Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 am

Post subject: Mephisto Multiplayer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:43 am 

Mephisto on Multiplayer... how the FUCK are you supposed to beat him?? :( Even with 3 of my friends we can only get him down to about half life at best. Advice please! :(

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Mephisto Multiplayer
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:59 am 

What kind of chars?

One tip is that you "need" amp or decrep. And dr/mdr really helps.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:55 am 

You should have something that generates Amplify Damage. You should also, like abovesaid, stock on DR+MDR (diamonds in helms/armor) to lower the damage being taken.

High resists shouldn't hurt either.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:07 am 

I didn't have much trouble with him in NM, or Norm. Which difficulty of Mephy are we talking about? That would determine gear choices.

Mephy's damage is primarily magic, then phys, then cold (the little easily-dodged-at-range cold ball).

Counter magic via: Emerald-craft shield (for norm mephy this is about the only res magic% in HU, but at least it doesn't prevent using Diamonds, which are the real source of -MagicDmg in norm), Glassglare and SoulDrinker (mainly for NM and Hell Mephy. Both of these have 10% magic absorb, so decrease dmg by 40%).

Counter phys via: Diamonds (norm), dr% (shaftstop, "Knight's Vigil", VampGaze), and Decrep or Weaken curse (NM and Hell)

Counter cold via: Diamonds and cold res (norm), % cold absorb (NM and Hell), Weaken Curse

As mentioned previously, Mephy's mildly leachable, so a leaching tank with AmpDmg on mephy will essentially have massive amounts of HP. For a non-leaching tank a healer works well.

In normal, 4x flawless diamonds in hat and armor is 48 dr/mdr, which nearly removes all of mephy's small hits (magic dmg, hurricane), and drastically reduces his other attacks. My pally used about 4 Superheals when he faced him, but he was also twinked out sillly-strong.

Mephy's high phys dmg makes him a total push-over for a Thorns build. I had a ThornBarb solo him in at least NM (don't remember playing that char much in Hell, but I think I must have since I declined using that lvl 88 shield). About 10000% thorns is needed for such a build to be noticeably effective (dual Suicide-Branch wands is 6000%). In that case, maximize your cold/magic reduction but not your phys. Amp Mephy for a fast kill (60-120 seconds depending on people in the game).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:29 pm 

:O Sounds like an excellent strategy Brevan!

And we are playing on Normal. I'm a Necro with Golem Focus. The other three are Paladin tank, Martial Arts Assassin, and Barbarian.

As I thought, there isn't much I can do besides cast AmpDmg or Decrepify. Even with Golem Mastery at 26 they can't hope to stand up for more than 3 seconds. I was re-casting Iron Golem whenever I could in hopes the thorns on it would do any kind of dmg to Mephisto.

Anyway, it sounds like with a decently geared tank, we can do it. I'll tell my friends and hopefully beat Mephisto with them soon. Thanks guys :)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:46 am 

Spam clay golem, not iron. Clay golem slows enemies when it hits them.

Offline Profile