Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Post subject: HU v1.6 feedback
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:21 am 

For most players unhappy for how easy things are, it's worth keeping in mind that most players are still in Normal, which is supposed to be pretty easy. With the changes to Immunities, I'd expect NM and Hell to be easier than previous HU versions. Since things are easier, you'll be able to start and finish a character build relatively quickly. Consider making a couple characters (some builds you haven't tried before, since those are supposed to be more viable now), get them to NM or all the way through Hell, and try to determine exactly how much harder things should be for you to enjoy playing another character.

If you can describe the changes you'd like using numbers, then those changes can be made for the next version of HU. For example, how many hits should an AoE skill like Fireball or FireStorm need to kill monsters in Normal, NM, and Hell? How many hits for a single target skill like FireBolt or Berzerk? How many hits should a tanky Barbarian survive before falling to Fallen? How many hits for a fragile Sorc to be butchered by Baal? If an average monster dies to three FireBolts, then should a resistant monster need six or ten? If people agree with an average of the numbers being suggested, then an excellent version of D2/HU can be created. I'd really like to hear people's opinions on these ideas.

When D2 stops changing, then it's dead, but as long as it's changing then you can find some enjoyment among the versions. Since I've read some people having trouble with the difficulty of recent HU versions, it looks like an easier version is appropriate. It is unfortunate if 1.6 turns out to be imbalanced to a point where everyone is playing only a handful of builds, but even that would provide some information for future adjustments.

I've always been fond of the idea where the HU community has at least two versions of HU. One version would be played while the other versions are modified to be harder or easier (depending on feedback like I requested above). Maybe each version could be played for a year or roughly long enough for people to have tried a dozen builds that they enjoy.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: HU v1.6 feedback
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:38 am 
Game Server Host

Also spend time trying strange/off the wall builds, proc builds, oskill builds etc. etc. while the difficulty is at a point where those types of builds are viable. Experiment a bit and find fun ways to go through the game that can be worked on in the future.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:35 pm 

Keep in mind the feedback may sound like the public is bitching but honestly people are super excited about the new patch and are expressing their mostly true opinions. When people are passionate sometimes it may come out wrong.

We all appreciate the patch. We are wanting to provide feedback to improve it although we may be sucking at it by just saying this is OP ahhh ruined patch.

Thanks for starting this thread Brevan.

I think the one easiest thing to point out is when balancing in the future... DR/MDR the flat bonus... is extremely powerful early on.. it's also more powerful as the bosses were designed to do multiple instances of smaller dmg instead of the old huge blast of dmg that dominated everyone. This is why certain bosses are able to be tanked with no absorb currently.

Also be sensitive with adding resistances to everything especially MR and DR%s.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:50 pm 

hunterAS wrote:
Keep in mind the feedback may sound like the public is bitching but honestly people are super excited about the new patch and are expressing their mostly true opinions. When people are passionate sometimes it may come out wrong.

We all appreciate the patch. We are wanting to provide feedback to improve it although we may be sucking at it by just saying this is OP ahhh ruined patch.

Thanks for starting this thread Brevan.

Thanks for saying this - i am very happy this HU has lasted this long and the hard work thats been put in by everyone, and am happy there was a reset and people playing again. Its great to see the reall being full again. And thanks einsley who put together 1.6 and was able to do all of this and get the game up and going again. I guess i didnt expect any unique changes besides the 5 added ones, and it really threw me off guard. None of that was mentioned anywhere that i read.

With that said, a few things i didnt like besides the mass OP items (id wear bladebuckle for life yo) was all of the curse immunity items, and that being introduced to charms.
Keep in mind i am not playing this patch so all of this i just happened to see when i logged on for an hour.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:32 pm 

Item - I'll update as i find

Baezils Vortex - lvl 56 knout
13-36 dmg (seems a little low for a 56 flail ;))

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:46 pm 

Ill trade you a 1.6b baezils for a 1.6a baezils

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:12 pm 

We are very likely having a reset tomorrow to fix all these issues. I've spent most all of today going over everything. Many nerfs.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:02 pm 

just to be clear, is that a server wipe again tomorrow or just a server down/update?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:04 pm 

Ensley03 wrote:
We are very likely having a reset tomorrow to fix all these issues. I've spent most all of today going over everything. Many nerfs.

Resetting so early...? That may be a mistake. Yeah there are bugs here and there, and issues with items, but literally at this moment, only Dan and myself are in hell. There's no way to know what other items and issues there will be. If you reset 3-4 days after a reset without giving players time to find things, you will just end up doing ANOTHER reset in 1-2 weeks when/if more things come up. Just my 2 cents.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm 

^ this... a reset is definitely not good :) play the patch for a few weeks then we would be good for a reset once we iron everything out.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:10 pm 

That is true Nova but I have a headache from actually reading every item in the whole game today to make sure this is done right. I think it's best to just wipe it before anyone is too invested, and then gets more upset. I don't think there's anything left to find because I've been doing this *all day*.

Besides, how can anyone honestly play with a broken Baezil's Vortex? :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:17 pm 

the a1 mercs only seem to die to poison damage. i've seen them tank every other boss thats come before them. other mercs may also be unkillable, not sure what exactly changed.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:27 pm 

resetting over and over is a bad idea imo . you can do it after a month and maybe look for more stuff to fix first?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:27 pm 
Site Admin

I think like most of the players here that resetting that early is bad. You need more feedback from players so you can fix even more things before another reset. As I said before to Ensley, I don't want to reset the realm over and over again for each patch that has to be done.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:50 pm 

Pious wrote:
the a1 mercs only seem to die to poison damage. I've seen them tank every other boss that's come before them. other mercs may also be unkillable, not sure what exactly changed.
I've found the issue with A1 mercs, and have told Ensley and PureRage. The problem was a typo in some DR/MDR (thus poison affected them) from a hidden aura (range 0) skill. I did a quick check of the other mercs, and they should be alright since most of the effects of their hidden auras do not appear to have changed much from v1.5.

If anyone's curious, generally the auras just give them some enhanced damage and defense, and critical strike, all based on their level. The A3 mercs got some ReplenishLife.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:46 pm 

Some assclown since 1.41 put in a stupid damage reduction for a1 mercs. It has all been fixed and their "auras" have all been tweaked. Thanks for the help Brevan. :D

So all items and mercs have been fixed and are good to go. If the community wants to ride out this current version for a week or 2, I guess that's fine, I don't really see why, but power to the people.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:33 am 

It needs to wait a bit in my opinion.
Large patches inevitably have snafoos.
The first round of fixits is not going to get everything. We that have modded previous patches know this firsthand. It's not poopin on ya, it's just saying i've been in your shoes'. And the best thing to do is to let people find the issues before prematurely resetting.
We probably will only get one more for 1.6, and we need to use it wisely.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:33 am 

I don't know if this is the right spot for this but I got this error tonight. It was after I tried to identify a set ring in the cold plains:

Assertion Failure
Expression: ptUnit

Now whenever I try to join a game with that character it gives me that error and crashes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:44 am 

chaosofslayer wrote:
I don't know if this is the right spot for this but I got this error tonight. It was after I tried to identify a set ring in the cold plains:

Assertion Failure
Expression: ptUnit

Now whenever I try to join a game with that character it gives me that error and crashes.

You musta done something wrong. You have another mod installed or part of it, you're trying to run off something other than HU/D2SE, you're trying to use outside programs (not necessarily bad ones), or your original D2 installation is geeked out. Make sure you have 1.10, and the 1.6 patch_d2 on top of the 1.5a files

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:56 am 

chaosofslayer wrote:
I don't know if this is the right spot for this but I got this error tonight. ...
Searching the forum found a related result from last year that was solved in this thread. Good luck.

That aside, I've made a program that generates a webpage showing the differences between the unique items of two versions of D2, There's a little more info here. If I receive the newest uniqueitems.txt file, then I could produce another webpage for the community to discuss.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:33 pm 
Game Server Host

I'm holding off on packing and uploading the next patch for a couple of days anyway. Use the followup time to test test test. Nerf yourself if you have to until you find what feels like a good balance of stats for your level, then post stats. etc. etc.

Do whatever you can to get this right because as Kramuti says, the next 1.6 version will likely be the final version to go live for the next yearish.

Call it a live test.

Offline Profile