Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

Post subject: just a thought about areas
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 8:59 am 

Since I have to edit the maggot queen map to remove the chest, I had an idea.
What if some superunique monsters had a chance to open a portal to a new area.
Ex. Kill bishibosh and when he dies he has a chance to open a portal to a shaman camp. It would be an area full of fallen and fallen shamans with a stronger bishibosh. Ofc the area would be harder and would have an incentive to got there. Like a few golden chests that would have better drop rates compared to others.

Like I said just an idea, let me know what you guys think.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: just a thought about areas
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:52 pm 

that sounds pretty awesome :D

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:43 pm 

Been meaning to suggest something like this for a while. Farming areas are pretty limited, especially endgame. I second slappy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:47 pm 

sounds like fun to me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:52 pm 

always suggesting this kind of stuff and get fully ignored... its a good idea, do it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:40 am 

Don't like it, sorry. (Just skip to the end for summary).

The chance to open portal means games will be spam-created just to get bishiboshi and when he doesn't spawn a portal it's off to a new game. Anywhere from every 10-30 seconds (or not much longer), per person doing it. You could mitigate this by making several different target bosses able to open portals, bishiboshi in act one, dark elder in act two, rotgaze in act three, etc. That may be your intention anyway. However, it's still likely we will all prefer to run one particular area over and over for simplicity's sake rather than try all the areas per game.

The good thing about an idea like this would be to detract from the inevitable tundra runs we all end up doing. Unfortunately the reason for that is because it is the last area per difficulty with the right ratio of clear-rate/density of mobs - where we get the best stuff for least effort. It's a shame but no amount of special quests, dungeons or whatever is likely to succeed frozen tundra in terms of facility and popularity until something is done about that place first - which has been attempted if I recall.

Lost my train of thought for why else I thought this a bad idea. Probably just afraid of change: I'm human.

I think making the existing unused areas more attractive deserves your time and attention more. There's one in nearly every stage of every act. Some of them, like spider cavern, flayer dungeon and kurast sewers should be necessary to progress through an act, but unfortunately they're mostly skipped. Some of them, like cave, stony tomb and collapsed escape tunnel contain glyphs needed for cursed equipment, and I think they're fine. But the rest never pay host to any action because there is simply nothing down there.

So, if I had to offer my own counter-suggestion for criticism when shooting down someone else's ideas, it would be to make those unused areas more enticing. I don't know how, I'm not very creative.

Maybe do it like vanilla and select one area per act to hold a treasure-level slightly below the maximum. To use vanilla as an example, it was the pit in act one, drifter cavern in act 5, and I can't remember the others but you would of course choose your own and may even keep them secret to allow us to discover them by ourselves.

If I'm not mistaken, each of those areas contains a named unique similar to bishiboshi anyway. Why not use those bosses to spawn the portals, except not as a random thing because the effort has already been made to clear and find that boss. And then... well then I should go make my own idea thread because this is going on too long.

Tl;dr I'm not keen on new stuff for new stuff's sake when there's already other stuff nobody bothers to do because tundra is too good.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:45 am 

Sounds like a great idea once balancing issues get taken care of.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:46 am 

Retrov has a good point. If anything, it should be tied to uderused areas.

Wolfs: Your suggestions are often interesting, but more complicated and quite a bit more time consuming to actually do.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:27 pm 

Yea but then it's pretty boring in that sense.. there's no real excitement to clearing areas you don't normally clear versus killing a super uniq and having a portal spawn you into a new area. See the diff?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:52 am 

maybe change this, so that instead of super uniques the Actbosses have a chance to spawn a portal where you find a uber version of them, and they drop parts to a uberlevel (like the keys to uber tristram in vanilla). and in that area you have to beat all of them at once or so to gain your Reward.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:25 am 

or have it so a enemy that you kill ALWAYS spawns a portal but the ENEMY doesnt ALWAYS spawn.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:00 pm 
Game Server Host

Tons of areas you can use and make more interesting. I'd have loved to get my hands on those areas when i had time for mapping etc.

The cave
The Pit
Both Crypts
Collapsed Escape Tunnel
Underground pass lvl2
Under Lost oasis (cant even remember the name it's so pointless)
Unused Spider cavern
Unused flayer dungeon (forget the name again)
The kurast temples
3 Hells (a5)
+ more i prob forgot.

You could do lotsa fun stuff for in those.

Offline Profile