Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:19 am

Post subject: Torchlight 2: Soul Spectrum Project
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

I have retired from the Diablo 2 modding scene and have been looking towards future projects; with the release of Torchlight 2 this spring I hope to start my next dedicated mod project soon.

The more I learn about TL2 the more excited I become regarding the opportunity for developing user created content; something I didn't get into with TL1 due to single player limitations. I worked on HU on and off for 5 years and invested countless hours; always trying to learn more and expand, grow and improve upon it due to the ongoing support of the HU community.

This was an learning experience. I wanted to push the boundaries of Diablo 2 to it's limits and in that I was successful thanks to the support of the community. Hell Unleashed surpassed my original vision and I have concluded my work on it.

I had eagerly been awaiting Diablo 3; but my excitement has tapered off with Blizzard's announcement of no modding support, no change in server policy and no method of playing multiplayer outside of official battle.net 2.0...

But Torchlight 2 has been an unexpected surprise and I've been waiting a long time to develop a sort of "successor" to Hell Unleashed in a way; using some of the same concepts while applying new ones. So when TL2 is released I intend to turn my focus to this new project and I hopefully won't be on my own this time starting out as there quite a few talented individuals within and the HU and TL2 communities that I hope will assist me... I have great ambitions for Torchlight 2 and the work load of this project will be more substantial than Hell Unleashed; I have been developing a lot of concept work and if everything works out I have no doubt that I will be able surpass what was accomplished in Hell Unleashed; but that's largely depend on my motivation, the HU community, TL2 community, and Runic Games. I will gladly push TL2 to it's limits to offer an epic and unique co-op and single player experience.

So hopefully I'll have your support and interest in this project when the time comes; I'll surely be needing some help. As for what you can expect? Well let's wait for TL2 first! ;) I intend to play through the game in it's entirety before I even touch the modding aspect. I am very excited for what the developers have in store for us!

For those of you who don't know what Torchlight 2 is; it's the sequel to Torchlight, a game that came out about two years ago and was created by the original people behind Diablo. It was a single player simplistic yet highly polished Diablo style game with a powerful world editor that allowed for very flexible and powerful mods. Torchlight was such a hit that Runic Games put off their planned MMORPG to develop an ambitious sequel that will improve and expand upon all aspects of Torchlight; they are also releasing an update and improved version of the world editor (TorchED 2) An editor more powerful, flexible and user friendly then the original TorchED editor; furthermore Runic hopes to release server software that will allow you to legally run private multiplayer modded servers. The potential with what can be done with Torchlight 2 multiplayer modding far surpasses what is possible with D2 and likely D3.

This TL2 project will certainly be an ongoing, evolving and adapting one. I plan to apply some concepts of HU and try out plenty of new ones; as the TL2 modding potential is far more flexible and powerful than D2 so it'll be curious to see how certain concepts can be implement and expanded; D2 modding has had 6-7 years to grow so there was a vast resource and knowledge base... We'd also be reaching to a wider audience as HU was very focused toward a very challenging and punishing PvE multiplayer experience. That'll certainly exist, but PvP and casual players is also a focus of this project. It's really kind of an open ended vision right now with a lot of concepts on the table and that'll no doubt evolve as time goes on and we learn more; so we'll see what happens once TL2 and the editor are released!

I'll need help in quite a few aspects, as this is not a project I can handle on my own; servers, forum, website, scripting, map development, in game content, balancing, testing and so forth. If you are truly serious about helping with this project I suggest doing research on Torchlight 2 http://www.torchlight2game.com/ as well taking a look at Torchlight http://www.torchlightgame.com/ and TorchED (The Torchlight world editor) As TorchED 2 will share a lot in common with it's predecessor.

I hope I have your attention now!

Thanks,
Soulmancer

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Torchlight 2: Soul Spectrum Project
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:26 pm 

With your experience in UO, I can't wait to see what you will do with the PvP for torchlight. I haven't enjoyed a proper PvP system since UO and can't wait for this new game.

This sounds exciting, and hopefully the game won't be delayed to far past the spring.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:04 pm 

Is there anyway you can hook a brother up with the single player beta?? :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:25 pm 

stars wrote:
Is there anyway you can hook a brother up with the single player beta?? :)

You can download a 2 hour pc demo for TL1 here http://www.torchlightgame.com/ :)

@Soulmancer I am looking forward to seeing and trying out your mod for TL2, I have played TL1 and I can't wait for TL2's release :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

Also this is something I will be needing help with from the HU community; I am hoping their will be enough interest especially in the wake of Blizzard's latest revelation on Diablo 3.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:08 pm 
Game Server Host

I'd be interested in working on a TL2 project. D3 has completely lost my interest.

Would be good to get a discussion going about planned features and content/storyline.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:11 pm 
Site Admin

The game will be out sometime this fall; gonna play through it and see everything we have to work with; TorchED 2 should also be pretty awesome.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like the game will be releasing around June; the toolset will be released soon after I believe... Seems Runic has invested more time with TL2 then originally stated

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:24 am 

So great news surrounding the game. It's developed on the same game engine they had from TL1 which means the game will run on our crappy old laptops we use for D2.

Looks like they're going to release the game 1-1.5 months after D2. The game is finished and they're just polishing it until release. Oh and the game is only going to be $20!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:06 pm 

Soulmancer wrote:
Looks like the game will be releasing around June; the toolset will be released soon after I believe... Seems Runic has invested more time with TL2 then originally stated

saw your post about third party assets on the runic forums. Will you be in need of some one to create new skins for bosses and new graphics for skills?
New skill graphics I can already do but I am willing to learn how to do the rest of the graphical editing if you need it. Ofc I would love to help in any other needed aspects. :D

Also some one has already released a tool that allows you to give the graphics a darker feel if your looking for that

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 am 

With the release date on the september 20th, I was just wondering if this project still on?

Offline Profile