Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Post subject: POTIONS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:05 am 

Could we have more than just lvl 1 potions be sold from akara? 100 life healed on a barb isn't going to cut it in late ACT 1

Possibly hotfix this since it's serverside? >_>

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: POTIONS
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:10 am 

i agree, also the bigger pots also drop later on in A1 so why can they be sold, or even sold say after a certain quest?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:33 pm 

LmT wrote:
Could we have more than just lvl 1 potions be sold from akara? 100 life healed on a barb isn't going to cut it in late ACT 1

Hell Unleashed was intended to be played with 3-4 (or more) people party. Not for soloing. Minor potions in ACT 1 with such party do great and there is no need for higher potions to be sold.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:02 pm 

Songee wrote:
LmT wrote:

Hell Unleashed was intended to be played with 3-4 (or more) people party. Not for soloing. Minor potions in ACT 1 with such party do great and there is no need for higher potions to be sold.

Not every party has a healer and as a tanking class, potions are the only sure way to victory. The healer (if there is one) may end up dying, you must be able to fend for yourself.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 pm 

My HC Barb had 1500 life when he downed Andy at 23. I have to go with rejuvs because it would take a belt full of minors to heal me. I would like to see bigger potions sooner. Just one size up would be so helpful.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:49 am 

Risiko wrote:
My HC Barb had 1500 life when he downed Andy at 23. I have to go with rejuvs because it would take a belt full of minors to heal me. I would like to see bigger potions sooner. Just one size up would be so helpful.

You was soloing Andy, am I right? I don't know, maybe it has changed a bit since HU 1.21. I haven't played it yet, but I'm sure that it is not necessary. I agree, that minor potions replenish very little life and very slowly, but it is more interesting this way. At least for me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:05 am 
Game Server Host

people are managing without light potions being sold in a1 why change it when people don't really need them?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
people are managing without light potions being sold in a1 why change it when people don't really need them?

People are managing, but it is still tedious and poor game design.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:26 am 

any way to make potions heal a % life juvs.... just over time.. I bet thats hardcoded

or another option is to make minors heal 100 lights 175 heals

thing is your using regular vanilla d2's pot healing stats.... but in HU you have much more life a lot quicker... ~~ I dunno change please. ^^

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:27 am 

PureRage-DoD wrote:

America's social security system fails hard and there won't be any many left when I retire... but people are managing now.. why change it?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:08 am 
Game Server Host

You put real life and a game into the same category...nice.

your point is abit stupid considering things will also get easier on people as the season goes on. People will have ideal setups later on so pots aint an issue. Enough normal healing potions and light potions drop from stuff later in the act, do a couple of inner cloister runs and you have more than enough for andariel. Whats the problem with puting a little work in to gather some potions?

You dont need a healer for any part of the game or every team would have a healer. Potions are fine as they are, and act 1 is a joke anyway. a team of untwinked casters can take andy down without to much trouble. Don't say they cant coz it was done yesterday on hc.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:16 pm 

....... way to derail...

the entire potion system is based on vanilla d2.. this isn't bnet... we have way more life on our characters than compared to the bnet kids.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:25 pm 

easiest thing to solve both problems is to have healing pots do 100% hp over X seconds like this:

minor 100%/10 sec
light 100%/9 sec
regular 100%/7 sec

so on and so on

the way to accomplish this is to have heal pots inflict "healing" state that grants hpregen item stat that adheres to a formula. the only downside is that pots can be largely stacked using this method and would promote cheesing.

well its a rough way of putting it, i have to dig through some txt files to see just how its done

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:44 am 
Game Server Host

hunterAS wrote:
....... way to derail...

the entire potion system is based on vanilla d2.. this isn't bnet... we have way more life on our characters than compared to the bnet kids.

Point me to the part I derailed the topic. If you are refering to this:
Quote:
You dont need a healer for any part of the game or every team would have a healer. Potions are fine as they are, and act 1 is a joke anyway. a team of untwinked casters can take andy down without to much trouble. Don't say they cant coz it was done yesterday on hc.

then you obviously cant grasp the point im making.

with regards to the bolded part of your post. If you use potions wisely they work just fine. Usualy a minor healing potion will start to heal you, then the effect will stop before the health it was to recover is regained. If you take a potion, then just before it runs out take another, the amount of potential life that was to be healed will still continue to regenerate instead of the regeneration stopping before it was all healed.
Like I said (you obviously are dodging that part of my post) act 1 is no real challenge and you can farm potions from inner cloister in 5 minutes. You dont even need to do this, you can just fill a cube with minors and make it past easily enough anyway.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:12 pm 

so you mean to tell me... at lvl 34 I have 3.6k life that I'm supposed to sit there and use.... 12 heals basically to heal myself...

super heals.. heal what 300? and in act 3 you can't buy supers.. so I have to farm an entire belt of supers just to heal my lifebar once.... yeah because that works....

I could farm juvs I realize this but seriously heals need to be a % of life... not just a set number. or it needs to be buffed to 75 for minors 150 for lights 250 for heals 500 for greats 750 for supers megas 1000 ultras 1500 or 2000

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:16 pm 

as is suggested every season:

take out juvs
or all potions might be cool too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:13 pm 
Game Server Host

hunterAS wrote:
so you mean to tell me... at lvl 34 I have 3.6k life that I'm supposed to sit there and use.... 12 heals basically to heal myself...

super heals.. heal what 300? and in act 3 you can't buy supers.. so I have to farm an entire belt of supers just to heal my lifebar once.... yeah because that works....

Super heal potions drop often enough in a3 so you should be able to collect them as you are questing. The only time you should have to farm juvs is for an act boss.

Potions are low in the shops so they can be used as a last resort. Enough potions drop from enemys. Try lifeleech, that`ll save you needing to use potions on trash and you can save your supers and juvs for bosses

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:53 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
hunterAS wrote:

Super heal potions drop often enough in a3 so you should be able to collect them as you are questing. The only time you should have to farm juvs is for an act boss.

Potions are low in the shops so they can be used as a last resort. Enough potions drop from enemys. Try lifeleech, that`ll save you needing to use potions on trash and you can save your supers and juvs for bosses

okay your not understanding.. even if I go from town to meph which should be possible and pick up every single super heal...

to replenish my life from 1 to max would take 16 super heals.. in act 3... that is ridiculous.. and they dont heal fast enough... it needs to be based on a percentage of life instead of a set point

I'm also a fury druid.. I went for life buffs first... but I do have feral rage plus plenty of leech.... but im sorry at bosses its not going to keep up with what i need......

seriously... I don't even understand why ur arguing this point.. it should be changed....

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:17 pm 
Game Server Host

why change something that already works? people can get past without bigger pots so why make things easier? If you cant cope without buying super heals in act 3 just say so. :roll:

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:19 am 

I'm saying super heals aren't enough in act 3.....

thats my point it heals 300..... my life was around 3600... do the math thats 12 slots out of 16 on my belt just to heal a bar of life.... and the fact they heal so damn slow... the potion system is meant for vanilla d2... not HU.. it needs changed

who here honestly besides rage doesn't agree?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:05 am 
Game Server Host

the more you have in vit, the more chance there is for potions to heal double... your barb will be getting 600 per super heal.
PureRage-DoD wrote:
If you cant cope without buying super heals in act 3 just say so. :roll:

HunterAS wrote:
I'm saying super heals aren't anough in a3...

thats funny coz we managed without supers just fine. They were enough in act 5 too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:12 pm 

I don't think the main concern is that the game is too difficult, and people blame crappy potions. To my knowledge, the potion system has been as it is for quite a few ladders, and people got by. What I notice as the main problems concerning health pots is they are decent for the first few levels, then for any class vita-whoring or a barb/druid, they become useless. Last ladder I had a decently geared singer with ~14k life with no Oak. With that much life, even Ultra Heal potions were a waste, it took far too many of them over far too long of a time to fill up my bulb. This problem starts occurring even in normal due to inaccessibility to strong enough potions.

I understand that its not a huge problem, it probably doesn't even cross most peoples minds, but from a balance point of view, the healing potions are very underpowered. Compare them to runewords. There are 108 (I think) runewords in this mod, most are pretty useful, but then there are also some that are not. It doesn't make the game harder by there existing an underpowered runeword, but its still something that should be addressed. Either increase its function, or get rid of it. The same could be said about healing potions.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:02 am 

Actually, the closer your vit is to 200 the higher chance you have of a double heal. Anything under/above that scales equally downward.

Offline Profile