Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Post subject: Level challenges
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm 
Game Server Host

What do you like and not like about each one? I'm working on maps now but I've got to rebuild each one mechanically from the ground up so let me know your thoughts. Same goes for the maps, what do you like/not like about each one.

Level challenge 3 will be raised to 95 and the rewards changed.

Level Challenge 2 planned mechanic changes:
muleofal wrote:
Have a challenge boss be fully immune. He has 6 minions, each one immune to one specific element. You kill a particular minion, it removes that immunity from the challenge boss for 10 seconds (you kill the fire immune minion, the boss loses his fire immunity). After 20 seconds, that minion is respawned.

Thoughts on a mechanic like that?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Level challenges
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:02 pm 

The whirlwind damage from the norm challenge is insane, but other than that, he seems to really do no damage. It's just face tank and hope you don't get WW'd. I never looked into this, maybe the crit chance is too high or just the WW level is too high.

I don't even understand the nightmare one, something about killing clay golems or the boss takes no damage? I never bothered reading about it, I just kept running around until I got it done. Seems almost impossible to solo on a first run through since it seems like 1 person has to keep pulling and killing golems while the other tries to tank the boss?

Hell challenge is basically impossible now with less than 3 people. Maybe a pre-nerf Bow Zon who was geared to the tits could do it in 1.5 but now it seems like there's just no way anyone could, if you somehow even made it past the adds. If this is going to stay super difficult I would raise the max level to 98 or 99 to give people more time to do it.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:11 pm 

Bring back your challenges from Netherworld Reign :twisted:

Norm and nightmare are fine I think, maps included. The only issue I see is they are pretty redundant (drag boss to X spot, boss loses immune). The hell one is not even worth the attempt on HC last I checked, especially for it's rewards. It's a great concept though - it's not as if you can just slowly clear, exit when in danger, and continue on. I really like the respawn aspect of it. Not a fan of the invisible map myself, rather it just be one long path to the boss. Maybe put the boss in a separate room.

Your endurance challenge in NR was cool. Maybe you can draw some inspiration from Median or other mods in terms of ideas for specific challenges.

Also, this is more personal experience and preference: I enjoyed Aftermath's cow level. Basically just a big map with 6 sub bosses, whom each drop a specific quest item. Once you cube all 6 quest items, you get a weapon with a curse proc to clear the perma-immune cow king. One person attacks with the weapon, another does damage to the boss once the immunities are down (only a short time frame per proc). Pretty good quest-style concept that involved several bosses and teamwork. Maybe incorporate some type of multi-level quest type challenge for one of them?

Last edited by muleofal on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:25 pm 

Yeah I never got that far in HC but if I did there's no way I'd ever try the hell challenge.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 pm 
Game Server Host

Hell challenge will have no level cap but it is the only one with only minor changes expected, damage and density will be rebalanced
Nightmare challenge will change mechanically.
Normal Challenge will change mechanically and thematically.

RE: Survival challenge. that is planned for the soulmancer quest. This quest is being completely changed using level linking rather than a tp from outside town. Soulmancer will only be able to be killed by open wounds, but he will summon 5 random character inspired champions to defend him every minute. You can do this in all 3 difficulties for different rewards.

Legion is another beast entirely.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:59 pm 

Have a challenge boss be fully immune. He has 6 minions, each one immune to one specific element. You kill a particular minion, it removes that immunity from the challenge boss for 10-15 seconds or so (you kill the fire immune minion, the boss loses his fire immunity). After x amount of time, that minion is respawned.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 pm 

I don't know if he plans on using the resist cap string, but if he does, I'm not sure if a fight like that could be done, since the string trumps anything in monstats, and immunities seemed to crash the game until he fixed it for them as well.

I like the idea though, but not for a normal boss, or at least a boss that isn't required to be killed (i.e. samhain) then that sounds good.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:03 pm 
Game Server Host

Imunities are returning to 100%. There are other ways of making monsters immune though such as giving them 100k PDR and MDR and 100%PLR. Imunes are coming back. Every character build has 2+ elements to use so it's less of a problem for small group play.

muleofal wrote:
Have a challenge boss be fully immune. He has 6 minions, each one immune to one specific element. You kill a particular minion, it removes that immunity from the challenge boss for 10-15 seconds or so (you kill the fire immune minion, the boss loses his fire immunity). After x amount of time, that minion is respawned.

Sounds good. I might use that for the challenge 2 boss and it's fairly easy to implement. Good feedback so far, keep it coming. There is plenty of time before I start populating and adding bosses/mechanics. I'm Currently adding maps to get to soulmancer. Once that's done I have changes to the act 5 hells to do to work them into the rescue the barbarians quest.

I'll put current planned suggestions in the OP.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:56 pm 

How would you implement it?
My guess is you create the 6 different minions all with, let's say, -50 all resistances base except for having a +50 resistance to one specific element. And then that minion has a res aura, probably clones of the paladin res auras, giving 100 res to the boss and all minions. That would result in every minion having 50all res/150 resistance into one specific element (immune and unbreakable). You kill off that minion, and the boss loses the immunity.

Example:
Fire minion has -50cold/-50light/-50magic/-50poison/-50physical/+50 fire resistance base. Fire minion has res fire aura giving 100 fire resistance to all minions within 100 yards. Boss and fire minion are immune to fire, all the rest of the elemental minions are not immune, but have 50 fire res when fire minion is alive. Player X kills fire immune minion, removing the aura from the boss until the minion is respawned. Player Y (let's say a fire sorc) can now damage the boss.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:11 pm 
Game Server Host

There are 3-4 methods but the one you posted will be the one I use.

Other options are an aura on the boss that gives 100% all res. Killing the fire minion triggers a BO clone buff on the boss for X seconds that neutralizes the fire resistance stat. Using that method you can control the duration independent of the respawn time of the minion.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:51 pm 

Just did the hell challenge. Fuck mazes that's all.

Offline Profile