Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 am

Post subject: General modding questions answered
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:54 pm 
Game Server Host

Rather than ask questions individually via PM, post them here. That's what this forum is for. I've started answering the same qustions 2-3 times via PM for diff people when the info should be listed here.
Keeping questions public means we only need to answer each question once so I'll post PM'd questions here from now on.

Questions already answered by PM:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ensley03 wrote:
I'm kind of confused, you are saying Amp only affects the DR% bonus the boss has, and if the bosses DR% exceeds the Amp amount, the Amp does nothing? That would mean that a necro with 71% amp would still do nothing. There's no way that's the case. How do you figure a 71% Amp doesn't just drop the DR from 75% to 4%?

Looking at the 1.5 files, many of the bosses in hell have 75+ DR in monstats but the hats only say 1% DR

1.6 says the bosses all have 50-75+ DR in all difficulties and the hats say 70% DR

How does the monstat DR and the bosscap DR work together?

PureRage-DoD wrote:
In your example:
Quote:
There's no way that's the case. How do you figure a 71% Amp doesn't just drop the DR from 75% to 4%?

You are forgetting the 70% DR on the hat, so it is dropped to 4%, but the hat still has 70% on it so the result is 74% DR (DR is just physical resistance stat), so 71% amp reduces the bosses total phys res by 1%

It was discovered before 1.21z when bosses would take no damage from phys even though the boss only had 80% phys res in monstats. The 40-50% on the hats forces an immunity (not displayed on the client as d2client.dll is not aware of the existance of those hats). Once hit with a 60% amp, the boss would drop to 20% res + the 40-50% from the hat, resulting in 60-70% res so phys damage functioned again.

The amp is working, but as it's not dropping the boss below the res cap (75%) there is essentially no effect until you reach 71%.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ensley03 wrote:
Could you tell me what you have to do to make it so if you put a point in a specific skill, certain other skill(s) no longer work?

PureRage-DoD wrote:
To lock out skills you should use a calc in the SKPoints column.

Ensley03 wrote:
Where are the skill descriptions to edit???

I see for example, Firebolt says it uses "skillsd36" but I don't see any of these skillsd strings in either of the 3 tbl files.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
It's there in all the editors, I have. Don't search for the string name, rather, the text contained in the string.

Ensley03 wrote:
Is "Trans" the setting that makes them [missiles] trigger procs?

PureRage-DoD wrote:
No, trans is to make the missile transparent or not. It's returnfire that triggers a proc.

Ensley03 wrote:
Is there any way you can briefly explain how to edit specific bosses/items/etc for your new SP version? Do you need any special programs or anything to read the files and which ones are they? If it matters I use d2se and I do have a legit key.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
The SP version is just the existing game with a code edit to restrict the resistances. Best place to start will be home made section. There's threads there that explain how to extract the .txt files you need

For bosses, you want monstats.txt and superuniques.txt

For items you want weapons.txt, armor.txt, uniqueitems.txt, runes.txt, misc.txt, itemtypes.txt.

There should be links to good tools to use too like winmpq for extracting files from the patch, d2excel spreadsheet editor for .txt file editing, etc. etc.

Ensley03 wrote:
This is beyond retarded, I can't find the set items, and I cannot get them to save AT ALL. the only way I know how to test is to just gamble rings/amulets to see if they are updated when I get one and they aren't. I have it checked for -direct -txt on d2se when i start. I have no idea how else to update the bin files, and the txt files stats are not being implemented.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
sets.txt and setitems.txt are the 2 you need. sets.txt controls set bonuses, setitems.txt controls the stats on each item. Make sure you extract those both from the patch_d2.mpq

For testing, the easiest way is to open cubemain.txt and create a new row at the bottom of the file. have the recipe use 1 input and input1 column set to hpot, output would be the item you want to check. Set all the lvl columns to 99. That should make it so 1 health pot in cube = the item you want to check.

As far as saving goes, I'm not sure what's up with that. As long as you are opening with d2excel and saving with that once you are done it should work. To make sure all the .bin files are being compiled correctly, be sure to delete them all from data/global/excel before you run the game. If new .bins are produced when you enter a game then they are being compiled and the problem must be something else.

Ensley03 wrote:
I can't get the cube tester to work. I input "hpot,qty=3" and output the item's name spelled correctly, and put 99 99 99 on the lvl plvl ilvl and also tried putting 0 in the *eol at the end but that didn't work either.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
did you set the numinputs column to 3? it has to be = the number of inputs used for the recipe (3 in that case)

Ensley03 wrote:
How do I rename an item or create a new one and have it save the name? It saves the stats but it says the name of the item is "an evil force"

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Grab a .tbl editor and add the entry to one of the 3 .tbl files in data/local/lng/eng.

Say you have an item in uniqueitems.txt called Goring Blade, you would add an entry to the .tbl file, called Goring Blade and the entry would also be Goring Blade.

Ensley03 wrote:
Duff doesn't seem to think the data folder is needed for the new update, just the mpq, but I'm not sure how it can work without the data folder for the new strings you and mraw made starting with 1.5b. I've got it working with no -direct or -txt, just using the default 1.5a download files with the new mpq and data. If I don't have the data folder inside the HU folder, it just crashes.

Duff also said we need a full and lite version. If you could help with how to remove the music for a lite version that would be great, and also this data folder business.

PureRage-DoD wrote:
You need to pack the data folder into the .mpq.

Using winmpq:

1: start winmpq
2: click open and select patch_D2.mpq
3: click add folder and navigate to your HU folder and select the data folder (just highlight it)
4: a box called folder name will pop up. Type data\ there and hit enter to pack the mpq.

Note2: make sure you use a \ and not a /.
data\

for a music version and non music version:

you will need to download both the full and lite patch.

For lite, copy the sounds.txt and soundenviron.txt into your data folder from the old lite version. run the game once to generate new .bin files.

Pack that data folder into the "Lite" patch_D2.mpq

---------------------------------------------------

For Full, copy the sounds.txt and soundenviron.txt into your data folder from the old full version. run the game once to generate new .bin files.

Pack that data folder into the "Full" patch_D2.mpq

The lite version can be used for the hosts.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: General modding questions answered
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:09 am 

Hey there,

Could you make a small step-by-step guide about modifying existing runewords and creating new ones? Could you please briefly go from decompilation to recompilation? It would help a lot, thank you :)

Cheers

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:38 am 

Get mpq editor. open the patch mpq. Go tot he runeword file, open with a program like Excel (very dangerous due to how it saves...will make typos if it doesn't understand what is in a cell) or D2text editor (something like that).
make a shortcut, and change the properties to -direct -txt so it will read your changes.

Or look at the Phrozen Keep...they have a massive database about this kinda stuff!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:17 pm 

Ok, so I did the following:

1. Opened Patch_D2.mpq and extracted the Runes.txt and the corresponding patchstring.tbl.
2. Added a new runeword and changed Delirium (for testing purposes).
3. Added the new runeword to the patchstring.tbl.
4. Recompiled both files into the MPQ.

Yet when I enter the game, Delirium remains the old one - LemIstIo - instead of my new one (I changed the initial rune to EL instead of LEM) and the new runeword (made ElElEl - helm) does not work.

-direct and -txt have been added from the very beginning, so that is not the issue. What am I doing wrong?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:44 pm 

if you want it to read off of a new text file, you should not recompile it in the patch file itself.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:28 pm 

Yes, I figured it out and rockin' by now... thank you for your help anyway :) cheers, warriors :D

Offline Profile