Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

Post subject: HC Newcomers Strategy
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:46 am 
Game Server Host

With many SC players deciding to try out HC its probs a good idea to put some starter strategys and ways to avoid deaths.

When you start out buy some javelins get 10 base str, dex and energy (having to mana to use skills is a real pain). Kill everything in the blood moor and finish the den. After this you should be level 6, opening up some of the more usefull skills.fill up on life/mana potions and do some gambling to get some decent equipment. Clear every area for maximum exp gain per area.

Pick up any rejuv you find, stash extras in your cube. once you start to get too full, make a mule to keep spare rejuvs for bosses.

Never go into a boss fight without enough potions. If you are a ranged/support build, make use of the extra space between you and the boss and stay on the move to avoid incoming spells. This will save potions that can be passed on to the tank if required.

Avoid playing a tank class if it is your first time on HC. It's better if the team has no player tank than one who isn't prepared/experienced with a tank build. Having the tank run at a boss, take huge damage, then retreat and leave the party open to attack is more of a hinderance than a help.

Dont underestimate anything. A high level sorc/zon etc can be killed very quickly if using mass counter causing skills even in normal, (guided arrow, charged bolt, Frozen orb etc.)

Plan your battles and make sure every team member understands the role they will play. Even if a boss is immune to a member, that player can still play an important role. Attracting bosses, dropping pots, using weaker skills to do damage and stop a boss from healing (eg, cold sorc using TK on cold immunes to prevent them haling while others regroup)

Try to avoid Save and Exit. It is a failing strategy. It may save you sometimes, but chances are, eventualy it will cause you to die, exit and lose all your gear. I find that if things get hairy, falling back quickly to seperate groups of enemys while drinking juvs is a much more effective strategy. If your constantly exiting the game when something hits you a few times, other people wont like it and will avoid you.
There are times when you have to use it, (if your trapped in a mob, cant move and have no pots) but try not to make a habit of doing it whenever you take a hit or two.

Don't hide off screen for bosses your party will hate you. Try to keep the boss in view so you can see whats going on and help the team. Keep curses up at all times if you are playing a necro, you don't even have to attack, as long as you are cursing, you are helping.

Back to Pots. Always carry rejuvs with you, at least 2 belt rows. I always have a full belt but some like to have a row of heal pots and a row of manas. (low level sorcs will need mana obviously, at least intill they get an insight merc).

Plan ahead gear wise. You obviously want as much in vitality as you can get. I'm not a fan of needing mass strength charms just to equip. I prefer the room for life charms or skill charms etc. So I always make sure i have enough strength for upcoming gear options.

As far as player roles go, it depends on the situation. All paladins should have a point in the resist auras. Against high elemental damage bosses, resist auras are the way to go. Absorbs make the boss alot more managable and less hectic.

Use common sence. Chargers hurt. Alot. Go slow in areas with those, press "R" so you're walking (Your defence is zero when running and your block is halved). Destroy the corpses, Carrion/solar vine, dire wolves, find item/find potion,holy weapon for redemption, corpse explosion/death sentry etc. all work great.
If you can get something that stuns it makes them alot more managable. 1 point in Shockwave on a druid will suffice, just cast repeatedly and they will be perma stunned. Carrion wind ring on you or your merc along with sandstorm trecks for lots of twisters is another good source of stun. 1 point in warcry on a barb is enough too. If an enemy is fire enchanted, such as the blood orb or countess etc. be aware of when they are about to die. Make sure if you are in close you have a full life bulb. Its always better to just make the boss chase you and let the ranged group members deal the final blow.

Many skills some would call useless are very helpfull, battle cry, taunt and howl on a barb especialy. They only need 1 point to make your job alot easier.

Think before tackling a laggy boss. Drop your attack speed to avoid counters being spammed and take any summons down. One strong summon can be ok to help with tanking. If the game starts to get laggy, fall back a little and make the boss follow you. This works especialy well against Moloch. Once his vines start to lag the game, fall back a screen or two and carry on untill the vines create lag again.

Take your time. Don't get impatient if your stuck and try to do it alone. Minimising risk is the key to surviving. Wait until you have lifebuffs in your party before trying a major boss like Mephisto, Diablo and Baal.

Follow those guidelines and you should be fine. There are times when death is unavoidable, thats just how it is. Theres nothing quite like having your heart rate double in an instant when you hit 5% life and manage to come out of it alive. You just dont get that edge with Sc.

Edit: I know alot on sc play private games. Unless you have a dedicated group on Hc I would recomend making all games public. You will almost always attract a group if there is a public game on the go.

Last edited by PureRage-DoD on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: HC Newcomers Strategy
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:54 pm 
Game Server Host

Lots of good advice there...for newer players coming from bnet etc...be careful at aact bosses and quest bosses they are on a whole other level here and cannot be soloed typically with out outrageous gear.

Bad Advice:
Sit back and constantly ask people to do your quests...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:37 pm 

Here's a few things I've learned from HC:

Never be a hero. I cannot emphasis that enough. I've seen too many chars get killed running into a battle when the rest of us were already fight something else.

Know your enviroment, and pack for it. If up against andy, wear Death's hand. Cannot be Frozen is vital for Duriel. Planning ahead will save your life.

Never relax completely. I've heard of stories of lvl 90s being killed by Norm Diablo, and now that Diablo is even stronger it's more reason to be careful. Always keep a ton of rejuves and be ready to spam them just in case.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:51 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Wait until you have lifebuffs in your party before trying a major boss like Mephisto, Diablo and Baal.

heh, that reminds me of the times back on SC when bone nec could kill off Hell Diablo using a crap load of blue and red bottles while the tanker couldn't survive big D (seal bosses being a different story tho).

Sure as heck i won't try that on HC...(maybe :lol: )

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:00 am 

Ill definitely roll a HC character tomorrow. Thanks for updating as well

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:45 pm 

For those starting new, if you can socket 6 or 7 chipped diamonds in your helm/armor, that will pretty much make you take 0 dmg all the way til andarial. Starting in act 2, I have this set of gear for my chars-

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/40 ... t022gx.jpg
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/8418 ... t023yh.jpg
http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4256/s ... t024pe.jpg
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/724/ ... ot025f.jpg
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/346/ ... ot026i.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/7663 ... ot027y.jpg
http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/324/ ... t028ei.jpg

ctc cyclone armor is awesome from wand, cbf from death set ofc. I tank everything up to Hatestorm, taking almost 0 dmg even from Duriel. Damage reduction is your friend especially if you don't have the gear you really want for that build. Might not do a ton of dps, but at least you'll stay alive, even during a lag spike!

I cheated and used a lvl 1 to craft some MS eme rings/amu to get the higher values and low lvl reqs, but other gear is just p emerald crafts. Just gotta get money for hammers.

Or you can try to rush your char through to a5 with no DR and die :lol:

Offline Profile