Total votes : 26
 Post subject: Potions... Poll time
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:20 am 

read this post for more info

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=141

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Potions... Poll time
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:44 am 

I've never had any gripes about potions in their current state. I wouldn't really be against changing them either. I voted no though for the simple fact that it would take too much time to balance, and if Terry decides to work on HU anymore I feel there are much better things to spend his time on.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:08 am 
Game Server Host

it just aint needed. again, lifeleech is your friend, leech + potion = healed

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:58 am 

the is end game thats fine.. this is entirely based on early game.... if you have tank class around act 3 theres quite a few that don't do that much dmg.. and pots aren't good enough to heal.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:55 am 
Game Server Host

2 parts of sigons + deaths combo and some leech rings, eye of etlitch maybe and a little leech on the weapon cover it easily. tancreds set with deaths combo and a cathans on a druid works fine too. Getting 30+% leech on a barb is doable by a3 and getting 40%+ on a druid is easy. Pots are not the issue, the equip these classes are using is the issue.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:02 am 

drrod wrote:
I've never had any gripes about potions in their current state. I wouldn't really be against changing them either. I voted no though for the simple fact that it would take too much time to balance, and if Terry decides to work on HU anymore I feel there are much better things to spend his time on.

Pretty similar to how I feel. They aren't perfect, but tweaking them may be too big of a pain in the butt.

You also have a charater who went HEAVY on life, that's not typical. Granted, heal pots weren't doing diddly for my druid last night during Diablo either :P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:15 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Getting 30+% leech on a barb is doable by a3 and getting 40%+ on a druid is easy. Pots are not the issue, the equip these classes are using is the issue.

Then why have pots?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:23 pm 
Game Server Host

undeads, heavy phys resistant bosses, extra life regeneration ontop of leech when swarmed etc. etc. Shouldn't need to be drinking them all day and you can save the bigger ones for bosses

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:55 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
it just aint needed. again, lifeleech is your friend, leech + potion = healed

how does life leech help a caster with a good life orb

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:13 pm 
Game Server Host

the point was tanking classes having a big bulb not being able to heal, casters are designed to dish out damage but not suposed to take it as much as a tank.

I know any caster I ever made very rarely needed to use a health potion. tanks and cannons ftw. I already passed normal with a caster and had no problems with potions, I really don't see the problem people are having with them.

all I know is, I just ran my paladin from level 1 to act 3 at 29 with partys all at the right level and I had no isues. Including tanking andariel without farming pots and duriel with regular healing potions that I didnt need to farm for either. No problem with potions from what I seen just tonight with a would be tanking class. even though every skill I have at the min has only 1 point in.
thats with oak and level 1 bo at duriel taking me to 2.5k life. Regular healing potions were just fine. (had about 8 greaters and 4 juvs with me too that I gathered in the true tomb easily). Now super heals are dropping in act 3 and I'm still having no problems healing . My setup is not even leech orientated with only 12% life leech. Thats very low and easily raised if I feel I need more. The game would be gimped and alot easier to solo if you could buy super heals in act 3, considering you can get along just fine without them if you play in a co-op.

Ps. these teams tonight were with pretty much new players and nobody thats played the mod for long. (one player I recognised as having played for a while) It's not like the teams were with seasoned hu players. If new groups are making it without trouble I dont see why seasoned players would be having such a problem...

I'll finish act 3 tomorrow night and maybe act 4 and post what I find as a tanking class I already know Pots wont be an isue at all though

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:30 am 

not having trouble I just think its crap I have to use an entire belt to heal my life bar... and trust me I'm well over 22% leech.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:11 pm 
Game Server Host

funny how my paladin made it through without needing higher pots. a few normal heals on andy from catacombs, and most of the others were lights. 8 or so greaters and 4 juvs then the rest, normal healing potions on duriel. Whare is the problem there? I didn't have to farm for potions or transfer potions at all and my damage/leech is pretty terrible at the min.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:42 pm 

you also are not everyone.... skill levels are different.... I'm playing on hc with kids who don't max oak or even get oak on druids...

I myself went for a high life build which should be possible.. but the current heals right now.. do nothing... so if we base it on a percentage heal instead... everyones happy.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:10 pm 
Game Server Host

if you do it on a % of life then the low life builds will be seriously hampered and more potions will be used by the low life builds than they need to use now. As it is, the casters/ranged builds can get by fine by using the potions from town while the tanks can fill up on the bigger potions and pots that drop. Change it and casters will be needing 2 greaters (if they heal say 33%) to heal 2/3 of a very small life bulb. seems like a waste to me

if your running around without an oak then you have less life to heal so they will be more potent than they are for me with an oak and bo sometimes floating around.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:58 pm 

okay so casters??? have to use a few more pots... they aren't the ones taking the dmg...

flawed logic... who cares if they have to use an extra pot to get the same effect.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:58 am 
Game Server Host

coz they then need the same size of pots as tank classes to heal 1/4 or 1/5 of the life a high life char would. Making the glass cannons will need alot more potions than a tank class so there will be less potions for the tank to pick up in game as everyone will be after the big ones, not just the tanks. It's not that hard to grasp

If you cant get by with pots as they are then you fail, simple as that. Why change something that already works? Buying potions is a last resort More than enough drop in game and supers are plenty for act 3/4. By then you should have a nice collection of juvs on you anyway

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:37 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
coz they then need the same size of pots as tank classes to heal 1/4 or 1/5 of the life a high life char would. Making the glass cannons will need alot more potions than a tank class so there will be less potions for the tank to pick up in game as everyone will be after the big ones, not just the tanks. It's not that hard to grasp

If you cant get by with pots as they are then you fail, simple as that. Why change something that already works? Buying potions is a last resort More than enough drop in game and supers are plenty for act 3/4. By then you should have a nice collection of juvs on you anyway

first off it doesn't work..... and what would be the issue with the glass cannons using more pots.. its not like they should get hit anyways.. and if they do they are pretty much one shotted......

help out the guys out front seriously....

votes 7-5 ~~

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:57 am 
Game Server Host

you keep missing the point. At the min. potions from town can pretty much fully heal a ranged build. this means they dont need to pick up as many juvs/ bigger health pots that the tank can use. having a super heal potion heal say 33% of a casters 1k or whatever life in act 3 is shit and they will therefore need to pick up alot more of the big potions that the tank could be using. Since the lower life builds lose a larger % of the bulb from a hit than a barb it means they will need alot more big potions that the tank could be using. It would throw everything off and would need alot of testing and ballancing. You want all that for something that people already are having no problems with?

If there was a problem with them then nobody would be past norm yet

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:19 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
you keep missing the point. At the min. potions from town can pretty much fully heal a ranged build.
yes and ranged builds have less than half the hp as a tank.... and pots picked up only heal a few hundred more points.... depending on where u are

this means they dont need to pick up as many juvs/ bigger health pots that the tank can use. having a super heal potion heal say 33% of a casters 1k or whatever life in act 3 is shit and they will therefore need to pick up alot more of the big potions that the tank could be using.
Since the lower life builds lose a larger % of the bulb from a hit than a barb it means they will need alot more big potions that the tank could be using.
evens out because the tank wont need quite as many.....

It would throw everything off and would need alot of testing and ballancing. You want all that for something that people already are having no problems with?
obviously people have issues with it.. every game I play people are bitching about pots not healing enough

If there was a problem with them then nobody would be past norm yet

most people just use juvs anyways

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:00 pm 
Game Server Host

inb4 double

Last edited by PureRage-DoD on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:05 pm 
Game Server Host

Quote:

and you get juvs by doing what? collecting as you go. thanks for proving my point. tanks can use juvs ranged chars can use health pots.

Just to let you know, norm diablo was killed tonight with nothing but greater healing potions. started as a full 8player spawn then 4 of the team shit a brick and hid in town. myself on a pala, 2 druids and a nec were all that stayed and my buddy on one of the druids was doing most of the amping with a charge wand. It's not like it was a together party. We didnt speak the same language for a start.

greaters were enough to get past him anyway and I had no problem going from 50 hp to full again in 10ish seconds using greaters. If you get low on life you can step back a little and do some running around while you heal up. If you want to click on the boss then press 1,2,3,4 then no wonder potions dont cut it for you. use some strategy and good playsence and they are fine as is. Don't cheeze the game for people who know how to put potions to good use.

Ps. andy slain with 3 casters around level 20 tonight with no life buffs and potions found from the game. the chars were played from lvl 1 in that game and we managed no problem. If a tank class cant handle it theres something wrong with the build. LmT was one of the 3 in the group, perhaps you have a change of heart about the potions now lester?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:59 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Quote:

and you get juvs by doing what? collecting as you go. thanks for proving my point. tanks can use juvs ranged chars can use health pots.

Usually I farm juvs in outer/inner for bosses, but I can only speak for myself.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:13 am 
Game Server Host

yup. Takes no time to gather enough pots from inner. Bad players want it even easier than it is already and want to be handed the tools to kill bosses instead of finding whats needed for themselves

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:40 am 

my entire point though is... why should we have to farm juvs..... the heal pot system is broken.... its made for vanilla d2.... not HU

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:31 am 
Game Server Host

my point is, why should we have to go through the entire balancing of potions when its not needed?

Again, people get along fine with potions as they are now. If you are having a hard time with them then you should look from another angle. Such as poor playstyle and bad potion use. The problem is with the player not the potions

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:09 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
my point is, why should we have to go through the entire balancing of potions when its not needed?

Again, people get along fine with potions as they are now. If you are having a hard time with them then you should look from another angle. Such as poor playstyle and bad potion use. The problem is with the player not the potions

your an idiot.. and you are far from being a better player than Ime.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:45 am 
Game Server Host

Im not the one begging for potions to be made more potent. You are a terrible player and im not the only one who thinks so...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:01 pm 

i actually like how heal pots arent so effective as to where u can chug them without worry... you just have to learn how to micro-mange your character better...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:02 pm 

lol I'm not begging either.. I was just stating that with the build I went... they weren't healing enough it took an entire belt just to heal my life...

and I reallllyy care what you and a few others care about me... its a damn game.. theres always going to be better people than you...
furthermore...

ben naz... that whole group is full of douches.... your a douche.. your server sucks you suck everything about you sucks

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:03 pm 

fanatic try running a 6-7k hp druid with 1-1.5k dmg through normal act 3 with about 25-30% leech....

go tell me pots are efficient.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:18 am 
Game Server Host

fyi I have druid i ran through a3 and 4 with around 7k life. I had no problems.

Did i mention any of those people you posted? I was actualy refering to sc players I've been talking too. Infact none of the people you suggested have said a word about how good/bad you are. I`ll say again. If you cant manage your builds life bulb, dont play a high life build fool...

Ps. cant get 30% leech on a druid by a3? You are doing something wrong there. My paly had more than that and he didn't have feral rage to help. sounds like you fucked up. stop crying and grow a pair

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:59 am 

lol the sc kids that are talking shit.. are the druids who are lvl 60 with like lvl 5 oak... so do they matter... no?

also please stop commenting in my posts I have nothing more to say to you fucking euro ass.

pot system system is based on vanilla d2...

this isn't vanilla d2...

needs upgraded..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:26 am 
Game Server Host

Quote:
this isn't vanilla d2...

exactly, stop trying to make it easier. If you want the pots to be as potent as they are on bnet then go play bnet. if not, stop bitching. the mod aint supposed to be easy. If you cant handle it then thats your problem. Fights are suposed to require strategy to get past, not just clicking on a boss, holding it down and pressing 1,2,3,4.

Also, stop bashing sc players, incase you handn't noticed you are sc too, clown.

If you don't want me to reply stop making stupid posts. I already know the potions are fine as I've done a1-5 on a number of builds, high life and low life and I had no problems, same as everyone else I teamed with. It's funny how someone who has played for so long finds potions broken when people just starting the mod this season are having no problems with them. lmao :lol:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:04 am 

tl;dr.... idiot

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:29 pm 
Game Server Host

cool story, why did you even bother to reply then? Get back to me when you can have a grown up discussion. :roll:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:07 pm 

actually this is the final post you will actually ever see me respond to you.... I found out this forum has a nifty little ignore other users option.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:17 pm 
Game Server Host

thank god for that, dont need to read through your crap anymore

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:19 am 

meh point is mute now.. I don't even use pots.... :) 83% leech before lifetap.... if im by self.. so I basically heal my bulb in one fury anyways.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:44 pm 

Only thing I would like to see is a potion continue to tick even after 100%. It seems they stop to tick at that point no matter if there is time left on the pot, this would really help in managing them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:52 am 

1) yes
2) make it so ultra and mega heal potions go to belt automatically with smaller size potion

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:39 pm 

I voted yes sorry
at least new characters (which I'm creating alot of.)
won't find it as daunting when one hits level 12 or so (I'm speaking for myself),can't get past Blood raven's or Andariel's body guards without using an entire inven worth of minor healing pots,and then maybe gets 10 to 30 hits in when death comes calling .
I didn't find it incredibly entertaining to hunt down a bunch of rejuvenation pots( which seem to drop every 10 minutes or so btw).
Why not make it possible to buy any type you wish in any act? This has always been something that has annoyed me even with battle net. These are vendors.(even though they are in somewhat of a siege in act one according to the story.And on that note,wouldn't Horrogath be in much more peril for items?) How difficult would it be to change the vendors to spawn potions of any type in any act? I really have no idea. :geek: That's for someone smarter than me. :?
I'm sure there would be outcries as to a disadvantage, but maybe make them pricier than other acts if that's a problem. :|
Still enjoying this mod very much :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:06 pm 
Game Server Host

potions are easily farmable in any act. you can get rejuvs and normal healing potions aplenty by clearing inner wp a few times. 15 mins worth of runs and you can have a belt + inv of juvs and half a cube of normal reds and half a cube of light reds. I personaly think buying potions should be there only as a last resort. I wouldnt mind seeing all potions taken away from vendors and only dropping from enemys tbh.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:31 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
potions are easily farmable in any act. you can get rejuvs and normal healing potions aplenty by clearing inner wp a few times. 15 mins worth of runs and you can have a belt + inv of juvs and half a cube of normal reds and half a cube of light reds. I personaly think buying potions should be there only as a last resort. I wouldnt mind seeing all potions taken away from vendors and only dropping from enemys tbh.

Ok then thanks for the tip I'll try that :)

Offline Profile