Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 pm

Post subject: Hydra Sorc Tweak
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:39 pm 

Hey guys,

Recently ive been playing a hydra sorc. She is really great but one limitation. Hydras are very hard to use as far as casting them to their full potential. I've been comparing them to my light trap sin. Sins are able to cast their 4 traps really quickly and move on to other skills or locations. I would like to see something similar to this with hydras. If Sorc can just tele in, cast their 3 hydras and then work the Fire Bolt skill it would be amazing, this is the reason i brought this up, being able to tele around quickly is a must (imo) to avoid attacks because sorcs are fragile (imo). If you cast more then 3 hydras, 1 will disappear just like the trapsin skills. I msged Dew about this and he likes the idea but pointed out that traps have a shot limit and hydras have a time limit. He said this could easily be setup the same way with hydras. So i would love some feed back on this idea from community.

1. No cast delay on hydras
2. Limited amount of hydras casted (3)
3. Instead of time limit on hydras maybe a shot limit on hydra? or a shorter time limit? not too much though! i think this tweak would make or break the hydra sorc.
4. any other idea?

Thanks
iMP

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Hydra Sorc Tweak
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:49 pm 

i like this idea on removing delay on the hydra cast, but make it 3 max at a time or something perhaps?

never played one myself and thats pretty much why, to slow, this would speed things up make em more interesting/ versatile and be able to keep p with higher damage builds in co-op

or switch to fireball instead of bolt?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:12 pm 

in some ways it looks nice.

I like the difference in mechanics from one class to another. Homogenizing spells in general is a bad idea in my opinion.

It can also be pretty abused. Sins lay traps at their feet, and hydras are cast where you click. This would have to be changed, and it would be even more homengenized. I just don't like that aspect at all.

I have played hydra sorc's and I understand why it is being suggested. I would rather just see a 4th hydra to be able to be cast given either through cast delay reduction or duration.

I really don't think it needs much of either. It is quite good at bosses, even with moderate gear.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:35 pm 

While I understand where you are comming from as I hate repetiveness in skills imo its not a fun build. Then again if I had my way a lot more would get changed to vary builds and playstyles. Such as a tri elemental hydra that would get bonuses from maxing ice blast/fireball/charged bolt. But doing things my way would greatly change gameplay and a lot of strategies........ there is plenty of room to improve this mod with new content and respark intrest even in the face of d3. I know a lot of people who won't touch it. Basically what I'm saying is Imp is on the right path to keep this mod alive. He's not suggesting change for the sake of it but for improvements to increase gameplay.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:53 pm 

dew wrote:
While I understand where you are comming from as I hate repetiveness in skills imo its not a fun build. Then again if I had my way a lot more would get changed to vary builds and playstyles. Such as a tri elemental hydra that would get bonuses from maxing ice blast/fireball/charged bolt. But doing things my way would greatly change gameplay and a lot of strategies........ there is plenty of room to improve this mod with new content and respark intrest even in the face of d3. I know a lot of people who won't touch it. Basically what I'm saying is Imp is on the right path to keep this mod alive. He's not suggesting change for the sake of it but for improvements to increase gameplay.

throw some of these ideas you have up somewhere i bet alot of people would be interested in them and maybe seeing them implemented.

as it stands hydra skill wont be changed at all?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:46 pm 

I think if the max hydras was increased to 4 or 5 and we adjusted the damage it would be a good change.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:32 pm 

its the cast speed, when they play in a group by the time they cast 2 hydras most of the sht is dead..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:43 pm 

What is wrong with a tri elemental hydra? That is a pretty cool idea but ofc gl getting pierce. It would turn hydra into a strictly trash char as getting sufficient pierce would be difficult but the idea is still pretty good none the less.

I thought hydra sorcs were buffed? Tier 5 by 15% that is quite a decent buff.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:12 pm 

the dmg is fine, its the time it takes to cast a hydra and to get 3-4 up is the prob IMO

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:24 pm 

I am not opposed to a change. I just don't want a skill from another class rewrapped.

I do understand the feeling of not having a lot of them up as you clear trash with a team. They are quite good at bosses atm though. If you want significantly better trash killing speed, then you are going to have to sacrifice the boss killing potential in my opinion.

There is a reason that traps can't be placed at distance without cast delay in this mod.

As far as drastic changes, we need to get shit in order before that. If we hit close enough to the mark on balance with items, pierce, skills, etc this time then we could reasonably quickly figure out a good next step. An actual detailed plan needs to be made so that an overall vision can actually be articulated. I don't like being fed this type of thing piecemeal. Continuation of previous work is one thing, what you are seemingly leaning towards is another.

I still have fun messing with this stuff, so I would be willing to do things over time. Like most of the community, I have a real life. It will take time to do things. Putting it out there so you understand I am behind the idea of keeping a the mod alive, and am willing to do the things I can.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:56 pm 

blinky99 wrote:
the dmg is fine, its the time it takes to cast a hydra and to get 3-4 up is the prob IMO

Completely agree

kramuti wrote:
I am not opposed to a change. I just don't want a skill from another class rewrapped.

Agreed as well

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:58 am 

well as for trash what i do on my hydra is spam her fire bolt. Her bolt dmg is 24k now, but will get 40% more dmg from 1 point fball 1 point meteor. the thing is. when working tele and hydra and bolt and also keeping my a2 merc alive it is almost pointless to spam hydra. Sorcs are WAY more fragile then a sin. therefore having no cast delay on hydra allows u to play more defense and use ur tele skills to stay alive. Sins lay traps and walk they dont even have to change skills. while on my hydra sorc im working shift key, alt key, and 3 hot keys(hydra tele telek) along with potting. i feel having no cast delay will open up the sorc tree a bit more while not making her "OP". comparing her to a trap sin overall should not be done. they wont ever take the dmg a hydra sorc will in tundra. The only reason i brought up traps was because they have no cast delay but max amount of traps and shots.

Would like to see cast delay removed or shortened greatly with a max of three hydras up at once.

Correct me if im wrong but is there even very many hydra sorcs besides my 95(Skwigelf) out here on hu? Or even frost nova, static/nova, chain lightning sorcs? this change, i dont feel, would make them op but just open their skills up alittle more.

iMP

P.S.
Thanks alot for the feedback guys... I didn't think anyone was going to post lol.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:25 am 

I was just throwing the ele hydra out there as an example. Not saying its something that should be done for hu specifically. I have plenty of vision for modding that's why I started my own, I'm just torn by the potential of this game and being here doing this. There are many ways to add more depth to gameplay so its not just hold left click most of the time. Maybe this discussion is for another topic tho

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:18 am 

so reduce/remove cast delay, 3 max, maybe lower synergy bonus's? All around compromise on speed & dmg

removing delay = greater reduction in dmg i guess?

or make it so its cast at their feet? and no reduction in dmg

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:44 am 

i would rather have nothing change if it was to be casted at their feet. sorcs are way to fragile to have to have them cast at their feet. i would also vote against a dmg reduction. i dont want changes to dmg because that will start all over on the too weak too powerful bs and will end up making this a massive change.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:00 am 

How do your hydras do on bosses Imp? Mine did well last season with very moderate gear. A reduction in cast delay (not zero) seems reasonable. It is currently set at 75, with a duration of 225 frames. What about 50 and 200, respectively? This would get 4 hydras up for full duration.

Like I said before, I understand the issues with clearing trash in a party, but giving a spam, ranged skill that can be placed a screen away from where you are standing is abusable as hell in a boss fight.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 am 

i dont think the duration should be changed, they take a few "ticks" or whatever the lingo is to start shooting bolts anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:14 pm 

kramuti wrote:
How do your hydras do on bosses Imp? Mine did well last season with very moderate gear. A reduction in cast delay (not zero) seems reasonable. It is currently set at 75, with a duration of 225 frames. What about 50 and 200, respectively? This would get 4 hydras up for full duration.

Like I said before, I understand the issues with clearing trash in a party, but giving a spam, ranged skill that can be placed a screen away from where you are standing is abusable as hell in a boss fight.

Well honestly I don't use her in act boss fights... Psn is just soo much easier. What I made her for is fun and LOS. She was a god send there but it is unreasonable to bother trying bolts+ hydra on bosses it can be messy. but for trash its unreasonable to try hydra + bolts because they are too slow. with this tweak i was just looking for an easier way to use both bolt and hydra with either boss or trash play. I thought this tweak would pass easy due to how fragile sorcs are anyway. but it seems it would open up a can of worms with a tweak.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:01 pm 

Well it is possible to make them shoot fireball only, which would give them a small aoe that wouldn't affect boss fights. It woulld just make trash clearing a little faster

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 pm 

dew wrote:
Well it is possible to make them shoot fireball only, which would give them a small aoe that wouldn't affect boss fights. It woulld just make trash clearing a little faster

i like this idea + shorter cast dealy

maybe make a quick change and let Imp test it in single player?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:06 pm 

I just tried my hydra on hell baal. i wasnt impressed with the dmg. definately dooable but then again, i have very nice gear. Was just very hard to tele around spam hydras to get baal baal and even get some bolts off. one of the things i noticed about the way traps are layed that i love is the max amount of traps. With hydra if its still in cast delay u begin to walk towards your target (bad idea on a sorc!) instead of just casting over the hydras u have already out.

That fireball idea seems very very interesting..........

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:27 am 

Ya, Imp, it is slower but pretty steady with the hydra sorc. Hold shift to keep yourself from walking forward. I am pretty used to this I guess though. I play several characters where you have to use that...it does make life a little more difficult.

I don't have any real arguments against a fireball effect on hydra vs firebolt.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:49 am 

would monsters also get fireball or would this be just for sorc

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:45 pm 

unless the hydra skill has a clone, it would be universal...iirc there is not a hydra clone.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:27 pm 

hydra clone? im positive there are a good few things that counter with hydra (fire council, Meph sub boss, maybe more) and on my hydra sorc i use Mythias coronet with ctc hydra on struck. is that what you meant?

As for the shift key work, that just takes alot of practice, im still one of those who use fkeys for hotkeys so its hard to use the shift + hotkeys without making ur hands look like they are double jointed in 8 different spots haha.

Still i am sure i will make a hydra sorc in the future patches, I just love her!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:25 pm 

things would get messy with all the monsters who use/cast hydra being given fireball instead of bolt as well but could be fun.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 pm 

Ya, I use Fkeys as well. I have changed setups before, but never liked what I came up with enough across all classes to continue in that regard.

If people see counter hydras as an issue with fireball, it would be a simple matter to make a clone. Fireball would be interesting though. Agree with blinky on that one. Fireball doesn't have a huge radius though. I don't think it would make a huge difference honestly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:24 pm 

replace bolt to ball is an interesting idea imo. Hydra gets distracted easily and generates so much counter, enough to kill the tank if he gets 1 second distracted. At the beginning i commanded the whole hydra buff rebelion with not much interest on the dev team, (because they are kind of elitist they must admit), but it got buffed and discussed after all to this point of effectiveness we have right now, the build now is playable and fun, but always missing something and have much more drawbacks than benefits, if we talk of the skill himself.

First I suggested more hydras summonable(like D1), but something happened, it lags a lot and crash mid-low capacity pcs, the aoe on hydra having just 3 its quite poor, one stupid thing that got done IMO, was to FIX the hyrda bolt speed and nerf the whole skill to max 3 summon (before was 4), so this gave the build just a slight buff but making it more playable overall. Max hydra 4-5 would do a great buff, and no cooldown to replace them on the place you need and not wait the monsters to stay still to get hit, like it was on D1 its a decent not OP buff

also, if the change get to be fireball instead of bolt, 3-4 max summon is fine, but please, for god's sake, dont come with the idea "now it will be OP because it does well like other builds, lets nerf dmg to the half and compensate the more aoe".... like usually do.

This whole thread reminds me my old fights to get useless/dead builds usable again '-' i like it :twisted:

regards ppl :)

EDIT: one question. Is it possible to make the hydra alternate betwen bolt and ball?? not always making counter but still having some, and more areas etc...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:30 pm 

make the changes and let imp play around see how it goes, i dont know how to make said changes or have my lod cd key to play yet.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:15 pm 

i like the idea of fire ball. Hydras are countered to and not the player so that wouldnt see to bother me. the big thing i was fighting for here was just the cool down. sucks waiting for your skill when monsters move around too much (los necro).

If someone explains how to test on sp i will run around with it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:21 pm 

I don't think the cooldown should be zero. There should be at least some delay on this skill. The current thoughts that seem to be okay with folks is a small reduction in delay so that you can get 4 hydras up rather than 3. I don't see a point in nerfing the damage unless the cooldown becomes really short.

Not sure about it alternating. I would need to take a look at some things to see if that is doable. Maybe I will have time over the weekend to have a look.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm 

I like the idea of it being shortened a good bit to allow 4 hydras :)
Possibly the fireball thing though too. Just to make it different!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:01 pm 

good reduction in cast delay, no reduction in duration, and change to fireball, no change in dmg = win

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:47 pm 

Christmas wish list for hydra!
- Return the max cast to 4 hydras
- alternate firebolt+fireball or just simply fire ball! (alternates is way much cooler)
- nerf cooldown to at least 1 second, letting replace hydra everywhere... anyways it has high mana cost so replacing much w/o strategy isnt an option.

i believe that a way to do the easier changes would be re-amking skill as a summon. So the summon need to have:

- untargetable mod
- max cast 4
- cast delay 1-2 seconds
- skills AI
- cast fireball
- cast firebolt
- faster cast rate, equal to the actual hydra shoot speed (need manual adjustment i believe)
- and whatever else you want because summons can be modded easily unlike the already made skill

or not sure if it would be even harder due the 3 headed nature of hydra '-' just threw my ideas

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:15 am 

Making it a summon would also prevent pierce from working with it, eh?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:21 am 

should be straight fireball-

-- glacier spike [for freeze defensive effect] would be cool but would not fit at all i know and may be over powered, but would fit with the "elemental hydra"

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:56 am 

@ Wolfs
It already is a summon believe it or not, it just has its own special skill functions to summon 3 at once. Each head of the hydra is one summon. So there is no need to make a new skill for it as you suggest

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:13 pm 

would most agree on these?

cool down reduction
hydra upped to 4
bolt changed to fireball on the hydras

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 pm 

yup.

now do you make a clone so its unique and that all monsters don't get this [council etc] or make it universal so all monsters DO get this new hydra skill

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:05 pm 

Imperial wrote:

cool down reduction
hydra upped to 4

that sounds sexy as hell

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:40 pm 

Changing it to just fireball will not affect monster damage output if that's what people are worried about.
Cooldown and max count have no affect on monsters using this skill either

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:50 pm 

cast delay to 50.
duration unchanged at 225 frames.
fireball from firebolt.
damage unchanged.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:40 pm 

how quicker is the casting at 50 vs 75 delay

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:27 pm 

25 frames per second

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:45 pm 

Imperial wrote:

cool down reduction
hydra upped to 4

sounds good to me.

Dew.
Interesting to know :shock: my whole life is a lie! :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:06 am 

see how this works.
it only includes skills.txt and missiles.txt, using dews files as a base.
extract to wherever you have his stuff installed and overwrite.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281266/hydra.rar

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:37 am 

kramuti wrote:
see how this works.

Does this need testing? I have no probs doing that, but I am kind of retarded when it comes to this stuff... lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:41 am 

Imperial wrote:
kramuti wrote:
see how this works.

Does this need testing? I have no probs doing that, but I am VERY retarded when it comes to this stuff... lol

fixed that for you

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am 

Ya, it should be tested. See if you prefer the timing as well. You won't get many bolts off any more...though you did get a lot before. shrug.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:11 pm 

kramuti wrote:
Ya, it should be tested. See if you prefer the timing as well. You won't get many bolts off any more...though you did get a lot before. shrug.

what do ya mean? how is there less total bolts fired since cool down is less?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 pm 

i mean less time for you to use firebolt, not that hydras shoot less.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:06 pm 

ohh

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:08 am 

just return duration to the original 12 seconds and hydra would be completely good... takes 2 seconds to start atacking, and attact per 2, so only shoots arounds 3 times

edit: tested

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:03 am 

so you are saying to keep delay as it is in 1.3b and upping duration to 300 frames from the current 225 right?

and what did you test? the files i put up or hydra at 300 frames.
sorry for being dense, but its 5am and i haven't slept well in days.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:14 pm 

hehe np Kramuti, i was lax on my description xD also wrote it on the morning and didnt wanted to edit :p.

I tested the actual change from bolt to ball and the frames, also i tested every single option before on the previous patches etc... i was testing along with Dod if remmeber well, the possible changes on hydra.

My point is, hydra has got many changes that has been making it better and they have all worked fine, but reducing the duration from 9 to 12 was a nonsense, hydra last not enough to place an appropiate dmg, easily distracted and shooting just a few just drain your mana bulb in open areas.

So my request is to return the duration to 12 minimum, if more better and set max summon=4. And if is not much to ask if is possible to set 1 second delay to summon or none, to allow replacing, its a high req mana skill this wont make it OP

the current changes from original hydra are:

- Bolt speed, now monster avoid less the shoots
- damage and syns rebalance, more damage now
- reduce duration from 12 to 9
- changed bolt to ball

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:24 pm 

Wolfs wrote:
hehe np Kramuti, i was lax on my description xD also wrote it on the morning and didnt wanted to edit :p.

I tested the actual change from bolt to ball and the frames, also i tested every single option before on the previous patches etc... i was testing along with Dod if remmeber well, the possible changes on hydra.

My point is, hydra has got many changes that has been making it better and they have all worked fine, but reducing the duration from 9 to 12 was a nonsense, hydra last not enough to place an appropiate dmg, easily distracted and shooting just a few just drain your mana bulb in open areas.

So my request is to return the duration to 12 minimum, if more better and set max summon=4. And if is not much to ask if is possible to set 1 second delay to summon or none, to allow replacing, its a high req mana skill this wont make it OP

the current changes from original hydra are:

- Bolt speed, now monster avoid less the shoots
- damage and syns rebalance, more damage now
- reduce duration from 12 to 9
- changed bolt to ball

You have me lost.
I thought all that was requested to be changed was:
bolt to ball
3-4 hydras
Slight reduction in cast delay

Did the changing of the cast delay mess everything up? i noticed you talked about 1 sec or no cast delay with a max of 4. thats what i originally wanted. well max of 3.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:50 pm 

I would have to look a bit more to see if you can put a hard cap on the number of hydras out rather than using the cast delay alone to limit the number.

I really do not like zero cast delay, as it is simply a set of fire traps in different form. Plus the range of hydras would make it highly abuseable. (cast at edge of screen so hydras can shoot another screen away...this is why traps are set at the feet in HU...i don't want that on hydra either).

I will probably have more time this weekend. My brain is totally muddled at this point, otherwise I would look now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:03 am 

Imp, sorry i got ya lost, i just mentioned the overall changes hydra has gotten with newest patches, the change atm is the bolt to ball and the frames, besides this, having less cast delay and max summon=4 its just a thing to try if is possible or not. The less cast delay is possible we all know, but makes a higher quantity of summons. IMO returning to 12 the duration is a must, it would help a lot but need re-adjust to cast delays... this is why we need to check if there can be a cap on summon.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 am 

There can be a cap on any summon. If you want a max of 4 then all I have to do is set it. Takes 2 seconds to do when I get done work I can have it up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:59 pm 

without getting into more technicalities of the skill, i thought most had agreed on just bolt to ball reduced cast delay. the reduced cast delay just allows you to get the 4 up at once we talked about? if we reduce cast delay to say 1 second and let dew put a max 4 summon on there that sounds good to me... quicker hydra laying (what i wanted) + 4 at max + a better trash clearing sorc with the bolt to ball... I dont think a tweak to dmg needs to be done at all. O_o

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:20 pm 

I would rather have the limit set by cooldown alone. I am not particularly fond of spamming up to 4 and then being able to override the last one(s), but whatever

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:48 pm 

Imperial wrote:
without getting into more technicalities of the skill, i thought most had agreed on just bolt to ball reduced cast delay. the reduced cast delay just allows you to get the 4 up at once we talked about? if we reduce cast delay to say 1 second and let dew put a max 4 summon on there that sounds good to me... quicker hydra laying (what i wanted) + 4 at max + a better trash clearing sorc with the bolt to ball... I dont think a tweak to dmg needs to be done at all. O_o

totally agree with this :) but i will always complain for the 9seconds hydra xD 12 was better, hydra takes a moment to start attacking and dies fast '-' no good

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:16 pm 

Imperial wrote:

i like all of this ftw

Offline Profile