Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Post subject: Removing animations of skills that cause low fps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:27 am 

Can anyone give a quick TL;DR of how to do this? Im guessing its a pretty simple matter of putting some values to 0 or deleting some fields in skills.txt? cltmissile?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Removing animations of skills that cause low fps
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:02 am 

The missiles are often the thing that carries both the damage of a skill and the animations, so skills.txt isn't as important as Missiles.txt. In Missiles.txt, there are several fields for animations. I'd recommend using the PhrozenKeep File Guides to get a better understanding of things, at least reviewing the guide for Missiles.txt. If you don't like reading, then modding might not be for you.

"CelFile" field can be changed to remove part of the animation, but I don't know if deleting the entry would work, that isn't done in other parts of the file where missiles have no animation, so when you make a change it's fastest to read other parts of the file to see how changes were made in the past.

Also check the appended missiles columns of the row, since some of those are purely for adding extra graphics. I know deleting these will in some cases break the skill, but there are no-graphics options to fill in.

It's a good idea to test after each change or small set of changes, so you know what broke things.

When you run D2, a text file named something like "DebugLogYYY-MM-DD.txt" is created that might help you out. Jump to the line where D2 is reading missiles.txt, and if the next line has stuff like, "line XX, field Y is missing", then that's about as kind as D2 will ever be for telling you where someone made a mistake.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Removing animations of skills that cause low fps
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:04 pm 

Thanks. I guess the fastest way would be to look at the clientside edits here and compare them to the original but I'd have to find the originals...

Offline Profile