Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

Post subject: Melee balancing submissions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:20 pm 
Game Server Host

Take the files, make YOUR adjustments (Not what everyone else wants... What you want). When you are done, post it here with a changelog for people to test/play with.
This thread isn't for discussions about what is and isn't right. Submissions/Proposals only so we dont have 500 posts and a handfull of submissions burried in 20 ages of flames.
If you want to leave feedback on a submission then make a new feedback thread for it.

Theres lots of time to do this so there should be no excuse for not doing it thoroughly this time. Actions speak louder than words, so lets stop talking about it and just do it already.
Anyone who don't help out with testing etc. has no right to make any posts later down the line regarding melee balance...

Files you'll likely need to adjust:
Skills.txt
skillDesc.txt
Monstats.txt
UniqueItems.txt
Weapons.txt (Str bonus etc)

NO changing someone elses submission and reposting it unless you are working together on it and the creator says so (feel free to use my stuff as you need it as i'm not continuing with it). 1 person making the changes so everyone is on the same page (each submission should have 1 person making the changes/keeping track) and conflicting changes don't go through (see 1.3a when the right hand spent a long time adjusting fire druid synergies only to have the left hand add fire mastery Oskill into the game...).

GO!

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Melee balancing submissions
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:45 pm 

if people want to put together a change log i can make the test patches and i can also keep track of whats been tweaked after tests IM NOT MAKING ANY DECISIONS THOUGH I WILL JUST DO THE WORK (im no ring leader)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:50 pm 
Game Server Host

MK1
done
not done yet

bosses additional phys res from boss caps removed
all monster def cut in half
decrepify phys pierce removed (player only)
amp switched to flat additional damage and lower enemy def (player only)
Added small AoE effect to throwing knives (AoE deals 3/4 weap damage instead of 100%)
suggested change to vengance included

do away with player lifetap

Someone could do me a favor and take a look at amp. It's a fucking nightmare to work with and a lot of the calcs i tried refused to work (probs due to the hardcoded stuff surrounding amp and the "cursed" version using the same line).
First, I wanted monsters who cast it via proc or moncurse to have regular amp (using current pierce progression)
Second, I don't want them getting the PDR debuff side of it or low life chars get completely shafted by it.

Heres the calcs I'm using:
Damage Resist: (-dm56)+((stat('energy'.base>0)?(dm56):0)
PDR: (-clc2)+((stat('energy'.base)>0)?(0):(clc2))

Starting with the damage resist one, that calc there has a missing ")" as you probs noticed, after the first ".base"
If I add the ")" there, the state isn't applied to anything (fucking hardcoded piece of shit skill)
As long as it's removed, it functions right though so we'll leave it there for now.
The formula says:
reduce enemy phys res by deminishing par5 to par6, then add deminishing par5 to par6 back on IF the casters base energy is greater than 0 (Ie. if its a player). If its a monster, (0 base energy) then don't cancel the dm56 out.
This works fine, but maybe someone can clean it up a bit (a regular conditional formula caused the state to not be applied too so I had to use the -XXX then +XXX if its a player instead)

Next the PDR calc (this gives enemies negative PDR that adds a flat amount of additional damage per phys hit)
PDR: (-clc2)+((stat('energy'.base)>0)?(0):(clc2))
Note: clc2 = (3*(blvl*blvl))+(lvl*5)
The formula says:
reduce enemy PDR by calc2, then add calc 2 back on IF the caster is a monster (hasn't got more than 0 base energy)
If the caster is a player, then reduce enemy PDR by calc2.
This works fine.
additional damage per phys strike = (3*(blvl*blvl))+(lvl*5)
blvl= hard point
lvl = soft point
hard lvl 1 = 8 additional dmg
hard lvl 2 = 22 additional dmg
hard lvl 3 = 40 additional dmg
hard lvl 4 = 68 additional dmg
hard lvl 5 = 100 additional dmg
hard lvl 10 = 350 additional dmg
hard lvl 15 = 750 additional dmg
hard lvl 20 = 1300 additional dmg
each additional soft point grants another +5 dmg taken
Numbers aint finalised on that either, feel free to work on a better curve, but i'd stay around 1500-2000 additional damage per hit when maxed (10 skeles striking for an additional 1.5k each is 15k damage per swing and a melee at 5fpa gets an additional 7.5k per sec and thats a sygnificant buff with reduced boss resists

It also reduces enemy def by dm56 to help skeles land a hit

That's my contribution, I'll have a think about lifetap another time

Edit: ffs, thats got the suggested changes to vengance to, and all clientside edits etc. It's best if you copy the lines from skills.txt over onto clean files cos mine have been edited to death already for clientside stuff and testing purposes.

Attachments:
Melee stuffs MK1.rar [239.81 KiB]
Downloaded 623 times

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:16 am 

my change log

Kev's vengeance added
Throwing knives release a knive nova on hit (releases 8 knives that do 3/4 dmg)
Gore Riders 5% chance to cast lvl 5 amp
Passive ar bonus on blessed aim changed to work with soft points like leech
Boss hats physical resist reduced by 10
Barbarians bash has small area of effect

data.zip

Edit: eh kev beat me too it

Did you try just cloning amp for the necro and leaving the existing one there. I believe this has been done for other curses hasn't it?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:29 am 
Game Server Host

yeh but then wands with +x amp (necro only) will act like lifetap/IM wands do atm and i'd like to avoid that and maybe fix that issue with tap/IM too eventually.

I can edit d2game.dll so the moncurse curses are picked from diff lines in skills.txt if you like, or just post the required edits for it if someone else wants too. Amp will have to stay whare it is for the "cursed" monumod unless someone knows what section tells that mod what line to use from skills.txt.

Edit:
Moncurse list pointer:
Code:
Moncurse Table:
############################################
F97A0  42 00 00 00 Amp
F97A4  48 00 00 00 Weaken
F97A8  4C 00 00 00 IM
F97AC  52 00 00 00 Life Tap
F97B0  57 00 00 00 Decrepify
F97B4  5B 00 00 00 Lower Resist
############################################

just gotta use the skill HCIDx, convert it to hexidecimal and change those bytes.
Ie, if monster IM was moved to row 500 (1F4 in hex) you would change
F97A8 4C 00 00 00 IM
to
F97A8 F4 01 00 00 IM
(bytes are reversed)

You can make those changes with XVI32, very easy edit. Just click select the byte and change the entry.
The first 5 digits are the starting cell number.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:23 am 
Game Server Host

Ok, you can move the player lifetap/IM back to the correct positions for next reset (don't move them without a reset as the skill ID's are saved with the char so it would mess up existing necro's skills)
You are free to adjust the moncurse/aura enchanted skills though.
Check the moncurse/aura topic for the D2Game.dll and the skills.txt (just need to copy the 14 new lines over to a clean skills.txt.)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:08 am 

that moncurse table isn't really what you're looking for. It's more a states ID pointer, most of curses use hardcoded formulas read from hardcoded pars.
For example moncurse ironmaiden won't be returning ranged dmg(players IM returns btw... shame can't work with amplify) and monlower res will lower even magic.

to change a specific curse just give a fallen shaman moncurse, set pointers in olly, trace numbers it gets values from... and simply change them. that's how monamp was nerfed :). Unless I'm mistaken and you really can change entire curse with that table (I changed amp to weaken id and still I had -100%phys res).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:04 am 

my thoughts on melee fix:
I like Kevs changes, but I would do:
extra dmg on hit instead on lifetap instead of amp
and change amp to a offensive curse that deals fire dmg (is this possible?)
(only talking about the animation they use)
and some other stuff like lowering pierce values for elemental skills by 1/3 the numbers of possible pierce are rediculous and are 1 of the factors that make casters OP...

Offline Profile