Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

Post subject: Make mercs level faster
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 am 

>.> mines leveling so slowly, i'm 24 and its 15. Got her when i was 12 she was 12. (no she doesnt die)

anyways, ideas?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Make mercs level faster
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:12 am 

i had the same problem at levels 20-50. act 1 merc was level 9? she died i dunno... 1000 times before i could get her to level 20. now she's 22 or so and i'm 69... they level slow as hell and die fast.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 pm 

Thing is this mod is a team mod, and your merc won't level if your team is killing most of the monsters I think? Would be nice to have a change to this but maybe it's not possible for a modder to do.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:53 pm 

mercs level in a strange way, from what i understand from my own personal testing this is how it works:

if a merc gets the killing blow on a mob then they get 3-5x the experience. the number of players in the game does not effect how much experience the merc gets (if you wanna lvl the merc, do it by yourself). the difference in difficulty between mobs doesn't matter much. for ex., the difference between killing a champion zealot and a zealot is about twice as much exp (for a lot more effort!), and the difference between the dart shooters in A3 and the trashers is small as well.

moral of the story: let your merc fight a lot of week mobs in a game by yourself. the forest in A3 is a good spot because it has lots of little mobs for them to kill easily and quickly. but of course, find the area which gives them the best exp per kill

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:21 pm 

I have noticed the same things. If a party member gets the kill the merc gets 0 xp. If you get it they get some, and if they get it they get 3-4x as much as if you land the killing blow.

I have not paid enough attention to see if the number of players in the game makes a difference on xp gain. But since party members just take away xp from your merc I think it is best to level in a 1 player game.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:01 pm 

A good time to lvl mercs is when you are doing some magic finding. Load yourself up with MF gear, which will decrease your killing strength and let your merc make more of the kills. Then just romp around in some areas around her level (check this chart for rough estimates of area levels: http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=1231). Merc should level pretty quickly that way.

Any time they fall behind, just do a little bit of MF to catch them up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:18 pm 

Mercs lvl like this..
If a merc gets the kill, the recieve full exp for the kill.
If you the person kills for your merc, they recieve 1/3 of the normal exp they would usually recieve.
If your party kills for your merc, she is now sol.
For merc lvling, like stated above, flayer jungle is just a godsend for mercs to advance.
And just because your merc gets more exp killing, doesnt mean you cant help and kill youself, a dead merc wont gain exp either now will it ^^

Lifes what you make it, so make it how you want to live it, if your life isnt what you wanted, then maybe you should change it.

Offline Profile