Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:25 pm

Post subject: Possible AoE addition for melee weapons?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:16 am 

i've been playing melee classes of late and theres something that seems to bother me: the lack of AoE for melee classes.

i've been lvling up a leap attack barb, which while testing maxing whirlwind and bash and LA nets an absurd 5000%+ skill weapon dmg bonus on LA ( each skill was at lvl 20, i'd love to see what happens with +skill gear)

and while( and still) slogging my way up the lvls trying to kill just with bash alone while trying to fight back 50+ monsters (not an understatement spawn carver camps right and this happens) the lack of AoE really makes itself known, i mean necs have teeth, zons, multishot, sorcs fireball, static, nova, and frost nova. while most melee classes get the shaft when trying to grind out some lvls.

now i know some of you are gonna say well barbs have WW, yeah but what the hell can you do until lvl 36? when you play solo online it becomes REAL apparent that melee chars need AoE to deal with huge mobs.

but alas i dont think we'll ever see AoE on melee weapons.

anyways there are a few ways to add AoE for melee, the easiest being add 100% CtC AoE on attack, basically a skill that emits an invisible missile that explodes in a small nova after traveling a short distance, you can make this an automod assuming there's room to do so

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Possible AoE addition for melee weapons?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:31 am 

Here are some suggestions for low levels to deal with numerous trash trivially. I'm sorry I dont' have anything to add that is directly related to your suggestion, but it might be argued that the purpose of Melee classes is to take hits, and not spam them. That quality is what is supposed to distinguish them from ranged attackers and spell casters.

1) Twink yourself out with gear filled with +FireDmg jewels. I recently noticed a lvl 12 jewel with 13-33 dmg :shock: (previous best I've ever seen was 14-22). You could even topaz-craft a hat and quad it. You probably won't need to stock up on the low level +FireDmg charms since the jewels seem to have been buffed. When you're done, you should now have a set of low level (lvl 11-14) gear equippable on any char (or merc), and that does an avg of about 250 FireDmg to attack. Now equip RavenClaw, and attack with exploding arrows. I've had similar chars around level 16 (first set of decent fire charms) doing about avg 500 dmg per explosion. If you're SC, I don't mind feeding you some jewels. Also, Blue might still have my old topaz-crafted hat (he makes more new chars than me, so it made sense).

2) Get a MoonStone Topaz, and with a level 1 char, gamble an ammy. Topaz-craft it with that char so that it's level 14. The ammy will pretty much only have the mods "lvl 20 Nova on struck" (avg 175 dmg) and "adds 1-400 lit dmg to attack". This makes for a pretty easy romp through A1 and A2. Although that ammy might seem overpowered, keep in mind that by the end of A1 (or multiple people in game) it will take more than one proc of lvl 20 Nova to kill trash.

3) Buy a multishot rogue, give her low Dmg jewels. This is particularly easy if you''ve got a lvl 11 char gambling for jewels for option (1). lvl 3 and lvl 6 +Dmg jewels are very common and practically useless for player-chars, and jewels on a low-level gamble screen are much more common than later. Buy a 3os hat/armor from charsi and your rougling should be capable of an avg 150 dmg every shot.

A later-game alternative is to just make a Convictor. They're an amusing build, especially if you've already got their gear waiting. "Voice of Reason", "Rift", and "Wonder" are all very decent weapons for AoE. DragonHelm works alright for AoE too. Just keep in mind that a Convictor will never be a godly boss killer or anything, but he's fun for any type of trash.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:27 am 

another alternative: equip full elemental set ( yeah, its until lv 75, but well... ). You will feast on AoE elemental skills.

yet another one: want melee & AoE ?
The ultimate answer is dtailsin.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:03 am 

tonykantos wrote:
...elemental set ( yeah, its until lv 75, but well... ). You will feast on AoE elemental skills....
I wish this were the case, but the skill procs on Elementalist set only do like 100-200 dmg. They're nothing but CounterSpawners, like Tiamat's Shield.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:16 am 
Game Server Host

some low level charges of meteor or chain light etc would make them more worth it. I generaly only use it as a merc set or a single ring depending on the element I am. something like charges of a synergie to the ctc skills atmaybe level 5-6 (10 charges)... or something like that. It should really be a great set for a melee build to do a little AoE farming of lower areas. So they make a bit of an impact and not just flashes of colour on screen

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:51 pm 

Yeah, I agree that it would be nice if they're were more than just flashes of colour. I considered the idea of suggesting charges, but I think those are too hard to control easily. By that I mean if you give that set charges, then maybe some odd little piece of gear becomes overpowered now. For example, if you gave charges of IceBolt to synergize IceBlast, then "Wonder" runeword becomes ... much better.

I think a less risky solution is to just buff the levels of the skills being cast. I know "level 25" sounds like a nice number, but level 25 IceBlast is about 385 dmg, lvl 25 FBall is 325, and lvl 25 Lightning is 200. At Levels 50 (also a pretty number) those skills each do about 1275, 925, and 750 respectively. Considering those proc 25% of the time, just add 1/4 of each damage to your attack and that's how much dmg is being added.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:19 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh i had a look through the other items quickly but nothing jumped out at me. I may be mistaken but im sure there is a helm with meteor charges at a pretty high level. That along with 2 rings of flame would be a nice combination I think (if im right that is) for melee solo farming in nm act 3 etc. I find these items to be useless against bosses since the damage wouldn't be worth the counters. I liked the idea of a 100%AoE on attack. If the ele set had 100%ctc AoE (for the coresponding element) that would be a nice touch. So you would have the added fire damage to your attack in an AoE form with the flame ring etc. etc.
While mulling that over another thing comes to me. A new unique amulet that gives AoE on attack so the phys damage from the melee attack's hit would trigger a spell that transfers your attack damage to a 1 yard splash like a sorceress fireball. Keeping the range down and the level req highish (80 or so) should give melee builds a more fun time while farming alone. Perhaps a few - stats on it like -5% life -10 frw -10ias -5 all stats. nothing to major but something at least.
Perhaps making it like the cursed items so you can change the - to + by cubing it with the hell glyphs, that way people have another reason to hunt the glyphs down in hell. Call it Izual's Crest or something like that. Would be nice if it would only interact with the Sword of the Wanderer too actualy, Maybe only giving the sword the AoE effect and not with any other weapon.

Offline Profile