Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

Post subject: amazon guided arrow pierce
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 pm 

Does Pierce have a max or can I get 100% pierce? Is it nerfed in any difficulties or verse any bosses?

I think with my testing my low lvl Amazon that pierce works on guided arrow but maybe only once and so the max number of times I can hit a monster with guided arrow is 2. Is that correct?

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: amazon guided arrow pierce
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:52 pm 

I haven't tested with v2.1 specifically, but I've done some tests with GArrow, and it's a bit odd (the arrow graphic doesn't always mean that the missile is alive and hitting things). That side, I haven't seen a way to nerf it (or %Pierce) with Difficulty or vs specific targets, so maxing your %Pierce at 100% is a reasonable strategy.

One thing to keep in mind is that although GArrow ignores enemy defense, it can still miss (the graphic will only seems to disappear if the target blocks or the missile's duration is finished) since the ToHit formula considers the level difference between the player and monster.

My testing was over a year ago, so I don't remember too many details for determining when the arrow graphic was still alive and hitting things (it might be dead after the first hit regardless of the graphic), but I vividly remember seeing dozens of arrow graphics (I had set their duration to about 60 seconds) swarming a Fallen while doing nothing.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:22 pm 

100% pierce will make it pierce and attempt to hit for the entire duration of the missile which is why it's pretty much mandatory to have. I know if it's blocked it dies and most bosses/minibosses have a 20-50% chance to block. It can hit way more than twice but it depends on the distance you were from your target when fired. At point blank range you would get a lot of hits. I don't remember the missile duration but obviously longer travel time means fewer hits.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:28 pm 

Thanks for the response. I have a few more questions

Does hell have a -physical damage resist% penalty?
Does hell have a -magic damage resist% penalty?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:01 pm 

Gobo wrote:
Thanks for the response. I have a few more questions

Does hell have a -physical damage resist% penalty?
Does hell have a -magic damage resist% penalty?

Also what are the caps for MR and DR%?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:04 pm 

NM and Hell resistance penalties are not applied to Phys or Magic resistances. The d2Mod.ini file for HUv2.1 shows 50% being the cap for PhysRes, 75% for other resistances (+Max%Res will not go above this cap) (I'm not sure if Magic is included with this or not, and I don't have the time to set up a test). The character screen's stats for Phys and magic resistance only show the amount of those two stats you've collected, not the amount being applied (i.e. you can get them higher than 50% or 75% and they won't show a cap). Considering that enemy curses can reduce your Phys and Magic resistances (these effects are properly shown on your char screen), it's not a bad idea to go above the cap if it doesn't hurt your character too much.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:26 am 

Brevan wrote:
NM and Hell resistance penalties are not applied to Phys or Magic resistances. The d2Mod.ini file for HUv2.1 shows 50% being the cap for PhysRes, 75% for other resistances (+Max%Res will not go above this cap) (I'm not sure if Magic is included with this or not, and I don't have the time to set up a test). The character screen's stats for Phys and magic resistance only show the amount of those two stats you've collected, not the amount being applied (i.e. you can get them higher than 50% or 75% and they won't show a cap). Considering that enemy curses can reduce your Phys and Magic resistances (these effects are properly shown on your char screen), it's not a bad idea to go above the cap if it doesn't hurt your character too much.

Thanks for the response. Do you know if any bosses have pierce (other then the obvious amp, conviction, LR)? It doesn't seem like the webpages folder is up to date. For example act2 duriel uses shockwave but I don't see that listed under her spells. Also someone on the server said that all bosses have a "convert damage to ____% magic damage" modifier on all there spells so that they always do magic damage, is this true?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:44 pm 

I have a few webpage folders related to 2.1 (one was probably from the Testing phase), and they both agree for Duriel's resistances and skills, so I'd guess there were no changes client-side.

When monsters have Pierce, it's usually given to them via MonProps. Duriel's show that he has no Pierce at any difficulty, and only has the ShockWave counter in NM and Hell (I'm not sure, but it looks like the damage it does in NM|Hell is about 2.5k|4k).
His WarCry counter is the same skill as the Barb, so it's doing Magic Damage (Norm|NM|Hell damage about 100|400|1200).
His Jab skill is the same as the Amazon's (so +150%EDmg).
His FreezeAura is the same skill a unique monster could have when AuraEnchanted (lowers your cold res by 5%+1%/4Lvl (e.g. 22% for level 68 NM Duriel)).
His Bash clone skill has +100%EDmg and the capacity to do Magic damage (but it doesn't).
His Leap skill is just a nerfed clone of LeapAttack with +20%EDmg.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm 

since we don't use the data folder anymore how do I go about extracting monprops and the other files from the HU files?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:40 pm 

There should be a monprops webpage among the 20 webpages, but if you'd like to extract the files from patch_d2.mpq anyways, then any MPQ editor/extractor tool would be fine (just search online for MPQ extractor or something similar).

I've used Ladik's editor, which seemed relatively user friendly, but I couldn't figure out how to compress the MPQs with it.

I've also used WinMPQ, which didn't seem very user friendly, but does a good job of compressing them (from about 800MB (uncompressed .wav files) down to 300MB).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 pm 

So for example Mephisto, only does Lightning damage (all his spells but blizzard) and cold damage (from blizzard) and I shouldn't be expecting any Magic damage? All the spells in MonProp are on-hit spells. Does he have any spells that he casts without having to be hit?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:14 pm 

Monstats file (the BossStats webpage holds some of this information for creatures labeled as bosses) shows the spells that monsters could use (although their AI determines if they use them and when).

MonProps act kinda like an item for the monster that changes with Difficulty Level, so all of them will be event-based (the on-death portals, or get-hit counters, etc) or passive (e.g. extra resistances or pierce) stuff. The unique hats given to most Bosses in HU carry similar effects (there's a limit of 6 monProps, but a unique item could carry another 12), but the stats from the Hat are the same on every Difficulty.

With these things in mind, Mephisto can cast these spells:
PrimeSpear (Magic damage)
Prime Lightning Spike (Lightning damage)
Thundergeddon (Lightning damage)
PrimeTeeth (Magic damage)
SoulOrb (Magic Damage)
Prime Lightning Spike (exact same as above; Mrawskrad might have doubled it so it's cast in a different situation)

Mephisto has these MonProps in Hell Difficulty:
+10% Cast Level 40 Vortex on Hit-Hurt (Lightning Damage)
+10% Cast Level 10 Lightning Fury on Hit-Hurt (Lightning Damage)
+12% Cast Level 40 ZakarumLightning on Struck (Lightning Damage)
+16% Cast Level 40 ThunderWave on Hit-Hurt (Lightning Damage)
+6% Cast Level 40 MonBlizzard on Hit-Hurt (Cold Damage)
+6% Cast Level 10 Cripple on Hit-Hurt (-50% to Damage (not applied to base damage))

I don't recall finding any difference between On Struck or on Hit-Hurt, they seem like different labels for the same event.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm 
Game Server Host

Hit-hurt is triggered by anything that isn't a "soft hit" missile, including spells.
On Struck is triggered only by skills that carry weapon damage, so melee/bow/throwing weapons, but not spells. The hit-hurt is just a clone of on struck with changed events to absorbdamage rather than struck by missile/melee in isc if i remember right.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am 

I'm curious what the goal with hell duriel was when she was designed. Is a melee supposed to stand a chance? A Barbarian can fumble its way through because you can attack while moving with WW, but a paladin or bear druid seem to be quite useless. I'd be curious what other groups did to kill her this patch as she is quite a beast. Wondering if its just a gear check for Melee's are if Melee's aren't supposed to be much use with her and you should just try to hit and run with range

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:39 am 

HU is intended to be a challenging mod (for games like this, that usually means you need to figure out the details and gear around that), and the realm version is intended to be played with a few players in a team, but you might be able to find gear that fills in some roles the other players would fill.

For a Paladin facing Duriel (I'm guessing the big hurdle is getting enough HP to survive a big hit like that 4k Shockwave), it would be a good idea to get some PhysRes (Shockwave is phys damage), and maybe get some source of the Weaken curse (Weaken reduces phys damage generally, and most phys-dmg spells have been soft-coded to consider this (Duriel's Shockwave happens to be one of them)). In HUv2.1 Weaken reduces damage by 15% (25% if maxed LowerResistance synergy), which would negate about 600-1000 damage from Shockwave. The webpages show that a Skull'd Shield and maybe Ber'd Armor/Hat would be decent sources of PhysRes, although PhysRes seems like a pretty common mod on Uniques (77 sources just looking for "Resist Phys" on the Unique Armor webpage). Lastly, keep an eye out for +%HP or flat +HP mods (Not +HP/Lvl or +Vit (unless they're really high) since they aren't buffed by +%HP), or just trying to level up (probably not a good option after Normal/NM) and raise your Vitality more.

If those three methods of getting over a big physical hit aren't enough, then that does sound a bit unfair. Consider adding a comment to the current HUv2.1 Feedback thread (maybe include your character build,relevant stats (E.G. PhysRes, HP, Weaken% in this case), team builds, and then request some nerf (be specific, like "-20% Duriel Shockwave Damage")) to whatever is giving you grief.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:42 pm 

How does the game apply %damage to undead/demons when its on the weapon.

I am guessing that it gets added as a kill %ed so if I have 100% ed from WW and 100% to demons from weapon, I would just have 200% ed to demons when using WW.

or when its on the weapon does it add to the base damage of the weapon before any skill ED%?

Is the stat being on the weapon vs on armor any different?

edit: from my googling skills I'm going to assume it counts as off-weapon ED%, even if its on the weapon.

Offline Profile