Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Post subject: Player settings questions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:04 am 

There are a lot of misconceptions about how the game works for player settings, many people believe a lot of different things.

The way I thought it worked is it ran under two different variables:
X = time of spawn strength
Y = current players in the game strength

The game claims to always run at 3 player level difficulty, but there is arguably a huge difference between a single spawned unit and a 3 spawned unit, so this leads me to believe there are seperate rules that define a bosses strength.

So Y will always be at least 3, but X can be as low as 1, which is why single spawning to ease the difficulty is popular.

Another thing I notice is the amount of experience, you do get more for a full game, and I'm fairly certain you get more still in a full game where you're soloing. Someone once told me the maximum EXP caps out at 5 players.

So some simple questions arise:
-Is my line of thinking correct?
-How does exp based on players work?
-Does EXP cap at 5 players

Any other useful information about the subject would be appreciated as well.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Player settings questions
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:01 pm 

not sure about the difficulty of the spawn but the exp gain is highest in a full game. i dont think it caps at 5 either.

a great way to see the difference is to load a lvl 40 ish that can solo the normal council then go from 5 to 8 players each run .. big difference.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 pm 

From my experience (no i don't I have never gandered at the code).
I believe that trash hps are not governed by the .dll. Bosses are.

Monsters are spawned for several screens around. Once spawned their hp should not change. Which is why 'single spawning' works at all. It is also why it feels like there is a time lag between when number of players changes and the monster strength changes.

I was never under the impression that XP was shared evenly between the one that got the killing blow and other party members. (As a related example to show that there are some triggers in the shared xp system: don't you, or your merc, have to get the kill for merc to gain xp?)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:28 am 

Well when I played afk prayer bot and my friend ran a bowazon we remained the same level despite him killing everything, so I can only assume experience is evenly shared.

An anomaly is I seem to get 'more' exp, that is to say the levels go a lot more quickly when I'm clearing tundras opposed to just leeching, but I can only assume that this is because I'm preoccupied and killing things as opposed to watching my bar go up.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:28 pm 

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/ba ... ence.shtml

http://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Experience

Since monsters life was 200% (3 spawn), I figured you would get the same exp 1 spawn or 3 spawn (200%), I haven't found this so. I've always been able to notice an exp difference from having 2 mules in game vs riding solo.

As for monster difficulty, I assume you're talking about soloing or 3 spawning bosses and how they react? Boss AI is a mystery to me. Sometimes I think bosses will go nuts and move 2x faster vs a character with low vita, or using a certain item. We've all see Diablo target only 1 character in the party.....why...not sure. I don't think the player spawn has anything to do with it, I'm thinking more stats/skills/gear affects the boss AI making him seem harder.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:28 pm 

I'm saying that player difficulty was stated to be always set at 3+, but I notice a large difference between a single spawn and a triple spawn boss in terms of damage/HP.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:16 am 

Well...by looking at the monster hp table refered to in furycury's links...

monhp = X * (n + 1) / 2
where X = base Hit Points n = # of players in game
1=100%
2=150%
3=200%
4= 250%
5=300%
6=350%
7=400%
8=450%

and comparing it to D2Mod.ini
1=100%
2=100%
3=200%
4= 300%
5=375%
6=450%
7=475%
8=500%

Which means that SS is SS, but having 2 people in gives the same results as 1.
Why did I think these were additive...my lord the amount I have forgotten about this game is getting scary.

Offline Profile