Login | Register

All times are UTC - 5 hours

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Post subject: Slappy's Double Throw Barb Guide
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:20 am 

I've had this drafted for over a year now, and figured I'd post it even though some of the info might be outdated and I haven't really been playing the last couple months.

I wrote most of this during 1.3b. I've actually got a couple PM's about throw barbs in general so I thought it'd be beneficial to put out a basic guide for those who are interested.

Stats: ~150 str, 50 dex, rest vit
Skills: 20 Inc Stam, BO, Frenzy, Throw Mastery, Dbl Throw (yes, last :lol: ). I'm remaking with no BO so I can max dbl swing as well.

Gear:
Demonhorn Edge (rubies)
Tyraels Might (rubies)
World Stone Granite
Shadow Dancers
Steelrends
Maras
Barb str rings (still need some blood craft ones)

I keep an eth Lacerator in my cube depending on whether I have a necro around for amp. I keep 2x wiz spikes on wep switch and 2x glittering suns stashed in the cube for hork.

Prebuff w/ venom:
Ormus/Andy's Visage/Arachnids Mesh/2x Pestilence/2x soj/Venom Grip/Cast craft boots. This puts me at lvl ~60 venom. ~10k over .5 second duration.

He is also my goldfinder (although lately I've been using Imp's because his is full of wirt jewels), but that gear set up is pretty obvious (lust/coa/dwarf stars/glitteringsuns/chance guards/holy boots/goldwrap, on me AND my merc :) )

Now the fun stuff-
One 480% rare eth tossing trinket, with ED% jewels
I could roll a better one, still working on it.

Main hand is an eth gimmershred with 2 20/54% jewels, which gets it to 120 ias (only main hand applies dbl throw)

Breakpoints
I haven't EVER thought to myself, "wow, I'm throwing really really slow, I wonder what the next breakpoint is?". With max frenzy active and fanat you throw fast. Period. (ok, ok, maybe not with an uber slow + holy freeze + confuse TT)

FHR
Feasible ones are
48% = 5f
86% = 4f

Obviously dont care about fbr or fcr (although being able to bo/hork fast is nice)

Drawbacks
-COUNTERS!
I basically will click on a boss a couple times per second in a normal party to avoid mass lag+death. That's why I will only unleash on high counter bosses with a summon necro or druid (or solo 8-) ). All the buffs from summon druids is party time for a thrower, and a necro with max amp? YES PLZ! Plus the summons hopefully are strong enough to eat the counters :)

-Venom!
I was really really excited to get this set up like sex. The physical dmg on throwers has never been super crazy good, so I was thinking a full psn set up would make up for that. 10k psn dmg over .5 seconds?!?!? With decent pierce. That's way more DPS than rabies! The problem lies with the duration... a boss with 50% PLR = .25 second duration, etc etc etc. It's really tough to keep the bosses inflicted, even with a high AR. On top of that, I'm not sure the display dmg or how it is being applied is even correct, because Imp and I did some testing with one rabies tap vs a few throws on baal and the results were absolute shit for Venom. With that said, Venom absolutely rapes trash and is a huge compliment vs sub bosses that don't have ridiculous PLR or Poison Res, and it's the only thing he's got vs Phys Immunes.

-Expensive/Underpowered
With the equivalent gear (rlore/temps) on a rabies druid, surely he's outclassed, but everyone and their mom has a rabies druid

I wanted to do a walkthrough for non-twinked throwers normal - hell, but never got around to it. Instead I'll just post the pic of the furthest I ever got a thrower on HU-
http://i.imgur.com/Ejd3RN9.jpg?1
SS is might merc, max how druid in party, Also dbl throw display dmg was bugged at the time, I think the actual dmg was about 50% of the display at that point. Was holding eth lacerator in the lower dmg hand. Dat amp. Without lacerator (in case of big amp from necro in party) I forget what my other dmg weapon was. The next ladder I tried making a massive CB% thrower but it was too expensive per how effective it was. Really vs bosses if I had a max necro amp I could pwn but otherwise it was abysmal.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Slappy's Double Throw Barb Guide
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:06 am 

Decent guide man! I played one back in the day. Fun char!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:47 pm 

Wut is a hork?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:06 pm 

Ensley03 wrote:
Wut is a hork?

the skill "find item"
when you do it he sounds like he's saying HORK

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:51 pm 

jaykayrox wrote:
Decent guide man! I played one back in the day. Fun char!

Homopatches.

Offline Profile