Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 pm

Post subject: Getting to a boss is a nuissance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:42 pm 

I really dislike all the pre-boss dumb stuff that was added to this game. I think this just adds to the desire to use high level characters to run you through the game as it makes completing a quest horrendously tedious and time consuming. By the time you actually get to the end boss, you don't want to bother battling him for a long time, you just want that bastard dead so you can end your evening without having to do it all over again.

Examples include:

Extra Tal rasha's tomb (as if the first tomb wasn't long enough). I mean it sucks having to deal with champ worm after champ worm, but do we really need to have MORE champ worms in yet another tomb?

Lazarus
Ok, lets have a mini-version of Diablo before we face Diablo. What is the point? There are already 3 seal bosses before Diablo, do we really need another one? Why not just go directly to the Chaos Sanctuary? If people still want some "new" place to experience - make it a sub-area off of the River of Flame, but don't force us to deal with it.

Cleft of dimensions/worldstone castle
Don't get me wrong, these are cool areas but unless they have a Waypoint to them (or a key that directly creates a portal to them) all they do is make the Baal quest unbearably long.

I really see this as a big balance issue in this game and perhaps the number one promoter of high level rushing. If you could say "oh well, Diablo kicked our butt tonight - I guess we will just give him another go tommorrow" you might not see so many people begging for high level rushers to come in and finish the quest for them. If it only took a little time to get to the boss, then you could certainly see this happening. But with the immense time/effort required to actually GET to the boss, I just don't see it being feasible for people to throw in the towel that easily. They have invested too much time/energy and will want the quest done.

Tobial and Mephista arent bad - they are in small areas with only a few champs around. Although personally, I think you should dump the champs. Getting to Mephista and having champ seraphims around = everyone drags Mephista down and leaves the seraphims alone.

Oh - and in case it comes up, I don't really care if people run bosses over and over again. It can't be any worse then the constant Tundra running and items drop like candy in this mod anyways. If someone wants to run Hell Diablo over and over again - I say let them do it without having all the junk in their way.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Getting to a boss is a nuissance
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:48 pm 

I agree with you completely, especially bad are Duriel (unbearable size of the True Tomb combined with the champion wyrms) and Baal (dear god what a ton of shit just to get to his chamber).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:52 pm 

Actually in my opinion the bosses are too hard for the level requirement, and the champions are bullshit. Champion wyrms / marilyths / seraphim / etc are annoying and take fucking forever to kill, it's boring and pointless.

The player population is so low that even if you get to a boss you probably didn't do it with more than 1 friend, and so you HAVE to call in help because it's impossible to kill by just playing through regularly.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:55 pm 

I agree with Baal. I don't have hours and hours to devote to doing Baal. I don't play MMOs for that exact reason - because they take hours to do anything. Champion wyrms/mariliths/etc are just boring. All you do is sit there beating on them for so long. I like D2 because it's a fast paced game but as it is...it's not fast paced.

Also, change the description in the readme. Town portal orbs before most bosses? You have to be kidding me. The one before baal and the arcane orb are the only useful ones. Two. That's it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:09 pm 
Game Server Host

I never had any problem with the length of places and champ wyrms etc are not that much of a problem. I actualy like coming up against a champ pack of marilyths/wyrms or ws golems, since the rest of the trash is a total joke it keeps people on guard and adds a threat outside of boss fights only. They also usualy require a little strategy to pass, like splitting them up, and keeping them apart so they cant stack all the attacks at one point.

I dont think these areas should be shortened. I have been dabbling in other mods over the last couple of weeks since it seems nobody else is interested in killing hell baal and doing LoS and prefer farming. I've never been much of a farmer myself so i`ll take a break until theres more people ready to continue with quests. These other mods are a total joke but they are something people are actualy questing on and there are some new things for me to do. I wouldn't change HU for anything, I like having a game that takes time and patience to do certain quests. I personaly think every act end boss should be a little longer. Except baal that is, thats just right imo. Thats just me though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:52 pm 

It`s not a problem guys! There is 2 way:
1) You should kill all pre-bosses,champs in order to get exp (also,nice drop) and fight vs main boss at the right lvl.
2) You can rush with high lvl char.
I prefer №1.

Yeh, Baal quest a lil long, but the prize is great - new difficulty.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:14 pm 

WolfStar's point is good, D2 is fun because it is fast paced. Tundra things can still kill me at 98, a minion pack with extra fast and might or something. You can get some nasty mobs in WSK2 as well, rough harpy packs.

These are killable but they don't take five years, but they still require you to be on your toes. That's fun, it CAN kill me if I am not playing properly.

What's not fun is watching a progress bar move 1 pixel per minute.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:16 pm 

Just-ice wrote:
It`s not a problem guys! There is 2 way:
1) You should kill all pre-bosses,champs in order to get exp (also,nice drop) and fight vs main boss at the right lvl.
2) You can rush with high lvl char.
I prefer №1.

The problem is time. I like playing Diablo, its a fun diversion from life. But sadly I have a limited amount of time for fun in my life and all the garbage before bosses really cuts in to this.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:40 pm 

Champ mariliths/etc require strategy? Since when? The tank stands there holding left click, the DPSers stand there holding right click. If it's a wyrm then there's also tele spam as the wyrm jumps around. What strategy. Everyone stands there as its health SLOOOOOOOOOOWLY goes down, and for what? A little exp? It's faster to kill trash mobs, not to mention more satisfying and MUCH more involved.

There's a difference between "time and patience" and "all my time and patience."

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:39 pm 
Game Server Host

WolfStar wrote:
Champ mariliths/etc require strategy? Since when? The tank stands there holding left click, the DPSers stand there holding right click. If it's a wyrm then there's also tele spam as the wyrm jumps around. What strategy. Everyone stands there as its health SLOOOOOOOOOOWLY goes down, and for what? A little exp? It's faster to kill trash mobs, not to mention more satisfying and MUCH more involved.

There's a difference between "time and patience" and "all my time and patience."

Not every group has a dedicated tank, sometimes it can be a sin/paly tanking with no or only 1 life buff, in that case they need to be split up. wyrms dflight catches the ranged chars so they need to be split to minimise risk. You can get amped by something and swarmed by champ wyrms and your gonna know about it. WSGolems deal alot of AoE damage so ranged builds need to keep dropping back 1 at a time in order to heal. I play a more strategy based style in order to minimise the risk of a death since I play hc and its just the way I like to play. "Since when?" Ask me after you try tanking a champ pack of them in LoS or get amped in a2 with 4 of them on top of you.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:14 pm 

a pack of harpies with stoneskin and an aura and amp gives me plenty of trouble, no need for a 15 minute yawnfests from champ wyrms and such.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:56 pm 
Game Server Host

What ruins other mods is the fact that its basicaly dominate everything in a microsecond. The good thing about this is that progression takes time and the biggest quests require time and commitment

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:28 pm 

If going to have to agree with Blue, especially about Baal. His quest is waaaay too long. Moving the Frozen Tunda waypoint to the castle would be easy and very helpful.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:04 am 

u dont have to remove any waypoint u can add more

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:51 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
I never had any problem with the length of places and champ wyrms etc are not that much of a problem. I actualy like coming up against a champ pack of marilyths/wyrms or ws golems, since the rest of the trash is a total joke it keeps people on guard and adds a threat outside of boss fights only. They also usualy require a little strategy to pass, like splitting them up, and keeping them apart so they cant stack all the attacks at one point.

I dont think these areas should be shortened. I have been dabbling in other mods over the last couple of weeks since it seems nobody else is interested in killing hell baal and doing LoS and prefer farming. I've never been much of a farmer myself so i`ll take a break until theres more people ready to continue with quests. These other mods are a total joke but they are something people are actualy questing on and there are some new things for me to do. I wouldn't change HU for anything, I like having a game that takes time and patience to do certain quests. I personaly think every act end boss should be a little longer. Except baal that is, thats just right imo. Thats just me though.

I still want to do baal and los, and we have other chars everywhere. Get on a play now! :)

Offline Profile