Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:06 am

Post subject: Why do I get rolled so hard?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:34 pm 

Druid gets steam rolled in NM.

Level 72 fury druid, 20 lycan/Werewolf/Fury, shooting for maxed oak, rest in feral rage.

Gavel of Pain
Steelskull
Magnus Gloves
Bladebuckle
Goblin Toe
Boneflesh

Rings vary from Raven frost to shock absorbers or some rare ones that I have depending where I am.

What can I get/do to stop dying? (Other than not charging into a room full of newbs)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Why do I get rolled so hard?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:01 pm 

Check for a breakpoint with your weapon and plop a shael or amethyst in it, as I'm pretty sure it will drop you quite a few frames. Boneflesh sucks, so does bladebuckle. Aim for a shaft and string, gives you tons of dr%. Magnus Skin gloves also suck as ias from equipment does very little when you are shapeshifted. Swap for tri res, or something with cb. Goblin Toe is good for the cb, but beyond that offers you absolutely nothing. Swap for tri res if you need resistances. Stealskull is largely useless as you should get plenty of leech from feral rage. Try a rockstopper or something. Rockstopper + shaft + string = 50 dr%, not to mention good res and life and leech.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:22 pm 
Game Server Host

re-roll, you maxed werewolf. use death crafted weaps when you remake

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:34 pm 

PureRage-DoD wrote:
re-roll, you maxed werewolf. use death crafted weaps when you remake

Not to sound like a scrub or anything, but why should he re-roll?
Fury is pretty much a 60 point build. Lycan, Fury, Oak. What else is he supposed to put his points into? Maxing Werewolf at least gives a very nice AR bonus and a decent defense bonus. Depending on gear, I believe the AR bonus from Werewolf would probably out-damage the synergy for Feral Rage (not like you couldn't potentially max both).

?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:34 pm 

my fury wolf had very minor +ar and not much dext (maybe 60 with all gear) and was furying at 6k ar. this was with 1 point wolf. dont max wolf. it wont outdamage maxing feral at all. with decent gear a wolf should be able to attain 15k-25k AR with 1 pointing wolf.

with fury your options besides lycan fury and oak are:

- feral (synergy for fury)
- maul (good chargeup for damage)
- another summon like bear

with a possible 113 points, those 3 main skills take 60, leaving you with 53. thats enough to max 2 of those 3 and almost the third (save a couple prereq points).

the defense bonus is 5% per skill on wolf, not very significant. you can vastly outdo that with absolute zero staff (frozen armor oskill) or a ctc frozen armor craft.

you can max wolf if you want, i just dont see any benefits to it. the AR from fury alone grants you enough to hit all trash at 95% even with crap gear on, slap one uber thyst in your weapon and its definitely enough (and any shifters should be putting all thysts in weapon...on weapon speed is the only ias counted for shapeshifting attacks), and the defense bonus as mentioned above is meh. i think the points are better suited for other skills.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:49 pm 

Why is hitting trash relevant to a Fury Druid? It's not.

You need good AR to consistently hit big bosses (the reason to make a fury druid) and you need lots of it.

Also, why would you need a Bear? You're a boss killing character, and a weak summon (I say weak because Fury druids don't accumulate as many +skills as other druid builds) for a boss? In best case scenario, you'd run any major boss with a Necromancer, who provides better summons than you do. That and the fact you'll take hits better than any bear would.

As a melee character, unlike a Rabies druid who benefits from a strong bear, you will have a physical damage source for leech. Also you'll be able to focus on filling your entire inventory with max life/ar charms instead of skillers.

I don't see why Feral Rage would even be considered. 200% off-weapon ED for 20 points is pretty lack-luster. Maul I can kind of understand, it gives 455% ED at level 20, and is not static like Feral Rage. Werewolf gives a 525% AR bonus at level 20, rivaling fury. It's also not static like Feral Rage is. Having that extra AR opens your gear up to having more life charms, and makes your gear a bit more flexible.
I wouldn't count Werewolf out like it was a bad option, because it's not. In a lot of ways, it's better than maxing Feral Rage.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:10 pm 

you make some viable points, but every high level fury druid ive talked to both sc and hc have it 1-pointed. some things though that i dont agree with:

1) "best case scenario, youll have a necro" - not every necro has summons, not every scenario will be "best case". the bear is a great way to take heat off of you in sticky situations, especially considering oak will be there to help it tank

2) youll be hitting bosses at 90+% with 1 point wolf easily granted you geared/statted your druid well. if you arent hitting bosses at that level at 1 point wolf, then your gear probably isnt good enough, or the stats arent put in place well. fury can get to almost 1000% AR... that should be more than enough.

3) the max/ar/life charms only adds to my view that you dont need maxed wolf! i dont see how having all that means you need more AR%. like i said, my guy was hitting 6k ar with i think a total of 30 dext and 42 flat AR from equipment and charms, and this was a 1 point wolf. throw in several hundred AR from charms and several hundred AR from thysts in weapon (this is a no brainer for shifters), and a high level druid with 1 point wolf will reach 90%+ on a lot of bosses.

again, im not saying maxing it is terribly useless. i just think your skill points are better off in other areas. feral may not even need the maxing either...lycan/oak/fury/maul are definites though. every fury build should have them.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:11 am 
Game Server Host

I prefer the build of:

Max Fury
Max Lycan
Max Oak
Max HoW
Max Maul

You will usualy have an Amethyst or 2 in your weapon for a nice boost. and AR is usualy a non existent issue with the weapon choices. The speed boost from wolf is meaningless against the power of on weapon IAS.

That skill placement gives you options and a strong HoW to raise your Def and AR waaay up if you happen across another druid on your travels.

I maxe a pure HoW fury druid and he was deadly, I rarely ran oak even without another druid. The def bonus and the massive AR boost and damage hike gave me massive leech ability against bosses and maxed maul really beefed out his damage.
As a first build it can be usefull to max werewolf but there are much better options out there.

Offline Profile