Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

Post subject: Skeleton Mages and DK aura
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:50 pm 

It has come to my attention that Skeleton Mages die incredibly faster than the melee ones do, and the difference between their life and defense is not that much different. They die so quickly, and I've come to the conclusion of the matter that it is because the melee skeletons gain life easier from the Death Knight's aura.

A small comparison, I'll just use my current skill levels with items:
Lv20 Raise Skeleton
Damage: 252-255
Attack: 2705
Life: 1080
Defense: 545

Lv15 Raise Skeleton Mage
Life: 874
Defense: 490

These are accompanied by a 175 life heal per kill from my Death Knight aura, and Lv34 Skeleton Mastery. They are 5 levels apart; I only have 6 into Raise Skeleton and 1 in Raise Skeleton Mage, and they wouldn't have that much different life/defense if they were the same level. The reason for 1 into Mage is because they die so horribly fast--I had to reroll my necromancer to put less into this worthless skill.

Notice that the Mages don't have any attack listed at all? It doesn't say anything about it other than "Improved Missile Damage" on Skeleton Mastery either... I'm assuming that the skill is just to be used to waste your own corpses that you could be using for Corpse Explosion, or to raise skeleton warriors or your death knight.

My suggestion is that either Raise Skeleton Mage gets some kind of damage boost so they can receive life back by killing things -OR- improve Death Knight's aura to give life back to everyone with the aura effect on (maybe heals less since it would heal more bodies?).

thank you for your time reading this post

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Skeleton Mages and DK aura
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:22 am 

This entire argument is kinda moot as skeleton summoners are a pointless build against bosses. All they do is die. Quickly. Just like pretty much all other summoners. This mod is not meant for summoners.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:29 pm 

WolfStar wrote:
This entire argument is kinda moot as skeleton summoners are a pointless build against bosses. All they do is die. Quickly. Just like pretty much all other summoners. This mod is not meant for summoners.

Just because they are pointless against bosses doesn't mean they should be ignored. If the mod was not meant for summoners, summoner would not be a possible tech tree. Army necros are absolutely amazing for running through the main acts, farming, power leveling alts, etc. When it comes time to do bosses, they can easily switch to a curse setup and use wands with Lower Resist/Decrepify/Lifetap bonuses and +skills to help out. I have heard of a necro soloing Hell Mephisto using an A1 physical rogue, and holding mephisto back with summon spams.

I agree with x3n0x1d3, in that Skeletal Mages die way too easily. I am not talking about bosses, but just in normal gameplay. It confuses me because their stats are not far below that of the Skeletal Warrior, which makes me think that x3n0 is correct in that the warriors stay alive easier because of the Death Knight's aura.

I think that the Skeletal Mages need some modifications - or as x3n0 said, modify the Death Knight's aura to give a smaller heal to the entire party - not just the summon/person that killed the unit. This would help keep the backline's HP up long enough for them to get a few attacks off. In Frozen Tundra (Nightmare), I can not summon skeletal mages as fast as they die. This is with level 35 Skeletal Mastery.

I am one of the Army Necros unlucky enough to have invested more than 1 point into Skeletal Mages. I really regret it. Any changes that would make skeletal mages more versatile would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:53 pm 
Game Server Host

Anyone know if the shields skele wariors get give them block? mages have no shield as both hands are used to cast the spells. They should be weaker than the warriors as they are caster types. The death knight aura willnot help any of the skeles tbh as it only heals the unit that scores the kill. chances are it will be you (CE) or your merc dealing the damage so the aura really only benefits you, your merc or other party members.
The only thing mages are good for is droping your fps with the spam of useless attacks. I liked the idea of having 4 mages max but with decent attack spells (lightning, fireball, Glacial Spike) and just removing the poison ones since the nec has poison damage of his own to use. Perhaps there would be more mage necros around if the damage of the spells was worth the 20 point investment.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Anyone know if the shields skele wariors get give them block? mages have no shield as both hands are used to cast the spells. They should be weaker than the warriors as they are caster types. The death knight aura willnot help any of the skeles tbh as it only heals the unit that scores the kill. chances are it will be you (CE) or your merc dealing the damage so the aura really only benefits you, your merc or other party members.
The only thing mages are good for is droping your fps with the spam of useless attacks. I liked the idea of having 4 mages max but with decent attack spells (lightning, fireball, Glacial Spike) and just removing the poison ones since the nec has poison damage of his own to use. Perhaps there would be more mage necros around if the damage of the spells was worth the 20 point investment.

I'm not sure if monsters even have chance to block. Just defense plays a factor for them I thought.

Summons are pretty much good for taking hits. This is why I'd say a psn nec has a good advantage over hammerdins.

I do miss the revive skill. :"( We use to revive black souls from on the way to baal. Insane lightning damage and great life.

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:58 am 
Game Server Host

monsters can block. Im sure in the last patch bosses were given an increased chance to block. Diablo was at 75% previously iirc. I dont know if skele warriors are granted block though.

poison nec is on par with a hdin at best. Hammers cant be defended against by most bosses and most trash. They get easy max block, easy max dr% massive defence and easy absorbs endgame. They also get a massive 4 life per point in vita. Not to mention the damage of hammers far outstrips any form of poison damage dps wise. Against trash all the pally needs is andys helm on the merc to make some amp witches and his conc aura + tele will dominate all areas easily enough.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Anyone know if the shields skele wariors get give them block?

3% ctb ( from The Arreat Summit ) , if Soulmancer didnt change it from original D2LoD features.

Cory wrote:

I'm not sure if monsters even have chance to block. Just defense plays a factor for them I thought.

They can indeed. Just take a look at act1 shield-wielding corrupted rogues, They are able to block attacks ( you can appreciate the blocking sprites ).
Monsters with no shield also have a 5% block.
And bosses... well, it depends of the boss =)

Offline Profile