Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 am

Post subject: Best elemental act1 merc setup?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:00 pm 

Hey guys. Need some help and opinions on an A1 fire or cold mercenary.

I'm a fury druid and need an elemental type of mercenary for physical immune monsters.

First off, I didn't know whether to go cold or fire. I thought explosion arrow (fire) was one of best skills for them, which is why I wanted fire at fire, but some of these cold bows seem really nice.

As for the gear. What to do? I know for armor and rings to use things that enhance that element. As for the bow... Do I go for something with good physical damage? Or something that adds elemental damage. Some examples below. Ice adds nice enhanced damage for the weapons physical damage, but Wonder adds 250-500 cold damage which seems like it would help. Does that added elemental damage add to their cold spells? Does physical add to their cold spells, in other words, does it convert physical to elemental??

Below are some weapons that may be worthy of use.

Ice
25% Chance to Cast Level 25 Frost Nova when Struck
50% Chance to Cast Level 50 Frost Nova when Striking
Level 12 Holy Freeze Aura When Equipped
+250-300% Enhanced Damage
+25% to Cold Skill Damage
-25% to Enemy Cold Resistance
(240-300)% Extra Gold from Monsters
8% Life Stolen per Hit
+20% Increased Attack Speed
+10% Increased Run/Walk Speed
4% Chance of Crushing Blow
15% Chance of Deadly Strike

Spells it casts are okay, Wonder seems better for that. Adds holy freeze which helps. Does nice enhanced phsyical damage, adds less cold enhanced and enemy res than wonder, adds less ias than wonder. Has crushing and deadly. Level 80 req.

Wonder
10% Chance to Cast Level 50 Blizzard when Attacking
10% Chance to Cast Level 50 Frozen Orb when Attacking
+30-35% to Cold Skill Damage
-30% to Enemy Cold Resistance
Adds 250-500 Cold Damage
Cannot be Frozen
40% Increased Attack Speed
20% Faster Run Walk
+30 to Dexterity
Adds 6 Damage

Real nice spells it casts, blizzard and frozen orb. Adds great enhanced cold damage and enemy res. Also adds 250-500 cold damage, good IAS and dex bonus as well as FRW. Only level 65 req.

Phoenix
25% Chance to Cast Level 33 Blaze when Struck
66% Chance to Cast Level 33 Firestorm when Attacking
Level 12 Redemption Aura When Equipped
Adds 250-500 Fire Damage
-25% to Enemy Fire Resistance
+250% Enhanced Damage
Fire Absorb 20%
24% Mana Stolen per Hit (In Weapons)
15% Chance of Deadly Strike (In Weapons)
4% Chance of Crushing Blow (In Weapons)

The spells it casts are good, redemption should keep mercenary alive, adds good fire damage but no fire bonus. Also adds nice physical damage. Deadly and crushing is nice as well.

Brand
30% Chance to Cast Level 10 Amplify Damage when Struck
100% Chance to Cast Level 25 Bone Spear when Attacking
Fires Explosive Arrows (Level 10)
+300% Enhanced Damage
+300% Damage to Demons
Knockback
+40% Increased Attack Speed
15% Chance of Deadly Strike
Adds 24-36 Magic Damage
+5% to Magic Skill Damage
50% Bonus to Attack Rating

Not sure if this will be useful...

Faith
Level 10 Fanaticism Aura when Equipped
+3 to All Skills
+350% Enhanced Damage
300% Bonus to Attack Rating
Resist All +20%
Reanimate As: Returned (10%)
Replenish Quantity (1 per 30 Seconds)
100% Extra Gold from Monsters
+100 to Attack Rating Against Undead
+100% Damage to Undead

Fanta will help the merc's speed and damage and my druids damage and attack rating as well. Adds nice skill and enhanced damage. Not sure if this is a good choice for elemental bowas

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Best elemental act1 merc setup?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:53 pm 

+Fire or +Cold damage to attack (like the 250-500 on Wonder) is added to both the strike and area effect of bow skills (Exploding or Immo Arrow (not the flames), and Freezing arrow respectively). So, if you get +250-500 Fire damage, then the monster hit by an exploding arrow takes extra 250-500 for being hit, and then if he's in the radius of the explosion, the explosion does an additional 250-500 fire damage more than it normally would. This makes Mavina's set peices very nice for a bowzon or NM Elemental Rogue.

A critical problem with your choice of gear is that On Attack spells never fire from bow weapons. Only On Strike works. This means "Ice" gets and extra 550 damage from the level 50 FrostNova, while "Wonder" will never cast Blizzard or FOrb.

Holy Auras reduce enemy resistances by 20%, and can even break immunities if the monster has up to 104% resistance. However, the damage added to attack by these auras is negligable (+80-90 for level 12 HolyFreeze). This aura is one of the reasons "Ice" is still much better than "Wonder" (also, "Wonder" has a typo, it has -24%Res not -30%Res).

The physical damage of the bow never affects the elemental damage by the rogue, except when they're using Ice or Fire arrow (NM and Hell Rogues only use these 25% of the time). However, one of the reasons rogues are nicer in many situations than an A3 merc is because the rogue can leach life, so a sturdy bow is a good choice. Another big benefit of the rogue is how easily she procs curses (Amp and LRes exist on bows).

Rogue's faster-attack breakpoints are horrible. The last breakpoint for a rogue is something like 10 frames per attack (2.5 attacks per second). At worst they are someting like 1.7 attacks per second. Also, they don't appear to be slowed down by the "reload penalty" of crossbows, so stuff like Buriza is a nice mid-game weapon.

Some points related to the above:
1) "Ice" is far better than "Wonder" for rogues, but it's still not that great.
2) Runeword bows aren't that great for elemental bow attacks because of the capped +Dmg to attack.

I'd recommend the following:
1) Use Mav's gloves, belt, and hat. There's lots of +Elemental dmg, they should be easy to get since no one plays elemental bowzons. The 3 peices together give 50% pierce, will will top-up your rogue's pierce to 100%. Piercing explosions are very important for improving your damage.
2) Consider Hellrack crossbow. It has plenty of physical damage for leach, 3 open sockets for Uber Gems (the +Dmg and -12%Res will work great). There is an unconfirmed rumor that the +30ImmoArrow oSkill will give your fire rogue +30ImmoArrow. I think Hellrack should also be easy to get, since bowzons seem to prefer the faster-attacking Bows over crossbows.
3) For whatever armor you select, if you just want damage, then socket it with Facets. Trade for the low 3/4% types that people seem to sell or something (these are still surprisingly hard to get).

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:25 pm 

Brevan wrote:
+Fire or +Cold damage to attack (like the 250-500 on Wonder) is added to both the strike and area effect of bow skills (Exploding or Immo Arrow (not the flames), and Freezing arrow respectively). So, if you get +250-500 Fire damage, then the monster hit by an exploding arrow takes extra 250-500 for being hit, and then if he's in the radius of the explosion, the explosion does an additional 250-500 fire damage more than it normally would. This makes Mavina's set peices very nice for a bowzon or NM Elemental Rogue.

A critical problem with your choice of gear is that On Attack spells never fire from bow weapons. Only On Strike works. This means "Ice" gets and extra 550 damage from the level 50 FrostNova, while "Wonder" will never cast Blizzard or FOrb.

Holy Auras reduce enemy resistances by 20%, and can even break immunities if the monster has up to 104% resistance. However, the damage added to attack by these auras is negligable (+80-90 for level 12 HolyFreeze). This aura is one of the reasons "Ice" is still much better than "Wonder" (also, "Wonder" has a typo, it has -24%Res not -30%Res).

The physical damage of the bow never affects the elemental damage by the rogue, except when they're using Ice or Fire arrow (NM and Hell Rogues only use these 25% of the time). However, one of the reasons rogues are nicer in many situations than an A3 merc is because the rogue can leach life, so a sturdy bow is a good choice. Another big benefit of the rogue is how easily she procs curses (Amp and LRes exist on bows).

Rogue's faster-attack breakpoints are horrible. The last breakpoint for a rogue is something like 10 frames per attack (2.5 attacks per second). At worst they are someting like 1.7 attacks per second. Also, they don't appear to be slowed down by the "reload penalty" of crossbows, so stuff like Buriza is a nice mid-game weapon.

Some points related to the above:
1) "Ice" is far better than "Wonder" for rogues, but it's still not that great.
2) Runeword bows aren't that great for elemental bow attacks because of the capped +Dmg to attack.

I'd recommend the following:
1) Use Mav's gloves, belt, and hat. There's lots of +Elemental dmg, they should be easy to get since no one plays elemental bowzons. The 3 peices together give 50% pierce, will will top-up your rogue's pierce to 100%. Piercing explosions are very important for improving your damage.
2) Consider Hellrack crossbow. It has plenty of physical damage for leach, 3 open sockets for Uber Gems (the +Dmg and -12%Res will work great). There is an unconfirmed rumor that the +30ImmoArrow oSkill will give your fire rogue +30ImmoArrow. I think Hellrack should also be easy to get, since bowzons seem to prefer the faster-attacking Bows over crossbows.
3) For whatever armor you select, if you just want damage, then socket it with Facets. Trade for the low 3/4% types that people seem to sell or something (these are still surprisingly hard to get).

Thanks!

Someone told me about hellrack. Thats why I'm going with fire merc.

3x bloodstones in it will add Adds 320-480 Fire Damage 960-1440(not including the 250-500 ele it adds) -36% to Enemy Fire Resistance. I was also told that it caps immolation arrow at level 3? not sure though.

How hard are Rainbow Facet (Fire: Fire Ball) to get?

Mavinas helm and belt are a must. I was considering lavagoat gloves for ias, fire dmg, enchant, and negative enemy res. I'd like to get 2 eye of flame rings as well for more damage. Not sure what to do for armor and boots. Maybe COH until I can get a War armor.

The body is but a vessel for the soul, a puppet which bends to the souls tyranny. And lo, the body is not eternal, for it must feed on the flesh of others, lest it return to the dust from whence it came. Therefore the soul deceive, despise and murder men.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:31 am 

Yeah, I assume the oSkill from HellRack would cap ImmoArrow +3 too, but people swear that ImmortalFlesh adds 12 Prayer to their A2 mercs, so I guess the crossbow will add 30. I'll believe it when I see it though.

Don't get caught up on the notion that you have to get FBall facets. I know level 40 FireStorm doesn't do much, but it's better than nothing, which is exactly what the "FireBall OnAttack" will do for your merc. Besides, it's just the FireDmg to attack that you're after anyways, that's why the +%/-% doesn't matter that much.

Don't get lavagout, read my post above again. Here are the relevant points:
- 20% ias is pointless since rogues attack so slow no matter what
- 120-180 FireDmg to attack is nothing compared to piercing that 1 extra monster and causing another 5000 dmg explosion.
- -10% Enemy res isn't bad, but it's not better than the extra explosions you'd get from Mav's gloves. Pierce-Target is your friend.

Complete the elementalist set if you're going to use it at all. The full-set bonus Fire damage is larger than having 2 fire rings. You lose out on -10%Res, but you gain lots of resists, +2 Skills, 20% life, etc. I know your merc is only meant to handle phys immunes, but it'll be frustrating if she's a total glass cannon.

I'm not sure why you've been suggesting runewords for all your gear, are you trying to preserve a theme? If not, then you may as well do what all elemental builds do, and get Templar'sMight with facets. If you're able to get "War" and "CoHonour" then I'm sure you can afford the facets and Templar's. If you'd still rather use a runeword for the fun of a theme, then "War", "CoHonour", or "Fortitude" seem fine. The last two would be pretty decent for phys dmg buffs to improve leach.

For boots, InfernoStride seems like a simple enough choice. WarTravellers are also nice for the large phys damage boost they give mercs (They add someting like 1k-2k last I noticed). If you change your mind and want to try FreezingArrow, then you could try StormWalks, since they give a little cold dmg nowadays.

Offline Profile