Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Post subject: Durability
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:34 am 

I know that we can all use our cube to repair weapons on the run, but lets face it, 98% of us use the cube as a great big suitcase to carry our junk with. I really don't even think the cost is all that bad to repair at a vendor either - if you socket all kinds of neat powerful things in your weapon you just have to fork over the cash to keep it new and shiney.

My problem is breaking the game flow to go back to town for a repair. Would there be any problem to just bringing the durability of every item up to a minimum of 100? 150? I know that we won't want to go too crazy with this to keep people from just using eth items - but it seems like a number in the 100-150 range would be reasonable after reviewing the txt files.

The dagger class seems hit the most by this with ranges in the 10-20 durability zone. There are some pretty cool daggers that wereform characters could put to use, but with the crazy attack speeds available these little daggers don't last too long before it is back to the repair shop.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Durability
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 am 

My Convictor (5 frame attack speed) used a 92 durability Flail pretty comfortably. Before that Flail, he was using another with 80 durability. Both seemed fine, but generally had to be repaired after every run or wp collected. I agree that 100 durability would be plenty for any weapon meant to be used by a fast-attacking character.

For repair cost considerations, any item with large numbers of gems or runes in it will cost a fortune. My pally must repair with forge runes on his "Wonder" flail, since the cost of normal repairs is anywhere from 1gp (rolled over cost) to 2M (only saw this once), I normally nee it hovering around 400k. His expensively-gemmed gemmed hat (3 ubers) and armor (4 MStones) cost about 10-20k per durability point lost (maybe 1 point every few wp collected).

Charged items cost a lot too, but there's nothing this discussion can do about that. I also think their cost is perfectly reasonable.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:14 am 

one tip to keep the repair bills in check is to equip an edge and move your weapon down to your inventory and then repair it at the discounted price.

normally though, I just try to bring back a present for the vendor (quad sockets, x-sockets, wands or some high armor) to sell back to keep my gold from going too fast.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38 pm 

My 2fpa fireclaw druid has a crafted giant thresher with 4 uber amethysts. 140 dur.

It wears out in about 5 minutes of combat and the repair cost starts high around 400k and drops to 180k when broken.

Maybe we need to add repairs durability to the rare jewel mod pool.

1 dur every 5 seconds would certainly do it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 pm 

another thought might be to start scaling the durability up on elite items. Lets say you ballpark items to be around:

100 normal class
200 exceptional class
300 elite class

to correspond to the higher IAS rates available at later levels.

What would you think about adding that repair durability as a standard mod on Death Craft weapons? Since you can't craft eth items, it shouldn't create a balance issue.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 am 

Yet another thought:

Why did D2 designers daggers more fragile than a sword or an axe?

Thats nonsense. take a look at basic physicals: the object with more surface and lenght is the one most fragile and/or breakable.

Lets suppose two steel sticks: one 20 cm lenght, and another one 50 cm lenght. Hit a wall with both of em. The longest one will eventually crash sooner cause of the... ( ermm donno hows said in english damn xD :oops: ) , well its just a phys. law.

Wider and thin -> more fragile .
yes, spears should be the weakest, followed by 2 hand-swords and long swords, then axes and polearms. And the toughest ones: broad/short swords , maces,scepters and daggers

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:20 pm 

tonykantos wrote:
Yet another thought:

Why did D2 designers daggers more fragile than a sword or an axe?

Thats nonsense. take a look at basic physicals: the object with more surface and lenght is the one most fragile and/or breakable.

Lets suppose two steel sticks: one 20 cm lenght, and another one 50 cm lenght. Hit a wall with both of em. The longest one will eventually crash sooner cause of the... ( ermm donno hows said in english damn xD :oops: ) , well its just a phys. law.

Wider and thin -> more fragile .
yes, spears should be the weakest, followed by 2 hand-swords and long swords, then axes and polearms. And the toughest ones: broad/short swords , maces,scepters and daggers

Physically, I shouldn't be able call down Meteors from the sky against hordes of demons, but I damn sure do it anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:29 am 

Abominae wrote:

Physically, I shouldn't be able call down Meteors from the sky against hordes of demons, but I damn sure do it anyway.

Yo can't ?! Then you must't'b a low lvl in real life yet :lol:

(I hope some1 got my point of view >.< )

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:49 am 

Daggers need more love in the durability department. Otherwise they are only useful for wielding, not attacking.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:53 am 

We haven't been able to make gold from lead yet, tony.. does that help? ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:57 am 

Ill kill ya, and when ur buried, I' will exhume and hork your corpse nee' yorz 500k gold naaw!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:20 am 

+1

Muling constantly isnt a bad thing, but i dont like that my weapon durability is the main factor for forcing me to mule.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:18 am 

I will agree daggers get pretty boned when it comes to usability. Range one and having to repair every 10 minutes? No thanks.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:40 am 

if ur gonna use irl as a guideline........daggers are one of the weakest items irl

they are ultra thin and sharp.............whereas a 60lb claymore tends to be at least 1/2 and inch thick with most being thicker to they tend to last better

this is why they have lots of claymores form the 1500's but damn few "working" daggers or dirks there are quite a few "decorative" peices around but you cant repair them either hehehe

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Einstein

Offline Profile