Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Smiter / Heal pala guide
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:42 am 

1)fana aura for smiter.
2)I prefer maxing HS rather than smite

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:21 am 

hs will add more damage to smite then the adding hard skill pts.imo smite is a 1 pt skill. with hs and fant then add cb and deadly strike you'll be good.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:26 am 

What's the benefit of smite (vs zeal or other skills)? Or, I guess my main question is how do smiters stay alive during bosses with out leech?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:41 am 

Use Life Tap wand or Dracul`s gloves or Exile rw...or play in a party and y`ll be OK.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:59 am 

I'm personally a Paladin builder... I dont make many other toons.
For best survivability, I recommend maxing Defiance, Holy Shield, Fanatacism. From there you're left with a choice. I noticed the others suggested not to max Smite. You can get by this way, but even with skill bonuses you wont have much of a stun duration which is very handy when you have to divide enemies who heal eachother. I hate it when bloody hierophants heal, stunning them prevents this. I usually decide which Defensive auras I want (which is usually 1 point in Prayer, 1 in Cleansing) Afterwards I head for Zeal. Even as a smiter, you will have life issues and Zeal grants you the opportunity to leach more life than Smite. Its a fast way to heal yourself mid-battle. Even if you max Smite, you will still have enough points to attain a 5 hit Zeal. And I find its a good idea to continuously craft BLOOD gloves as they give you leach, CB, added life and possibly useful skills. For a complete gear list and strategy of development and play, PM me. Happy slaying

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:37 am 

x3ro33 wrote:
What's the benefit of smite (vs zeal or other skills)?
Smite is an auto-hit skill. It ignores boss defense ("Ignore Target Defense" doesn't ignore boss defense). I'm not 100% sure, but it might ignore enemy block too (Easy to verify with a duel).

Fanat is still a good aura to max, but the patch notes already mention that Smite no longer uses ias, so Fanat won't be as important. You might even consider an aura like Might, since I think fewer party members will be using it (Only Chargers like it a lot).

When I played a Smiter, I only put 1 pt into Smite, and didn't have too much trouble. I found their godly defence (maxed defiance and HShield is at least +1500% EDef) gave me a 5% chance to be hit for all of normal and I think most of NM. I then blocked 75% of that 5%. I saved potions for elemental damage (although pally's get high Absorb% relatively easily).

The points I maxed were HShield, Defiance, Conviction (weapon-swap into an Avenger for phys immunes), and Prayer (I've got a soft spot for the Aura-Healer build). My early weapon was an "Insight" scepter to make use of my Prayer, and later a "Lawbringer" scepter to make use of it's Decrep (Merc had that bow with 20% slow, it's a great combo with Decrep) and it's elemental damage (switched to Conviction and Zeal for phys immunes).

A fully-geared Aura-Healer (using mostly Cleansing with a Meditation-item like "Insight") should be able to heal about 700 HP per pulse (350 a second) with about lvl 50 Prayer. I'm told that HBolt healers do about 2k per bolt (probably 6k per second). Aura heals everyone, HBolt heals only the tank. Both setups require gear that makes Smite less useful. Besides, a Smiter is generally the boss-killing tank anyways.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:06 pm 

Quote:

Fanat is still a good aura to max, but the patch notes already mention that Smite no longer uses ias, so Fanat won't be as important. .

:P

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:36 am 

LoDEternity wrote:
I hate it when bloody hierophants heal, stunning them prevents this.

You're a "paladin builder" but don't even bother using conversion? Fuck stunning them, convert them and their delicious prayer over to your side.

Fanat still affects smite speed(as does BoS), however WIAS and OIAS do not. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss fanat anyway, at least 1pt it for your party's sake(conviction too!).

I can't comment too much on healers, though I have played one through the game. I imagine they are pretty useful in an untwinked game, but I definitely wouldn't want one in a small reset party(4 or less players). There are way too many builds that are so much more useful for the party.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:07 pm 

Max Fanat/Holy shield instead of smite/conc. or Even 1 point fanat then max HS/Smite.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:15 pm 

I have played for the last few ladder seasons, but I'm building my first medic pally and had a question regarding the auras.

Are the auras cumulative? I.E. When you run cleansing, does it heal HP like prayer in addition to reducing poison/curses? The same goes for meditation. When it is active are you healing/cleansing AND getting mana recovery or just mana recovery?

As a healer, I just wonder which aura should be active (prayer vs cleansing vs mediation).

Also - I understand that a merc with an Insight RW would stack with my aura?

I would appreciate any guidance on this (and what to do with "leftover" skill points.

Thanks -
Circe

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:31 pm 
Game Server Host

the heal from prayer will stack the reduce duration wont, so 1 in cleansing then using insight weapon for meditation, you will get the heal from prayer + the heal added to meditation + the cleansing added to meditation + the mana regeneration.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:11 am 

Isn't this thread called smiter/HEALER?

I see mostly smiter talk with nothing in prayer.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:22 am 

anyway im called a noob healer

no one understand that i got only lvl 5 holybolt without ++ skill items

what ever... i only hear all healers skill foh bla bla bla

Smite is cool makes fun and dmg goes better and better

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:14 am 

LOL
you have disgraced my build with level 5 holy bolt.
When I was in a game and somebody actually asked me if I was playing the 'new' smite/heal build that i ran last season, i facepalmed. You want to be a healer and rely on + skills for your holy bolt, yet you want to be a smiter/tank with caster gear?
You have it backwards my friend.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:49 am 

Getting +2 skills over +3 skill tab only loses a few skills in the end. It might be harder to get an ammy and circlet with +2 PallySkills, but my point is that losing a point in Smite, Prayer or whatever you're using isn't the end of the world. You're obviously more spread out though, I hope you still manage to have some fun with the char.

Here's some other novelty pally builds where you don't need to use a traditional skills if you don't want to:

Charger - The EDamage% on Charge is almost entirely synergy based. Even getting extra levels in Charge won't make much of a difference. Consider using this skill while running Defiance, Prayer, HFreeze, Conviction, or Salvation. Just get yourself a really big weapon and +Dmg sources (charms, etc). Just keep in mind that Chargers aren't the easiest characters to use, adn the ulitmate fail for AoEffect killing.

Convictor - These guys are very similar to Avengers, but they use Zeal with lots of elemental damage from gear (Mav's glove for 250-500, Mav's belt for another 250-500, "Voice of Reason" scepter for lvl 16 Blizzard on strike (sadly no ias on this though :cry:), Dragon hat with Metero or strike/struck, Courpsemourn or Blackhades armor, "Ice" weapon with lvl50 FNova on strike, Elementalist rings/ammy, Tiamat shield, etc. With Conviction, even those unsynergized skills do a bit of damage and stack up a fair bit (particularly meteor). Off-weapon ias can make up for some of the slower stuff usually. I find this build pretty fun, but completely dependent on equipment. They spawn massive numbers of counters though, so aren't good against bosses. They are decent against trash, but mostly just to hold their own. My nifty experiences with them: stacking 6 Blizzards at once on a named critter (died as fast as if I were a cookie-cutter build), stacking dozens of Meteors (merc had that dragon hat too) and launching 2 or 3 meteors at the same time (shame their level isn't very high though).

And you've already played wround with Smiters and know that they can use just about any support aura they want, Fanatacism isn't mandatory.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:12 pm 
Game Server Host

if you want a decent speed smite you need fanat since only skill ias affects it not (fanat or BoS)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:13 pm 
Game Server Host

PureRage-DoD wrote:
if you want a decent speed smite you need fanat since only skill ias affects it now (fanat or BoS)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:16 am 

hmm so can someone be more clear about this build thread? it seems not all agree with the build.

im making a healer smiter at the moment only lvl 16,

will be maxing

prayer and holybolt for sure and only 1 point in fant as im planning on running prayer pretty must constant
maxed defiance and holy shield

so do i need max smite or not?

nebs

*edit* on another note what would be best to make insight in?
a scepter with 3 holybolt or 3 prayer?
thx

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:40 am 

Here's a link to a Smiter/Aura-healer build story. It's not a writeup, but it contains all the information of a writeup. The story is written with surprisinly little sarcasm.

http://arimyth.planetdiablo.gamespy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5158

The gist of the story is that Smiter\Aura-healer isn't a strong build, since you're doing a little of two builds that aren't overpowered by themselves. The hybrid build described was still effective against bosses though, so maybe if it had been made with a merc that clears trash better, then you'd be alright. The build would have been able to solo NM Baal around lvl 85 except for the lag and bone prisons allowing Baal to heal.

There's not a lot of overpowered CBlow gear in HU, so smiters are at a large disadvantage if not using a strong aura like Fanatacism. You could probably make the build with at least 15% CBlow throughout most of the early game, and then something like 35% CBlow by the endgame.

Offline Profile