Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:21 am

Post subject: Sorc ground to a HALT at Duriel.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:01 am 

Well, teleport did well in avoiding being hit by Duriel's leap attack, but whenever I had the chance to attack him, he's up in my face again.

Fireball seems to be a no-go in this event, I can't seem to get 2-3 hits on him before I have to teleport away. As for the cold damage being taken, I have a FSapphire in her Eyeless shield (bringing my # of x-sockets to 1 again) and that seems to do OK.

Should I sacrifice some resistance to have a 3 FDiamond-socket helm? I don't want to remove my hawkmail.

(I have rubies in my lv.20 orb)

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Sorc ground to a HALT at Duriel.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:29 am 

I don't know if this will work, and it may not be possible since your char doesn't have stat or skill points to distribute. Also, it requires so much stuff that it would be a lame waste of time if the idea failed. It'd be great to try if you don't mind using a character editor to create some diamonds.

I'm under this impression: You're playing solo with a FBall sorc in the Solo Edition. I understand you'd like to use Hawkmail, but I can't think of a way to defeat Duriel using that armor. You'll just have to take the dip in your damage by 10% so that you can become nearly immune to Dury's damage. If you need to keep the armor as part of a bet, then I guess omit the armor-parts of my suggestion

My advice: Craft either Emerald armor (more dr/mdr) or Saphire Armor (lvl 9 FrozenArmor (4 dr/mdr and 300% EDef) on struck).

Add 4 flawless Diamonds to both hat and armor (6x8 = 48 dr/mdr).

With those diamonds and FrozenArmor, your defence should be high enough to significantly reduce the amount of hits coming from Dury (I'm guessing about 14% to be hit). With about 50 or so dr/mdr, I'm very confident you will be immune to his Earthquake and cold attacks (so cold res shouldn't matter). Both of those attacks do numerous small hits that are unblockable. You'll also reduce Dury's fury attack by quite a bit.

You must be against a wall tanking Dury so that he can't knock you back and then leap on you.

The part where the plan can fail:
If you get hit less than 1 time in 4 seconds, then Dury's Fury will fizzle, so he'll attack slower and with reduced damage. Otherwise his attacks will gain speed and damage and will significantly drain your HP.

The plan can be recovered if he hits you roughly 1 time in 2 seconds. Just get a shield with high block (probably by magic-rolling Deflection mod), and toss Eld runes or flawless Amythests into it. Get Dex via charms I guess so that you can block at least 50%. At your low level, you won't need a large amount of Dex, so that's nice.

Your armor/hat can be re-used against Mephy, although tanking him isn't as useful.

Other items to consider that would reduce Diamonds):
Nagle rings (up to 4 dr/mdr), Cathan rings (6 dr)
Tancred's ammy (8 dr/mdr)
SteelClash shield (5 dr/mdr)
Nightsmoke Belt (3 dr/mdr)
Treads of Cthon boots (10 dex for block), Sander's boots (10 dex), GoblinToe (4 dr/mdr, I think this can't drop in A2 though)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:40 pm 

I might as well drop the Hawkmail. Right now she's lv.33 so she can only use flawless diamonds right now. I am using PlugY, and when I cube gems they are left in the shared stash if anyone needs them.

My frenzy barb (35) and flame artsin (34) got through without much trouble. Perhaps I have to rethink this build a bit.

EDIT: I had to take a few Healing potions but with Tancred's, 3/3 Nagelring and a Venom Ward (10 MDR) I was able to bring down Duriel. It didn't matter that my Lightning res dropped from 75 to 61, as Duriel doesn't use lightning.

btw: I stood against the wall as you told me :D that did the trick.. I was a fool running around earlier :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:31 pm 

NewBastige wrote:
I was a fool running around earlier :)
Don't put down running, it's a godly strategy for a Blazer, and allows her to do exceedingly well in some tough situations. In general, if you can outrun it, then you can kill it. Archers can be a problem, but there are ways to deal with them too.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:47 pm 

I'm in the midst of a dedicated fireball/meteor build which is pretty dangerous (there are often fire immunes) so I have to try to keep my merc alive when possible when I do see immunes.

But true, for a Blazer you can do quite a bit of chaos leading monsters into your flames.. :)

Offline Profile