Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

Post subject: Iron maiden
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:02 pm 

So I know this has been brought up in a previous thread but I wanted to give it a little more attn. This is a curse that has haunted my frenzy barb from day 1. It will only take 2 hits for me to go from full health to dead. I have all end game gear with a spirit of the barbs and there is no amount of life leech that will save me. I think this needs to be looked at to make my barb a little more playable in areas with IM. For instance fighting diablo I die just attacking a bone cage and now that there is no more skipping ahead using higher levels I would like to contribute when fighting bosses with IM

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Iron maiden
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:57 am 

Consider tossing a point into Berzerk or Double Throw. Alternatively, you could use a low phys-dmg setup like dual "Lawbringer" runeword weapons and have plenty of CBlow in your gear. Ask around, or search the Strategy and Tactics forum for other ways to get around IM using a Frenzy barb.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:55 am 
Game Server Host

remember you can't leech anything from the prime evils in hell and very little from other bosses in hell. The drain column that control's leechability of enemys is very low for most hell enemys and the leech penalty in difficultylevels.txt cuts that down even further. Lifeleech is fairly limited for a tank outside of normal and mid nm.

cb and crushing blow with low damage weapons for bosses with iron maiden works just fine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:04 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
cb and crushing blow with low damage weapons for bosses with iron maiden works just fine.

Even with the reduction in crushing blow that is upcoming, this is still going to be valid.

The real important part is the lower dmg weapons. Iron Maiden has been significantly reduced in Hell Unleashed compared to previous years and a well put together character should be able to avoid a 1 hit death from IM, *unless* they are using some super powered weapons.

The BK set used to be a great boss managing set for a frenzy barb (was one of my personal favorites), but with the community feedback being pretty unanimous on increasing its damage it will likely no longer be a good candidate. I would suggest blood craft weapons with lots of Amns or Skulls for very large leech.

Bone cages are a real threat though as their leech coefficient is zero - which means no leech at all. That is really bad news. I played a hardcore martyr paladin back on b.net and learned the hard way about unleechable items in the game in terms of damage return. If you really start paying attention to what you hit and how it effects your life bulb you will start to realize that there are pretty drastic differences in leech rates among monsters in Hell.

Some degree of IM though is a very good thing though as it keeps high life melee players on their toes. Rather than just clicking on a boss and popping a juv now and then, they have to actively listen to what attacks are being utilized (for example listen for bone cages), move around a bit, and strategically attack when they can.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:25 pm 

That is very good advice thank you. I will experiment to see what works best or just avoid those bosses entirely. Yeah my swords do 950+ one handed so it doesn't take much to kill myself

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:17 am 

So with the proposed nerfing of crushingblow are there going to be any changes to IM?

Seems here that the general advice to avoid IM deaths is to go crushingblow, that doesn't sound like it will be very effective post patch.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:29 am 
Game Server Host

switch to a mid damage weapon and take your time instead of holding right click and going afk will be fine.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:30 pm 

what made you choose swords over axes?

Offline Profile