Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

Post subject: Here are a couple suggestions..
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:04 am 

First of all, i'd like to say that i only suggest these to avoid frustration, not because the mod is too difficult. Also, i believe in having a lengthy session of playability, but as long as it's fun.. nothing unnecessary like relentless backtracking or rejoins.

1. How about opening up a tp back to town for EVERY boss that is defeated? That way players can head back to town and gear up for the next quest instead of having to constantly rejoin/reparty after each quest. As you stated already, there shouldn't be concern for new players to come through the portal and raid treasure/waypoints because the portal is red, rejecting them if they don't have the required quests completed.

2. Mercenaries are decent in this mod but they really should be more durable. Especially since around the act 4-5 area there is alot of magic-type damage being slung around and there is very little that a merc can wear or do to prevent this. Most of which can easily kill bow mercs in 1-2 hits. The point i'm trying to make is that without the use of town portal scrolls it becomes a huge waste of time running all the way back to the last waypoint to keep rehiring a merc over and over again. Soon, out of a 5 hour quest game, 4 hours of it becomes rehiring mercs -BORING!

-George Carlin

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Here are a couple suggestions..
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:14 am 
Game Server Host

they are working on removing ways to rush...I believe your #1 would be increasing that...I saw your fix for that I just don't know how viable it is.

As far as the mercs go they are pretty sturdy as they are now...you should try getting ctc minion gear...this will provide meat shields for you and your merc....mercs gear can help a lot too...not to mention tele for you so you can control them and get them out of trouble.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:39 am 

I know that this was done to prevent rushing but as i stated to blue earlier, things have gotten carried away with precautionary measures. Soon, the modders will be taking so desperate of acts to counteract all the abuse, that the mod will be just as much fun as playing with the cheaters/abusers again.

lol you obviously haven't tried using act 1 mercs then. I use an a1 merc because as a sorceress it's nice to have that ranged damage as well as an attacker while teleporting. Yes i'm aware that teleportation is a great way to control mercs, hence why I do it. Secondly, I am familiar with using reanimates as meat shields as well. Most items wiith this stat are higher level or have very low % chance to cast anyways. Despite all that, the reanimated minions have terrible AI anyways. For example the spectres from my spirit shroud tend to disperse and fly off in random directions, not helping me at all. If lucky, they may draw 10% of the missile damages but most of the mobs still prefer to target me. If you are familiar with teleporting with a merc, then you know that when targeted with an attack the merc receives the damage instead of the character.

All I am saying is that as a first impression, the modders strike me as the type to quickly fix a problem only if it occurs as a bug/glitch or abuse. Helpful suggestions to the game that do not involve abuse or are not agreed upon by authority figures from this particular forum are dismissed with the illogical reply of someone who thinks inside the box.

-George Carlin

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:12 am 

i like the idea of tp AFTER killing a boss.... this wont make any rush i believe.... remmenber that its supposed that nm and hell chars cant join normal chars in the new patch(if it happens)... and there will be tp flags ofc.

the rj/reparty after boss fight is annoying... many people lose their spot while doing that on public games.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:35 am 

Cetra wrote:
1. How about opening up a tp back to town for EVERY boss that is defeated?

Been tried, wasn't able to be implemented.

Quote:
Mercenaries are decent in this mod but they really should be more durable

Merc's are very durable, they just need to be geared right and handled properly. They won't however be strong enough to handle bosses and that is by design. Most all bosses get a 8x dmg bonus against mercs which does a good job of ripping them up. While you *can* keep some mercs alive during some boss battles, it is a challenge and more the exception rather than the norm. I have a little information on mercs here: http://blue.arimyth.com/ although it isn't entirely thorough. Perhaps this thread will generate some discussion that I can use to enhance that page.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:02 pm 

@blue: Wow ok that clears that up then. Ya boss fights make it pretty much impossible to keep mercs alive. Although i was referring more along the lines of the ranged magic users of magic-type damage, like the doom knights. I have great elemental resist/absorb to keep my merc protected against physical/elemental damages but for the most part magic damage is still an issue.

@PureRage: Agreed. We were doing an ancients quest game and our tanks were unable to rejoin the game after dying due to the low levels joining in order to levelup faster from the added experience of a full game.

-George Carlin

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:28 am 

I second (third/fourth?) the tp after boss kill's. A lot of the boss's have portals that send you somewhere else after.. Why not make a TP ORB in the place they send you that you can kill and then for the ones that don't make a portal to send you somewhere else just add the tp to them. That was confusing i know..

OHH I GOT IT!!!

In median xl they have auras that you get after you kill certain bosses (the aura only last 30 seconds) that allow you to create special items and such. You have to be within like half to 3/4 of a screens length away from the boss when it dies to get it. I think it uses some sort of Battle orders mechanics to achieve this.
Implement the aura's.
Add a book that can be cubed to create a portal only when you have that aura!

Wala! Everyone wins!

Also about the mercs.. The fact that they are soo crazily weak vs a boss makes it a bit hard for an enchantress to play this mod well.
What if we added say 1 or 2 NPC's per act who's only function is to revive the merc in the wild. Kinda like the Resident Evil trench coat Black market guy who appears before and after Boss fights.. That doesn't allow for rushing but it does create a nice way for Merc dependent chars to play solo. eg: Healdin, enchantress, warcry barb maybe?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 am 

I know what you mean in median xl when the items had a limited time to be cubed after certain events such as the level/stat challenges. I'm not sure if this would work or if it would be worth the hard work to implement just for a tp after a fight. But yes, I was just interested in a tp back to town opening up once the final act boss was killed (perhaps even a few of the minor bosses as well?). I just remember saving anya and walking back and forth numerous times throughout the various levels pondering if it was even worth the added resistances & pindleskin portal lol. I know there is a portal shrine in the first level of frozen river but being that the waypoint was quite close to FR itself, the portal wasn't much of a help, especially having to trek down antoher 3 maps to face the dragon and then complete the quest for anya.

As far as merc's go, i've come to terms that this IS NOT the mod to play for the particular sorceress build that i like to play. I do continue to play it though, however it remains extremely difficult to accomplish anything that includes a monster that could even be considered a boss. She isn't as fast at killing as numerous other builds but with her wide variety of damage, i'm happy with her ability to kill and not be stifled by immunities. That being said, I retract my previous request for sturdier mercs and will simply use the merc for farming and keep enchant for support purposes :)

-George Carlin

Offline Profile