Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 am

Post subject: Ads in HU.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:48 pm 

I think it may be a good source of income and could help support additional servers if there were banner advertisements at the top of chat channels. Theres space for it, and blizz does it on bnet for their games and products.

Could find some sponsors and rotate ads to generate some income. :D

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Ads in HU.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:44 pm 

This has to be the best thing Ive ever seen you post, +1 internets for you

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:38 pm 

Looks like they took me up on this. Just saw some banners. :D

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:53 pm 

Cory wrote:

There have always been PVPGN banners up at the top. I think they are default with the gateway software.

I would tread carefully with trying to get revenue from a modded version of Diablo. Seems like it would muck up your legal position a bit if you were profiting from an illegal activity (Blizzard has made itself clear on the legality of running a separate b.net.). This is one of the reasons that I haven't suggested putting a paypal donation link up for the server either.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:11 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Cory wrote:

There have always been PVPGN banners up at the top. I think they are default with the gateway software.

I would tread carefully with trying to get revenue from a modded version of Diablo. Seems like it would muck up your legal position a bit if you were profiting from an illegal activity (Blizzard has made itself clear on the legality of running a separate b.net.). This is one of the reasons that I haven't suggested putting a paypal donation link up for the server either.

Legally, they cannot do squat unless:

1. You are distributing their software for free or reselling it without their permission.
or
2. You are modifying their software with intentions to profit without their permission.

HU requires that you purchase the game from Blizzard, so And since it doesn't require to be purchased from arimyth, we are in the clear on that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 pm 

its illegal in more ways than one...

infact pvpgn isn't even legal so lets just be happy blizzard hasn't came down on this realm yet...

if private servers are illegal.. its safe to assume that making money off the private servers is even more illegal

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:37 pm 

Cory wrote:
2. You are modifying their software with intentions to profit without their permission.

re-read that one carefully and consider how it would apply to HU generating ad revenue.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:08 pm 

It's illegal. This mod in and of itself is illegal. Generating revenue from ads placed within it? Hahaha that's like asking for trouble.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:50 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Cory wrote:

re-read that one carefully and consider how it would apply to HU generating ad revenue.

Well the money isn't coming directly from the people using it, which makes it okay. Its coming from a third party. They are paying for advertising, not for the game itself. There is a big difference.

Not to mention this. If you incorporate Arimyth (costs like $100.00-$200.00, one time fee) they cannot sue any individual, merely the company. And the way companies decide whether or not to sue someone depends on what they stand to gain. A trial would cost them tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. If they win? You claim bankruptcy and they get nothing. And legally no individual associated with the corporation can be touched.

God Bless America.

I've never really heard of Blizzard sewing any individual over modifications, hacks, or anything of the sort though. It costs them more than they will ever get back.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:26 pm 

Cory wrote:
I've never really heard of Blizzard sewing any individual over modifications, hacks, or anything of the sort though. It costs them more than they will ever get back.

http://www.wow.com/2008/07/15/blizzard- ... ot-makers/
http://www.wow.com/2009/10/29/blizzard- ... te-server/

Ultimately it is Terry and Duff's decision though as to whether they want to do something like that. Personally, I would recommend against it as I don't expect the revenue be worth the effort and/or risk.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:57 am 

Quote:

First, it's suing.

Second, they've done it before and they can do it again. While they wouldn't have much to gain, it would stand as a warning to others trying to make money off of diablo 2 private servers. I find it unlikely that they would do it mainly because diablo 2 is clearly no longer their concern, but why risk the entire thing getting shut down for the possibility of a bit of money?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:02 am 

Even ads on the forum would be nice.

It's ridiculous to see how many popular forums there are without ads. It's easy money.

As for in-game ads, it's legal as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:41 am 
Game Server Host

Popular forums are usualy popular due to the lack of annoying ads...

One of the first things stated when you enter a game:
"No commercial purpose is allowed"

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:08 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
Popular forums are usualy popular due to the lack of annoying ads...

One of the first things stated when you enter a game:
"No commercial purpose is allowed"

I hear the chat channel is separate from the game servers...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:09 pm 

Quote:

It's ridiculous to see how many popular forums there are without ads. It's easy money.

Ya all this mod needs is spammed shit in game and ads on the forums. It will make the experience so much better...If you want crap spammed in game, by all means go sit in a bnet game for 5 seconds and watch your screen become totally filled due to spam bots. If others think they will make money off of this mod, don't fuckin think it wouldn't happen.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 pm 

kramuti wrote:
Quote:

Ya all this mod needs is spammed shit in game and ads on the forums. It will make the experience so much better...If you want crap spammed in game, by all means go sit in a bnet game for 5 seconds and watch your screen become totally filled due to spam bots. If others think they will make money off of this mod, don't fuckin think it wouldn't happen.

Um... we aren't talking about in game ads. Those are bots that join and spam their lame item sites that they try selling items for money. Just a simple banner ad at the top of the chat channel where there is already room designed specifically for banner ads. Take the time to read what we are talking about before posting please.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:40 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
Cory wrote:

http://www.wow.com/2008/07/15/blizzard- ... ot-makers/
http://www.wow.com/2009/10/29/blizzard- ... te-server/

Ultimately it is Terry and Duff's decision though as to whether they want to do something like that. Personally, I would recommend against it as I don't expect the revenue be worth the effort and/or risk.

Both of those are WoW. As I remember hundreds of thousands used that bot, and private servers compete with their public servers, which is their main source of income.

As soon as WoW came out they ditched their other games because they realized monthly fees was a cash cow.

Ultimately it comes down to the fact that both of those were hurting their income, as apposed to Diablo 2 or Starcraft or Warcraft 3 where they generate no monthly income.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:47 pm 

how much revenue is it really though? I remember when I looked in to it years ago, the cash was small. Most ads required successful click-thrus to generate $$ and gamers are notorious at not actually buying things. For example - lets say there were Amazon ads on this website. Unless someone actually bought something from amazon through that link, the ad distributor wouldn't give you money.

Times could have changed though, so how much $$ are figuring could be made Cory?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:26 am 

kramuti wrote:

1. Nothing gets spammed
2. Would a simple image at the top of the window in the chat room REALLY bother you? Note: The banners in vanilla bnet never hurt anyone.
3. As for the forums, I really don't think 1 banner would annoy anyone.
4. AdBlock is nice.

And Blue, if done right and not abused, ads can make a lot of money. I've made a relatively decent amount with 1-2 ads on a pointless blog I hosted for a few months.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:59 am 

LmT wrote:
And Blue, if done right and not abused, ads can make a lot of money. I've made a relatively decent amount with 1-2 ads on a pointless blog I hosted for a few months.

Define a lot. $100? $500 $1000 ? What sort of ballpark is reasonable for this community?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:17 am 

blue_myriddn wrote:
LmT wrote:

Define a lot. $100? $500 $1000 ? What sort of ballpark is reasonable for this community?

Hmm, it'd be tough to give and estimate. It all depends how active the forums are (which is tough to tell since not everyone posts but probably view every now and then).

$100 is more than achievable for this community.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:41 pm 

ok, so how do you get this started?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:27 pm 

blue_myriddn wrote:
ok, so how do you get this started?

It all depends on how you want to implement the ads (placement, ad type, where, etc.).

The more info you give me the easier it'll be for me to give you an answer. PM me if you don't think this thread is the right place for whatever information you need to give me.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:40 am 

open to anything - just post up what you suggest and how to get it done.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:40 pm 

The easiest route would be to research Google AdSense and implement it according to your needs/research.

There are other ad publishing services but a lot of them have ridiculous requirements.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

AdSense now on bottom of each forum pages.

Maybe someday I will add another one on top but let's see how this one goes even if I know nobody see it ...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:58 am 
Game Server Host

are these based on the number of times the links are clicked?

if so then i suggest regular forum visiters click each link each day. only takes a few secs

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

PureRage-DoD wrote:
are these based on the number of times the links are clicked?

if so then i suggest regular forum visiters click each link each day. only takes a few secs

Yes it is.

I'm not sure if I want to bother anyone with a big ad on top of the forums, but if some click each day on a ad at the bottom is good for you, I will not put one one top for sure.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:00 pm 
Game Server Host

yeh i clicked a few today, I think puting one at the top would be too much.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:43 pm 

Quote:

Sure way to get banned from AdSense lol..

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:16 pm 
Game Server Host

by clicking on each new add? whats the point in them being there if you cant have people clicking on them...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:33 am 

LmT wrote:
Quote:

Sure way to get banned from AdSense lol..

why is that.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 am 

my guess would be because you are falsifying traffic to the links, clicking for the sole purpose of generating income.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:11 am 

Zikur wrote:
my guess would be because you are falsifying traffic to the links, clicking for the sole purpose of generating income.

Yes.

This is why I told you guys to do your research if you wanted to implement such a system.

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:51 pm 
Game Server Host

Actually, my OH signed up to the freesamples.co.uk one...

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:48 pm 
Game Server Host

Bad Idea...Nuff said.

Offline Profile