Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 am

Post subject: Death Sentry doesn't work with passive pierce.
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:02 pm 

I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I'm 99% sure Death Sentry doesn't benefit from passive pierce.
Looking at the text files, all summonable attacks that benefit from pierce (IE: Wake of Fire, Hydra, Lightning Sentry, etc) all have a passive stat like: passive_ltng_pierce or passive_fire_pierce

Death Sentry has none of these passives that are shared between other summonable traps. My knowledge of D2 text files is very limited, but I'm pretty sure that attribute is what allows skills like Hydra to benefit from passive pierce on its caster. (Based on where that attribute shows up and the fact it doesn't show up on normal skills like Fireball)

There is enough passive stat lines to allow Death Sentry to benefit from passive Cold, Fire, Lightning, and Poison pierce if that wants to be implemented.

Mainly just trying to see if this was unintentional or if Death Sentry was meant to not receive benefits from passive pierce. If it was, it'd be great to see that implemented.

EDIT: Did some in-game testing on it, and it supports the text files. My assassin with 80 Fire, 80 Cold, 40 Poison, and 40 Lightning pierce came into Tundra and messed around a bit. It cleared the normal mobs with very low resistance, but when it comes to Blood Bringers (99 resist all, immune to CoS) even 25+ explosions didn't bring them to 95% life. It's a much different story when Conviction or LR is running, as DS will bring them down in that situation.
Considering the pierce I used is similar to having LR running, its safe to say I wasn't piercing any of their 99 resistances.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Death Sentry doesn't work with passive pierce.
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:46 pm 

They don't get any passive res indeed. I believe skill is ok as it's now. or? Well, DS can get all your passive pierce but wouldn't that mean that 1 point into this skill - as it get's only more range with levels - kills better than fully geared phoenix sin? 2x craft traps with diamonds, all ele craft and fire away. LR + 50% pierce = win.
Maybe they could get more of your passive pierce as you level up skill? Like 100% of your pierce when you put 20points into it... or 50% if it's too much.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:59 pm 

Steel wrote:
They don't get any passive res indeed. I believe skill is ok as it's now. or? Well, DS can get all your passive pierce but wouldn't that mean that 1 point into this skill - as it get's only more range with levels - kills better than fully geared phoenix sin? 2x craft traps with diamonds, all ele craft and fire away. LR + 50% pierce = win.
Maybe they could get more of your passive pierce as you level up skill? Like 100% of your pierce when you put 20points into it... or 50% if it's too much.

Yeah, the skill is actually fine as is with no pierce to be honest. I've been working on an Assassin that focuses solely on Death Sentry, and slowly began to notice it's death sentry wasn't much better than anyone else's (radius excluded).
It still cleared very well from Normal to A5 Hell using only an A2 Merc to create the corpses. I was stacking passive pierce the entire time, thinking it was what made my Death Sentry preform so well, but it really was just the skill itself.

However, I disagree that maxing it solely for the radius isn't worth it. It equates to ~10 more yards if you max it, which is a little less than half a screen. It's a pretty noticeable difference between non-maxed Death Sentry and maxed Death Sentry when it comes to creating chains.
I do like the idea of Death Sentry receiving a fraction of your pierce though. Maybe 1/4-1/2? If that's all possible to do. It gives incentive to actually build around Death Sentry, instead of just all Assassins have more or less equal Death Sentry.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:05 pm 
Game Server Host

a % of the casters pierce based on level would be pretty cool. a simple 1% per level or make it more hard points oriented?

2% per hard would take it to 40% when maxed (I like the 40% as a maximum) but it could also be done with a simple 1% per soft point.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:55 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
a % of the casters pierce based on level would be pretty cool. a simple 1% per level or make it more hard points oriented?

2% per hard would take it to 40% when maxed (I like the 40% as a maximum) but it could also be done with a simple 1% per soft point.

As much as I support one point wonders, if pierce were to be implemented to this skill I think it should be hard points.

It's already a monster skill that EVERY assassin build can make good use of, and by itself is really strong. If you choose to focus your build around it, it should be stronger though, obviously.

Offline Profile