syndo wrote:

I'm not going to look like a jackass and create another poll that won't matter, but you go ahead and let me know how it goes. I already pulled off everything I had on Dropbox anyway.

I'm sorry to anyone who dislikes the current patch. I tried my best and unfortunately it took until 1.6c to get to a great patch that will never be realized. I likely won't be posting or playing HU anymore and I wish you all the best.

What is there to dislike with the current patch?

Have you listed up somewhere whats changed in 1.6c?
edit* I guess its this?
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13892

And why all the drama?

The most fun part of this is that the ones that want the 1.6c update so much prolly wont be affected by it at all, or close to wont be affected. Since its the new players.

This hole situation was handled very wrong from the begining when there was talk about an third reset in like 40-50 days?

If there would just have been the option to patch it without an reset in the start, this situation would have looked entierly different.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:04 pm 

Ensley03 wrote:

The filetree you had was very nice to have for a lot of people. Taking it down is sad to say the least.

Plenty of people are still playing. There is obviously some enjoyment to be found in the current patch.

Reminds me of what blue did when he departed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:51 pm 

That was a stressful weekend making a webpage before he could pull everything O.O

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:57 pm 

Ensley03 wrote:

Well that makes you look like a jackass. The full install you had was amazing (except for the keybinds) and allowed me to install and play the game at work, and recommend the game to people that no longer had D2, including my girlfriend and coworkers.

This patch might not be perfect but it's pretty fun to play and I've been enjoying it for the past few weeks.

Tucking tail and running is the opposite of what you should be doing. Learn to take criticism and ignore assholes. Just look at Mraw for an example.

Everyone makes mistakes, that's fine. Just learn from them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:11 am 

You say patching more often than once per year is bad, but I'm unsure as for why. I can't think of any other mods, or any game for that matter, which has success and only does an update once per year.

Perhaps resets are not needed in less time, but community feedback and hotfix updates benefit games...

Maybe it is because I'm in CET but there are many less players now than there were around 10-14 days ago. If a reset with more improvements would increase players then it should be done.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:14 am 

Hhax wrote:
You say patching more often than once per year is bad, but I'm unsure as for why. I can't think of any other mods, or any game for that matter, which has success and only does an update once per year.

Perhaps resets are not needed in less time, but community feedback and hotfix updates benefit games...

Maybe it is because I'm in CET but there are many less players now than there were around 10-14 days ago. If a reset with more improvements would increase players then it should be done.

It wont :)

Yup, always way less games around the clock right now, I am from EU and the clock is 12:13 in the evening now. Always few games up then.

But later in the day there is always way more games up for me atleast.
Or people online.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:19 am 

Hhax wrote:

The main reason is quality. Doing anything major on such a short time scale is just bound to be problematic, with a never ending cycle of messupedness.
Also note that we patch have patched this mod more often that blizz has patched the original. I think that game did pretty well for itself.

Along with this, more robust patches don't get made overnight. It takes a lot of time to get it all right...and there are so many bloody ways to screw something up.

Hell, in one patch I recall Brevan restructuring a slew of files just so that syntax is more clear, stable, nonredundant, etc...how long do you think this alone took to do? This wasn't even 'called for' in that patch. It was done to mitigate the number of mistakes made (or left as artifacts from previous iterations)...this is but one tiny example.

Another is continuity. Each of the major patches since 1.3 has been a pretty big shift in design. This is for several reasons, including but not limited to 1)who is doing the patch, 2) what were the feelings about the last one, 3) what is being added that simply did not exist before, etc.

Lastly, many of us do not get to play like we did when we were younger. It takes me a lot longer to progress than before, simply due to time. Even then, I never was a fan of a lot of resets. I actually wanted to accumulate several characters worth of fancy gear.
I also like to explore many classes in a said patch in detail. This simply is not possible if the bar never stays still.

You may not agree with any of this, but there are many reasons why 2-3 month resets are not as great as they sound...at least to me

Edit: here are the dates of LoD patches.
Patch 1.09, released August 20, 2001.
Patch 1.09b, released September 5, 2001 (to fix connectionbug)
Patch 1.09c, released November 14, 2001. (to fix duping methods that were crashing servers, and fix HPT RAID drivers)
Patch 1.09d, released December 5, 2001 (connection bugs, and other bugs)
Patch 1.10, released October 28, 2003 (intro of Dclone world event). note more than 2 years passed from 1.09 to 1.10
Patch 1.11, released August 13, 2005 (intro of uber tristram)...another nearly two years
Patch 1.11b, released September 13, 2005 (two crash fixes)
Patch 1.12, released June 17, 2008 (lifted cd requirement, and essentially nothing else...almost 3 years
Patch 1.13 was released for Diablo II March 23, 2010. (respec, and totally screwed up changes to moncurse to make chaos sanctuary a joke..some other things too, but this is where I simply stopped playing LoD at all).
Patch 1.13d, released 27 October 2011. (message filtering to help users combat spam)

To many, the reason they will play a game adnaseum is because the replayability is very high...with zero other changes. This is the hallmark of finding fun the first time so to speak. Having to incessantly update cater to a following to not applicable to every game....nor is a single person getting paid to do a damn thing.

Maybe if the last part were to change, so would the patch rate.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:57 pm 

The main reason I don't play on the realm is due to the resets. I play D2 pretty sporadically, and have actually put it on the back burner for the time being.

If I could come back at any time and play a realm character, it would go a long way towards keeping me, and most likely others, on the realm when they -do- choose to play.

What the verdict on ladder play? With being able to either make a ladder or non-ladder character, and the ladder characters merging into non-ladder at the end?

If the non-ladder characters were never deleted, that'd be awesome.

I suppose however I almost forgot a large reason for resets: When a new patch requires one.

It'd be nice if there were a way to implement the new patches without wipes. If we had that in conjunction with non-ladder characters never being wiped, that'd be pretty win/win.

My apologies if my suggestion is utterly impossible under the current framework, or has already been discussed ad nauseam.

Offline Profile