Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

Post subject: Private Forum
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:40 pm 

Some time in the recent past the private forums became public. I really think it should be private again and we should update the list of people who can post there. These patches get hindered and slowed so badly by rant posts, disgustingly overly-argued topics, and derailed threads. Let the private forums be a place for those trusted individuals to be able to work in peace. They put forth their time and effort so they at least deserve that. Let the suggestion forum be where everyone else can chime in and give their 2 cents, and the guys in the private section decide what to implement.

People who I think would be a benefit to the private section, assuming they would take up such a mantle: dew, kev, drrod, pious, abom, steel, baerk, krumati, I'm sure there are a few others.

Then it's up to everyone else to test and give feedback.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Private Forum
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:32 pm 

That isn't even necessary. It becomes like a Dev team again and shit will get confusing. It's easy it is now.

Ben posted a list. ( people have contributed items )
Dew patches it.

They drop the patch and we play. There's no need to complicate it just because one thread derailed got derailed. One person doing the list and one person patching is it as simple as it will ever get with other people contributing item changes etc.

A dev team will only slow the process further as so many people have different ideas etc. There's a reason Dew said "Someone make a list like Kev then post it" That's what Ben did. Just chill man. The item thread slightly derailed. It's cooled off now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:48 pm 

Its just about separating patch production from discussion and testing, that sounds more efficient to me. I'm not in charge, though. Just a suggestion. Not like I'm even suggesting I be included so I have nothing to gain from it except a patch getting worked on without arguments and suggestions that will never end. Arguments and suggestions/discussions can be informative, but.. for the sake of delaying a patch forever to heed every advise given?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 pm 

Now that it seems things are actually moving again, we do kind of need to organize stuff. Right now things are kinda scattered. It's not horribad though I guess.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:30 pm 

Yeah I agree it's pretty unorganized at the moment. I figure we'll throw together a "master" list at some point so we don't have our changes in several different threads.

As far as the private forum goes I don't really care either way. Most of the people that voice their opinions here aren't hurting anything. There's a ton of people's opinions I value here and to make a private forum would be to invite half the active posters anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:14 pm 

Quote:
Private forum

Is and was a horrible idea, and is why I personally contribute little to nothing to future patches.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:31 pm 

I agree with furycury, transparency is better. It didn't really work out last time. This is progressing nicely the way it is, but a master list would be nice to have for people to see.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 pm 

dew wrote:
I agree with furycury, transparency is better. It didn't really work out last time. This is progressing nicely the way it is, but a master list would be nice to have for people to see.

people to see but not comment, rant, rip apart, and turn into an argument...!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm 

I have no issues of not having a private forum. I was mainly asking for more organization at some level...people are communicating though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:23 pm 

basically I was trying to prevent people who do none of the work from shitting on and discouraging the people that do the work. Having a sense of politeness didn't seem like a logical thing to ask of people on the internet. If you guys don't mind asteroth and lee coming into your threads it's up to you lol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:50 pm 

Again I repeat the thread derailed slightly and I put an end to the arguing in that thread. Like I said having a private forum does nothing but creates the same shit that failed before aka a 'Dev team' where the arguing becomes centralized in a private forum amongst a smaller group of people. It just won't work. People are going to voice their opinions regardless, whether they agree or disagree. There just has to be an appropriate way of doing it and arguing in an item thread is not the way. I acknowledged that and I stopped it. The thread is fine now. Having one person post a list on what they feel is best with a few people contributing it and Dew patching it is as organized as it can get. If you think I discouraged Dew or Ben you're a dumbass slappy. Ben nor Dew give a fuck about what I say enough to be discouraged or stop doing what they're doing and I extremely/highly doubt they were discouraged by my arguing in that thread.

Ben has the experience and skill level to formulate a patch on what he feels is balanced and he will get it closer than most people can here. It doesn't necessarily mean everyone will agree on every aspect of his patch but ultimately most people will support it and it should go fine.

Again it's why Dew said " I will only patch if SOMEONE puts a list like Kevin " and a private forum goes completely against that as it's a group of people creating a patch rather than one.

Again I repeat... chill the fuck out man. My arguing is taking place in the argument forum from now. Relax. I acknowledge how disrespectful it was to sabotage Ben's thread. I even privately apologized to him via PM. That's the party I play HU with. It's very difficult for to me actually argue with the people I play with especially when I know Zac/Ben are much more knowledgeable and experienced than I. It's not going to happen again. You're just dragging a dead man a long and making something very small bigger than what it is by posting this stupid ass suggestion. No offense to you Slappy but I'm just being blunt honest. Stop over exaggerating shit.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:34 pm 

was just making a suggestion, wasn't trying to offend anyone

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:22 am 

My bad I apologize in that case. I thought you were throwing a direct shot at me by making this thread but anyway it's all cool. It wasn't a bad suggestion. It's just the fact that priv forums have always failed in the past and get too complicated. I doubt things would change now.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:15 pm 

FuryCury wrote:
Quote:
Private forum

Is and was a horrible idea, and is why I personally contribute little to nothing to future patches.

Post more plz. Now is the time for the average joe to get his word in. Pretty much any idea/change within reason is getting some love.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:30 pm 

Quote:
Post more plz. Now is the time for the average joe to get his word in. Pretty much any idea/change within reason is getting some love.

Do we have a master change list up? I haven't been on in a while and haven't kept up with all the threads. Based on what's on the list I might want to make a suggestion or two.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 am 

No. Just give it time and one will be up eventually. Everyone working on this patch is doing so at their leisure(and rightfully so) so you just have to be patient.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:21 am 

drrod wrote:
No. Just give it time and one will be up eventually. Everyone working on this patch is doing so at their leisure(and rightfully so) so you just have to be patient.

Np was just checking. If there is anything I can do to help lmk.

I did post some suggestions here:
http://forum.arimyth.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=47175#p47175

Offline Profile