Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am

Post subject: Can someone explain "% damage goes to mana"
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:57 pm 

I was curious as to how this property works. You see it on some items and "dun jewels" and ith runes. Can someone explain this calculation works. I couldn't find which text file it was in.

Thanks,

-Delta

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Can someone explain "% damage goes to mana"
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 pm 

"Damage taken goes to mana" modifiers add to your mana pool a percentage of the damage you take. Example: A character with a "10% damage taken goes to mana" mod is hit with an attack doing 50 damage. 50 health points will be removed from your health pool. 10% of those 50 points will now add to your mana pool.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:10 am 

So it's not based on the damage you receive, but the damage that hits your actual HP?

Meaning on ES it would be utterly useless since only 5% of the damage hits your red orb?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:07 am 

Taken from 'things you should know about diablo2', by Ernir
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?to ... 8&sid=3000

39. How do Energy Shield and "Damage taken goes to Mana" work together?

I didn't add this section until now simply because I do not use the Energy Shield spell on any of my characters, so I have no practical experience with it. It is correct on technical issues, however. Thanks to Gta-maloy] for confirming it.

First of all, the "damage taken goes to mana" mod found on items is NOT the same as the ES damage conversion. "Damage taken goes to mana" modifiers add to your mana pool a percentage of the damage you take.
Example: A character with a "10% damage taken goes to mana" mod is hit with an attack doing 50 damage. 50 health points will be removed from your health pool. 10% of those 50 points will now add to your mana pool.

End result: Life -50, mana +5.

However, when a Sorceress using ES is hit, some of the damage is subtracted from your mana pool instead of your health pool. The percentage of the total damage converted to the mana pool is dependant on your ES level, and it maxes out at 95%, at ES slevel 40. The ratio at which the damage is converted depends on points spent in Telekinesis. The base ratio is 200%, or 2:1. With no points in TK, every health damage point converted spends 2 mana. Each point spent in TK decreases that ratio by 6.25%, bringing it down to 100% = 1:1 at level 16. Notice that the TK bonus is a synergy bonus, only hard points will work.

Which means that if a Sorceress using a level 40 ES with 16 hard points in TK is hit for 100 damage, her mana will absorb 95% of the damage, while the health pool absorbs 5%.

End result: Life -5, mana -95.

If that Sorceress also had 20% damage taken goes to mana from gear, 20% of those 5 points that were actually removed from her health pool would be added to her mana pool. That's one point. Not very impressive.

End result: Life -5, mana -94.

You can see that making an "immortal Sorceress" by combining "damage taken goes to mana" and Energy Shield is impossible.

Miscellaneous information about Energy Shield:
ES is not affected by resistances, it takes 100% damage at all times, no more or less. That can be good, and bad. Its good in the way that you don't have to worry about maxing your resistances as much as most other character types, and enemies that depend on the ability to lower your resistances will be sent home crying. It is bad in the way that you can not raise the resistances of your ES above 0%.

Note that ES does not stop poison damage. The negative regeneration rate from the Open Wounds modifier can not be absorbed either. Be careful when those are around.

And to quote PeterPaulRubens:

Q u o t e:

the real bummer of combing DTM and ES is that DTM's mana boost is applied to your mana BEFORE the mana loss from ES is calculated. In other words, your mana can still be reduced to zero by a hit. DTM won't ever save you from having NO mana.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:31 am 

Angel wrote:
So it's not based on the damage you receive, but the damage that hits your actual HP?

Meaning on ES it would be utterly useless since only 5% of the damage hits your red orb?

That is my understanding, yes

Offline Profile