Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:40 am

Post subject: Spam in the forums
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:34 pm 

Since I have not been able to visit HU in quite awhile, spam has overtaken the upper block of the forums. I have deleted over 40 pgs in General Discussion alone., and am only 1/3 of the way through it. I have also banned numerous offenders. However, this does nothing in the long run. I (almost single handedly) cleared this shit for several years upon obtaining modding privileges. I doubt I will have the time to do it again.

This last batch of spam seems to have been done essentially since Christmas. 3 people fillled over 40 pgs in 4 days. I can't complete, nor will I bother.

I don't get to play this mod due original disc finally meeting its end, and never did get d2se to work coming from a digital download. This means that you are on your own from here on forward in this regard, unless by some miracle I can actually get it to work again.

Note, i will make an effort to finish clearing things over the next few days...I see that only a few GenDisc posts are even legit in the data base...like 10 or so posts in total? did these get wiped by someone since my last visit? Otherwise i will just close my eyes and hit 'mark all', delete, submit, about 70 more times.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Spam in the forums
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:02 pm 

The General Discussion forum seems to be hit the most by spam bots, perhaps since it's the first forum. It might be worth simply ignoring posts in that forum since so few people use it.

Considering the issue from a different direction, I noticed that if you search for posts by author (you might have to select "show topic" rather than "show post"), there is a blank column on the left side that for a moderator might have a check-box that allows you to select everything by author, rather than page. If that's the case then it might make bot-cleanup a bit easier.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:49 pm 

The forums are clean of spam for the moment. Not sure how long it will last. Enjoy.
It seems that there may have been an overflow in GenDisc, or somebody else wiped a number of posts. Either way, it's done!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:27 pm 
Game Server Host

I cleared a load yesterday morning before I had to head out. I left Gen Disc alone because it looked like most of it was being dumped in there (126+ pages i think). I cleared most from the more used boards.

I also sent a PM to Duff to see if we can get an option to delete all posts and topics by a user in 1 go.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:20 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
I also sent a PM to Duff to see if we can get an option to delete all posts and topics by a user in 1 go.

I'll be crossing my fingers. I gave up long ago clearing spam by individual posts/topics. I still visit these forums weekly just to see what's up and would actually delete some spam if this was an option. You guys are saints for doing it this long under the current restrictions(especially kramuti the spam crusader). Closing registration is probably a decent option too considering how few new folks come around here.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:16 pm 
Game Server Host

Duff said 1 click ban was meant to delete all posts, not sure why it's not working, but he's gonna purge the bot accounts soon or something.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

It's done already, purged almost 35k fake accounts... and I did an update on the captcha plugin, using the latest version now which should be more effective to prevent bots from registering.

Offline Profile