Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Post subject: A useless mechanic in the game.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:38 am 

Well I don't really know what else to call it besides a mechanic..But yeah. I'm sure everyone can agree with me that gold is just about the most useless thing after you hit 90ish+ if not sooner.

Reasons:
Very easy to attain max gold
Cannot gamble high tier gear with it

I suggest making the gold aspect a more important aspect in the game. I mean not something that people can abuse of course. But something to give the game a bit of a fresh feel to it. Where people can do in their off time if no groups are available.

suggestion: Make jewels spawn everytime when you gamble

Now for the people like I that only need gold for facet gambling(when leo doesnt give you the facets you need but instead gives you the gold)the most annoying thing I face when gambling is having to revisit gheed sometimes 10+ times before he will show me another jewel to pick up just for it to be magic. I propose giving gheed(if not all the gamble merchants) a consistent 1-2 spawn jewel space. There is plenty of room to do this so space is not the issue. It will allow people to use their gold more effectively and give them more time to farm/party with others(I for one spend most of my time gambling when I could be farming).

I haven't really found anything else to really make gold more important..feel free to support or criticize the idea. I'm used to it^^

inb4: you can buy gems/other useless crap that you can kill 10 or 15 mobs in hell to get.

You are right. I can spend 5 mil to buy a starstone gem. However I don't need gems.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: A useless mechanic in the game.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45 am 

I understand your feeling on the matter but here's something you should realize. The guaranteed ring/ammy show up is actually hard coded. There's no clean way to actually guarantee a jewel showing up every time in the gamble screen with only soft coding. There are however a number of ways to make the jewels more likely to show up with soft coding.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:16 am 

Well if other people feel the same way perhaps we can have it show up more often next patch?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:17 am 

you do much crafting yet? takes a lot of gold

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:19 pm 

Gems are sex I have a crafting addiction.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:07 pm 

I dont think gold is useless (gems for crafting) but i think a good point comes from this discussion is that the stash size and amount of gold the player can carry is far too small. You dont even need a GG goldfind setup to easily max out your characters gold limit from one hell leoric run and still be leaving gold on the ground. it makes farming him rather useless unless you are specifically looking for facets, considering nm leo is much quicker to kill, much easier to deal with, and with good gold gear can pretty much fill your character up with gold each run.

Some way we can double or triple the gold amount a character's stash can hold?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:22 pm 

Concerning the amount of gold characters can carry and stash... I remembered something about the d2mod.ini mentioning this. I looked more closely and found that the utility plug in we are already using is already doubling the amount characters can carry and stash. It would be a simple mere seconds edit to change stash size and character carrying limits.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:32 pm 

Baerk wrote:
Concerning the amount of gold characters can carry and stash... I remembered something about the d2mod.ini mentioning this. I looked more closely and found that the utility plug in we are already using is already doubling the amount characters can carry and stash. It would be a simple mere seconds edit to change stash size and character carrying limits.

that would be freakin awesome, is it a client side edit or server side? or both?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:42 pm 

It would have to be both for things to work properly since it's save file related info. One or the other would surely cause various rollbacks and display bugs even if it didn't cause errors.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:03 pm 

I think that would be a neat thing to throw in next time fixes come around. I feel lame running back and forth between the Encampment and Tristram cuz I don't want to just leave that other 1 million sitting on the ground

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:28 pm 

How about this then... current gold carrying capacities doubled so that a lvl 100 char could carry 4 million gold. Current stash capacities quadrupled so it's possible to store 20 million in the stash. I looked over the save file limits some. Turns out the variable type used for carried gold and stashed gold each could easily hold 2 billion.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:57 pm 

OH MY GOD that'd be nice actually :D I wanna carry 24 Million Gold.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:54 pm 

Welll holding 2billion gold would be nice and all..lol but spending it would still be the issue.

I am all for upping the stash to 2 billion...or 24 million..or whatever is a good in-between.

However I still believe upping the spawn rate on jewels in gambling shop would be nice

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 pm 

Actually if it was possible to store 2 billion gold it would actually give gold a chance to have trade value. The reason gold isn't a trade commodity right now is even though gold could be used to make crafts the problem is the gold carrying limit is not high enough to guarantee getting a craft attempt that is really nice. The current limit of 7 million gold just doesn't come close to getting any quality crafting done without a lot of luck. A billion or more gold on the other hand you could craft like crazy with and probably get something truly worthwhile.

--Double Post--
Besides... you could gamble rings/ammies like crazy if you actually got billions of gold. The current unique chance for gambling is .5%. Assuming the RNG distributed the chance as it should that would mean every 200 rings you gambled would be unique. Admittedly this would mean an average of 10 million gold to gamble a unique ring. If you are gambling with a lvl 100+ that unique ring gamble would have a 1 in 61 chance of being constricting ring. Which means assuming the RNG wasn't skewed you could gamble a constricting ring for roughly 610 million gold (and get roughly 60 other unique rings with it).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:53 pm 

Well I regardless I feel as though something has to be done about the gold system. It was completely worthless in Battle.net. It is showing a little more usefulness in HU but still probably one of the lowest priorities on any high levels list.

I understand what youa re saying about the 600 million gold idea...But I have abot 900% gf...and it takes me roughly 3(if i gget nothing but gold leos and gold hork leos) to 9 runs to reach the 7 million gold limit. So lets say the average is about 6 runs to obtain max gold(sounds about accurate for me) with 900% GF. So each run is roughly 1.2mil. That means I would need to run Leo 500 times.

Now say what you want but I think if ANYBODY is that committed to Leo runs I think they deserve to gamble a constrict ring.

Edit...I hope my math is right....I barely passed algebra ^^

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:13 pm 

Some guy filled a cube with facets last ladder. Some people are that committed to running Leo. Also Barbs can easily hit 2000% Goldfind meaning it wouldn't take that long at all hitting Leo and Inner Cloister.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:32 am 

Well if they are that committed to farming gold and have the gear for it then by all means do it. They chose a certain path, a certain gear set...So of 2000% gold find is their reward then I am all for it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:24 am 

In any case though that 610 million figure would mean gambling 12,200 rings at lvl 100+ (and even more rings at somewhat lower levels). More importantly though a high gold limit could allow someone to use gold as a bargaining chip with a crafter.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:47 am 

with increased max gold a char can hold I'd decrease gold drop from champs/leo/mobs in general (rare items still could be sold for 100k) because gold is easy to get on ANY barb(glittering suns) or ANY char with hork armor/ists. Getting 2000mf/3000gf barb would have some meaning then, my one-week-just-for-testing WW barb had 1100mf/1400gf and was able to hork leo for 1-2mil of gold. With decreasing of gold drop few farming builds could be viable again (just like in sacred 2 you make a niobium smith/buyer). But it's all about director's choice: you want gold to be easy to get or hard, crafts easy to do or hard, gambling exclusive or inclusive.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:52 am 

I'd be up for Leo not dropping gold at all ;)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:28 pm 

It shouldnt matter how much goldfind/magic find a barbarian has. If he has the gear for it then that should be fine. Don't punish the rest of the non-barbarians for not being able to do the same.

At most you should limit the gold they drop. Not decrease it. So a hardcap for gold would be like 1500%.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:42 pm 

There is no DM or hard coded limit for GF, however. Doesn't help matters though that barbs have inherent advantages for GFing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:50 pm 
Game Server Host

Quote:
Doesn't help matters though that barbs have inherent advantages for GFing.

Possibly the only advantage they have over other classes.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:24 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Quote:
Doesn't help matters though that barbs have inherent advantages for GFing.

Possibly the only advantage they have over other classes.

QFT.

Well that and BO :P

But besides that I feel as though if any barb gets to that point where they have good gold/magic find they should be allowed to have it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:25 am 

Probably the best suggestion I've read in a while. It would actually make a pure GF character worth it. Nothing worse than horking a couple mil off Leo and having to return to town just to stash the shit.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:33 pm 

LockDown wrote:
Some guy filled a cube with facets last ladder. Some people are that committed to running Leo. Also Barbs can easily hit 2000% Goldfind meaning it wouldn't take that long at all hitting Leo and Inner Cloister.

That was wolfmans, i helped him. Remember him lock?
remember me, for that matter? back from a 4 month break!

Offline Profile